Brookie first top flight rugby league ground in the world with synthetic turf

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
IF it's good enough for the NFL arena, it's good enough the NRL.

In a revolutionary move, Brookvale Oval could become the first top flight rugby league ground in the world to be laid with synthetic turf.

Read the full article

RE: Brookvale Oval could become first top flight rugby league ground in the world

A great idea, Brookvale has been a heavy track for years and this would allow more junior league to be played at the ground.

I wonder if there are statistics on leg injuries at all NRL venues?

RE: Brookvale Oval light with synthetic turf

Why not. The new artificial grass is a lot better then the stuff in days gone by. The old stuff used to cause skin problem in some ppl.

Brookvale Oval could become first league ground in the world with synthetic turf

interesting idea - would give us another type of home ground advantage as we would be most experienced with playing on synthetic turf.

As stated the NFL have put the money into the technology so its a mature enough product.

RE: Brookvale Oval could become first league ground in the world with synthetic turf

Fluffy said:
interesting idea - would give us another type of home ground advantage as we would be most experienced with playing on synthetic turf.

As stated the NFL have put the money into the technology so its a mature enough product.

Well, they wear full body covering clothes but what the hey. Actually, does the lingerie league play on synthetic too? If so I call for a survey of those athletes to see if their skin is ok.

I like it. It has come leaps and bounds since it was first introduced.

It would hopefully reduce a number of injuries caused by rough surfaces.

I wonder if the grass burn injuries would increase?

RE: Brookvale Oval could become first league ground in the world with synthetic turf

Shoe1 said:
Fluffy said:

Well, they wear full body covering clothes but what the hey. Actually, does the lingerie league play on synthetic too? If so I call for a survey of those athletes to see if their skin is ok.

I volunteer to do the survey and I will pay my own airfare.

THe only thing that would change would be Brett Stewart not doing his belly flop dive after he plants the ball - I think that would surely hurt.

Stupid idea, as a greenkeeper I know the benefits of good turf, Brookvales turf is woeful, the soils used are sand and are meant to be well draining but it doesn't happen, if the council say they pay 150,000 a year for turf and maintenance give me 50,000 to do it and I'll maintain it, fertilisation, drainage and irrigation with some new turf the place will look awesome ! Realistically if they're paying 150,000 a year on the ground then it shouldn't be as bad as it is!

Widnes have one, article is incorrect. We play on them in Norway too. Not too bad if you wear "skins" stops the carpet burns. Might not be practical in warmer weather..

Daley as usual has nfi

Im not so sure about this one.

I know the NFL use sythetic grass but IMO the types of play and tackling done in NFL is fairly different compared to an NRL game in terms of how players are tackled or tackling and diving on the grass etc

I wonder how soft it would be to land on if for example your running up field full sprint and someone were to tackle you from behind or something like that, I cant imagine it being a soft landing or would it ?

bennyeagle said:
Stupid idea, as a greenkeeper I know the benefits of good turf, Brookvales turf is woeful, the soils used are sand and are meant to be well draining but it doesn't happen, if the council say they pay 150,000 a year for turf and maintenance give me 50,000 to do it and I'll maintain it, fertilisation, drainage and irrigation with some new turf the place will look awesome ! Realistically if they're paying 150,000 a year on the ground then it shouldn't be as bad as it is!

Send Council a email with that proposal
You never know they may respond

There is a new syntehtic soccer ground at Blacktown that my mate has played premier league on and it is suprisingly soft and very life like for what it is.. that is for soccer though wether it would work for NRL and blokes getting dragged across the surface etc i dont know.

What about the effects it could have on the kicking games? I'm guessing it will be a lot harder to stop a ball from rolling on synthetic turf and the consistent bounce might mean it would just keep going. 40/20s might be a lot easier. My major concern though is how different it would be from other grounds, I'd be worried it would mean changing our style too much and becoming accustomed to those conditions. Whilst it might make us even tougher to beat at Brookie, does it mean its more difficult for us to win away? Just hypothesizing.

Whilst I’m all for a better playing surface, which should have happened long before now, it’s interesting that Council apparently has a lazy $1 mil laying around to install a synthetic surface. There are other parts of Brookvale Oval that could benefit from that sort of investment. I’m sure a concrete pathway between the back of the scoreboard end and the dunnies in the N-E corner could come in at around $25-30 thousand, if that. That’s a major improvement (by Brooky standards) right there!

If it doesn't change the way the game is played then i'm all for it.

I wonder how sliding in for tries would go in the wet? Would the slide try be a thing of the past?

Actually we'd be 2nd in league to have it.
Widnes already has it in the ESL.
Wish Ritchie would research his stuff before submitting it.

bennyeagle said:

Didn't the council go for the cheaper option when they recently improved the ground surface?

They should have spent a bit more and put in place excellent drainage and soil and with better turf i don't see an issue with playing more often on the ground.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2