Barrett under pressure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Will baz get the sack if we miss the finals

• Yes

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 67.7%

• Total voters
I'm giving the players the benefit of the doubt with yesterday's game. It's easy for us to sit back and criticise them but we can only imagine how they felt playing in a 38 degrees once-in-a blue-moon heatwave and the after-effects of it. Is it any wonder they were flat and lethargic.

Barrett had said before the game they'd forgotten about last week from Wednesday and moved on, but clearly they had not, mentally and physically. Imho this was an unusual circumstance for which I cut them some slack. They and Barrett had better turn it all around next week though.

Sack Barrett!!! Barrett is the greatest ever!!

The reality (as usual) is somewhere in the middle. I was happy last year to make the finals (having missed out for 2 years) so that showed improvement. Let's give credit where it's due. But then we get carried away and think a premiership is our right this year.

Barrett has shown some good and some bad things. I think we have improved since he took over, but that also doesn't make him immune to criticism. His use of the bench was again I believe poor. Perrett getting stuff all time. Plus the inability to make tough calls at times.

Was the attitude of the players poor yesterday? Yup. They must take some blame, but it's also the coaches job to get them going.

I do think the most obvious thing is Hastings needs more time. But having said that, maybe that destroys Crokers confidence......and tbaz doesn't want to throw him under the bus.

When a bunch of blokes dont have a crack. Questions do have to be asked.

One more Disgraceful performance like yesterday and he is gone before June.

It won't matter if the team are leading the comp. A coach who dosent have a certain amount of discipline, and respect, for the players to not put in AS THEY DIDN'T yesterday. Is just not going to last. Sad really.

In a sense you can here. I think this is the second time they've suffered from the How Great Am I syndrome.
It happened after we beat Penrith in the final competition round of last year. It was clear when our team ran out for the final against that same team that they thought they only had to show up and they had it in the bag. As we all know, that attitude had their pants pulled down.
Ok. Rookie mistake from a rookie finals coach.
But did the coach learn from that?
54-0 last week and Tapau boasting of us winning a premiership and DCE talking origin.
The signs were there. Arrogance.
The dreaded Storm are always confident in their own ability but never arrogant enough to think that they only have to run onto the field and the game is theirs.
That's Bellamy.
We have Barrett and he doesn't appear to be learning.

‘If the attitude isn’t there you can’t blame the coach.’

I am glad there are some posters to counter this argument. I was starting to worry for a while.

Thank you for this post. You seriously don’t see the Storm play in such an inconsistent way. Bellamy would not tolerate it. He certainly wouldn’t tolerate players talking about winning premierships after winning one game, or players talking about looking forward to playing Origin after Round 2. I guess it is a culture thing - something we seem to have lost. SO the coach IS the gatekeeper of consistency.

If you dont think Barrett is under pressure then something is wrong, I dont want him gone but the facts are we play amazing one week, then look like bottom 4 the next, that is not all the players fault, the coach has to take some ownership. I agree that I have called for his head early but from what I've seen throughout the NRL if we miss finals he will go.

I really want him to do well, come on Baz get the troops back on track.

It’s amusing really, I get the needing to vent thing but FMD go back to what you ( not you personally mate, you as in the collective) all wrote last week.

Top 2
Best coach in the game
Let’s not have a Survivor
Hard to pick a MVP all deserve to win.

Blah blah blah

AND NOW

#sackbarrett

Blah blah blah

Remember this everyone

Some days are diamonds!

And some days are stone!
Yeah but we have diamonds every 7 games, thats not good enough to win a comp, which is the ultimate goal.

Interesting that TBaz made them warm up in the rain before the game and souffs warmed up in the sheds. Just saying... They fizzled. :wasntme:

Without wishing to point out the obvious, its not the same people flipping each week. There are two types of people in this world - glass half full and glass half empty - we win big, the glass half full brigade do the gloating, we lose big - the glass half empty brigade do their usual "I told you so" routine. Apologies to any schizophrenics on here.

I went through a dark period ( in a football sense ) I think in 2016.

I changed because it was starting to affect my enjoyment of the game.

As I’ve said elsewhere some days are diamonds and some days are stone!!

Without wishing to point out the obvious, its not the same people flipping each week. There are two types of people in this world - glass half full and glass half empty - we win big, the glass half full brigade do the gloating, we lose big - the glass half empty brigade do their usual "I told you so" routine. Apologies to any schizophrenics on here.

Absolute nonsense. The season is over. No way back from losing to a crap team like Souths. Sack the coach, drop the lot to reggies.

In saying that, we have a great young team, and with Baz at the helm, I am confident we can make the big stage come September.

As I have said before I wouldn’t want you blokes in the trenches with me. FMD it was one game and a game after we played in record temperatures. It is going to be a long season if you are going to react like that after a loss. You only have to be off your game by 5% to get towelled up. This is going to be the closest comp ever and there are going to be upsets so chill out.

Last edited:
The inconsistency is frustrating but I don't think we need to burn the joint down because of it. Some people disguise this "burning" process as an unwillingness to accept mediocrity, but it is really just a lack of emotional intelligence. That's the only thing that could cause someone to be so high one week and so low the next.

I could see yesterday's loss coming a mile away. A desperate Souths team were never going to lose three in a row and Manly were coming off a huge win in 39 degree heat wave. We looked flat walking out to the kick off.

I've heard players say (particularly forwards) that the tempo and momentum of a game is set in the first 10-15 minutes. It only changes when one team take their foot of the gas. Yesterday, Souths did not take their foot off the gas and we started flat. That is the reason why we got flogged, not because we are an average team.

We got beaten to the punch early and could not wrestle back the momentum because we were flat and Souths were desperate. The coach and the players do not need to be sacked or dropped or what ever other hair brained idea pops up.

They just need to learn consistency. However, learning consistency is not as simple as "seek and you shall receive". We know we need it, they know we need it, but it's complicated. It takes time for these young players to mature and it takes time to develop the killer instinct. Sometimes 2-3 seasons. I consider last year to be season 1. The team in 2016 was completely different. Every year it will change slightly and losing Green is a big change. So we are probably 6 months into a 2-3 year learning curve.

Consistency comes with discipline and right attitude. These boys need to harden up and learn to do the basics again. I really miss grinding out wins against good opposition.

The inconsