Brookie first top flight rugby league ground in the world with synthetic turf

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lads - they have done the same thing on the northshore to a ground

I am lucky enough to play on it this weekend (it cost over 100k to do it) will let you know how i get on

lsz said:
Lads - they have done the same thing on the northshore to a ground

I am lucky enough to play on it this weekend (it cost over 100k to do it) will let you know how i get on

look forward to your report.

Checking out some sites, it seems to be laid on a base of compacted sand, 1 or 2 layers of shock absorbing padding, then the grass on top.

party on!

Whilst I like the idea of Brookie potentially leading the way in the NRL with a suitable artifical turf, I have significant doubts about any such product really suiting league well.

I do like the idea of a uniform, predictable surface, but it needs to be soft & deep enough to act kinda like turf underfoot, when sliding, tackling, running, etc.

At a glance, I say scrap that idea and re-turf Brookie with the best suitable footy dirt/sand/turf combo available, that should be there anyway for the current champions' home ground, also of course one of the great heartland old-school grounds.

I played on it and have to say it was one of the best football (soccer) experiences for years

The true bounce etc was amazing. I did a few slide tackles etc and it did not hurt any more than other grounds - it was no worse than slightly firm ground (the sort you get a few weeks into the year). Most of the lads in the team said they felt far more confident in running on it than other grounds

I thought i might be sore today but have pulled up well. For mind it is the way forward for football as the benefits of true bounce and almost limitless play by multiple teams

An aside - the ground i played on cost 1.4 million dollars (10 years life) and was funded by Sydney Water. They capture all the water under the ground and have saved massive $$$ that wat

lsz said:
I played on it and have to say it was one of the best football (soccer) experiences for years

The true bounce etc was amazing. I did a few slide tackles etc and it did not hurt any more than other grounds - it was no worse than slightly firm ground (the sort you get a few weeks into the year). Most of the lads in the team said they felt far more confident in running on it than other grounds

I thought i might be sore today but have pulled up well. For mind it is the way forward for football as the benefits of true bounce and almost limitless play by multiple teams

An aside - the ground i played on cost 1.4 million dollars (10 years life) and was funded by Sydney Water. They capture all the water under the ground and have saved massive $$$ that wat

thanks for that. How do you think the rugby league players would go on it with the bit hits into the ground? I know they have one in windnes but your thoughts?

lsz said:

So no carpet burn type grazes?

No Grazes for me (the worst part was some black "tyre" bits that flew up every now and then)

Put it this way - I played in normal moulded football boots (it is not like the astro turf you see on cricket pitches etc)

In terms of hits I would think the ground would need to be a touch more "cushy". I was fine the couple of times I hit the deck however I am not sure how i would have gone if it i was tackled into ot

Couldn't be worse than Norht Sydney oval or the SCG middle cricket areas. Very hard surfaces back in the day.

For all this talk about the Brookie oval turf, wasn't it completely relaid in the off season as part of the upgrade process? Walking around after the games it seems much better than it used to be.

I agree. I've moved on from believing the ground will be re-laid with astro-turf.

I am just interested in how they did it (google was my friend) and in the opinions from someone who played on some (hooray for Isz)

DSM5 said:
Couldn't be worse than Norht Sydney oval or the SCG middle cricket areas. Very hard surfaces back in the day.

heres the thing dsm it was not that hard at all

i played another game this weekend (on grass) and it was worse

I have played sports on synthetic turf and you do get burns on the odd occasion when you go for a slide. In addition, i still think grass would be a better option for the player.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4