Barrett under pressure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Will baz get the sack if we miss the finals

• Yes

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 67.7%

• Total voters
I sometimes wonder if some people have been watching this game for years .... I stopped entering tipping comps a decade ago because of the complete inconsistency of ALL results, EVERY WEEK.

There are huge swings in form and momentum from half to half ... let alone week to week. And it happens to all teams, unless like Bellamy you have 8 SOO players ... but even Melb aren't immune.

The only thing certain for me is we will have some more great victories this year and at least 10 more disappointing loses.

Welcome to footy circa 2000's

At least there is one thing we can all agree ... Anthony Griffin is the worst coach in the NRL ..... No, Shiite, wait on. make that the best coach in the NRL

Hmmm, good point Woodsie.

I think I need to learn from you and stay clear.of the forums after a loss. I'm too weak these days to get in an argument with anyone. Just don't have the heart or courage anymore.

Have to ask you though mate, what would you change (if anything) for next week?

For me (and I know some will think some of my points are stupid):

Lussick to start, AFB to bench
Hastings to start, Croker to NSW Cup
Brown back to bench
Winterstein to start, Thompson to bench

IF Walker is fit, him to start (sorry everyone), Parker to NSW Cup

You 100% can move the ball to the edges with depth in these conditions, just like Souths done to score a few tries including the first try after 2 minutes and make numerous breaks out wide throughout the match.
Manly made it clear they were playing through the middle very early and did not look to alter this plan, which certainly did not work.
The only reason Manly did not offload is the fact Souths locked up the ball shutting down second phase play.
On the other hand - Souths were not locked up and offloaded constantly regardless of the conditions.
We will take a disagree card on this because Souths played like a team that knew how Manly would play, it was frustrating to not have some variation....the players looked like the energy was gone after the game plan was not working.
Souths moved the ball to the edges when they'd earned the right, by winning the ruck. We can't move the ball to the edges for the sake of it. We needed to match the Bunnies in the middle and we continually lost the ruck, which makes it impossible to shift the ball. You can do it, but you just "palm the problem off onto a teammate" as Gus Gould likes to call it. It's what Parramatta did against us at Brookvale the week before.

You 100% can move the ball to the edges with depth in these conditions, just like Souths done to score a few tries including the first try after 2 minutes and make numerous breaks out wide throughout the match.
Manly made it clear they were playing through the middle very early and did not look to alter this plan, which certainly did not work.
The only reason Manly did not offload is the fact Souths locked up the ball shutting down second phase play.
On the other hand - Souths were not locked up and offloaded constantly regardless of the conditions.
We will take a disagree card on this because Souths played like a team that knew how Manly would play, it was frustrating to not have some variation....the players looked like the energy was gone after the game plan was not working.
Listen to the press conference where Baz spells it all out.

Can I just say though, I respect your opinion and I know that my opinion is also just that; an opinion. I don't want to discourage healthy debate about game plans and structures and what not, because it is very interesting and it's impossible to really measure the accuracy of a range of variables. Even Baz is probably trying to get to the bottom of what happened yesterday.

he dreaded Storm are always confident in their own ability but never arrogant enough to think that they only have to run onto the field and the game is theirs.
That's Bellamy.

You seriously don’t see the Storm play in such an inconsistent way. Bellamy would not tolerate it.
Round 4 in 2006 (Bellamy's 3rd year, same as Barrett now) Storm put on 50 then next week get hammered themselves by 30. Sound familiar?

Fact is we are a work in progress (and Barrett is too, he will get a harder edge from experiences like this).

I fully expect a strong performance from Manly back at Brookie next week. We still may lose but it will be all guns blazing. Quietly confident but won't put any money on it, haha.

Hmmm, good point Woodsie.

I think I need to learn from you and stay clear.of the forums after a loss. I'm too weak these days to get in an argument with anyone. Just don't have the heart or courage anymore.

Have to ask you though mate, what would you change (if anything) for next week?

For me (and I know some will think some of my points are stupid):

Lussick to start, AFB to bench
Hastings to start, Croker to NSW Cup
Brown back to bench
Winterstein to start, Thompson to bench

IF Walker is fit, him to start (sorry everyone), Parker to NSW Cup

Other than Walker if available, I wouldn't change anything. That team is arguably our best available 17 (and just came off from flogging Parra 54-0), and in footy you have to give them the opportunity to atone for their sins. A coach that doesn't publicly back his players quickly loses them.

If they don't rip in #nextweek, then the axe falls and they know why

If what we hear about the salary cap punishments coming this week are true,they won’t be able to afford to sack Barrett anyway

Listen to the press conference where Baz spells it all out.

Can I just say though, I respect your opinion and I know that my opinion is also just that; an opinion. I don't want to discourage healthy debate about game plans and structures and what not, because it is very interesting and it's impossible to really measure the accuracy of a range of variables. Even Baz is probably trying to get to the bottom of what happened yesterday.
I appreciate that mate, because certainly have plenty of time for your opinions also.
In actual fact, even on these thoughts- there’s a fairly close view on what transpired and probably just summed up with differing interpretations.
Fact is without seeing the presser yet, had an off day and trying to pinpoint 1 area is tough, as we were a few % down across the board on that performance.

Last edited:
Des is too weird these days and I think he’s over cooked his coaching brain and lost touch with his old magic but I base that on nothing but my own feelings, observations and attitude toward him in this current day.
I would however take Donny Singe back to replace Dan Ferris in a heart beat though...
Love the Don!!!
The Don and Matty Ballin are the two guys I wish I could swap Ferris for

I sometimes wonder if some people have been watching this game for years .... I stopped entering tipping comps a decade ago because of the complete inconsistency of ALL results, EVERY WEEK.

There are huge swings in form and momentum from half to half ... let alone week to week. And it happens to all teams, unless like Bellamy you have 8 SOO players ... but even Melb aren't immune.

The only thing certain for me is we will have some more great victories this year and at least 10 more disappointing loses.

Welcome to footy circa 2000's

At least there is one thing we can all agree ... Anthony Griffin is the worst coach in the NRL ..... No, Shiite, wait on. make that the best coach in the NRL

Very good points there

@Woodsie If I was stuck in trenches then I'd want to be down there with you. You're one of the most level-headed and "battle-hardened" blokes I can think of. And we could start a Margot Robbie appreciation club

I'd also have @globaleagle there cause if I'm going to die then it may as well be a farking good time

And @Mark from Brisbane as Mark would also give me hope that there would be a #nextweek

Very good points there

@Woodsie If I was stuck in trenches then I'd want to be down there with you. You're one of the most level-headed and "battle-hardened" blokes I can think of. And we could start a Margot Robbie appreciation club

I'd also have @globaleagle there cause if I'm going to die then it may as well be a farking good time

And @Mark from Brisbane as Mark would also give me hope that there would be a #nextweek
Thanks for not inviting me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Come on Ryan stop providing the annual "inflate trends" posts with trial games included every year, mind you the trend is you tend to provide them yearly lol so can't knock your consistency.(makes for a good laugh all good)

Trends and stats are meaningless if you are unable to understand the reasoning behind them.

One of Hasler's weaknesses is he has all the stats/trends but lacks the eye test ability---- gives the impression he doesn't question the values or understands them as they may be misleading.

I have no idea what any of this means. It is like listening to Christopher Pyne.

How would every other coach go with large chunks of their cap missing?

Last it was Brett and Stevey M...lord knows what our cap is this year. I am not saying he is the greatest coach in the world but it is pretty difficult to compare him when it is not a level playing field

Round 4 in 2006 (Bellamy's 3rd year, same as Barrett now) Storm put on 50 then next week get hammered themselves by 30. Sound familiar?

Fact is we are a work in progress (and Barrett is too, he will get a harder edge from experiences like this).

I fully expect a strong performance from Manly back at Brookie next week. We still may lose but it will be all guns blazing. Quietly confident but won't put any money on it, haha.

Ok, let's see if Barrett goes anywhere near matching what Bellamy has done with the Storm.

Barrett has done quite well with one arm tied behind his back. Please consider for starters:

Greenberg’s annual vendetta against the Sea Eagles and all that entails;

Stewart and Matai sidelined last year;

Still paying (This Island Earth’s) Nate Myles’s salary; and

Anything else that takes your fancy.

I have no idea what any of this means. It is like listening to Christopher Pyne.
Christopher Pyne would have no idea either.

For example, not all metres after contact are the same, not all yardage is the same, not all assists are the same,not all tackle counts are the same etc etc--- your eyes should see the value in a player, stats alone without questioning them or putting them to the test are meaningless.

Des Hasler has page after page of stats to the point where they just ended up being numbers.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10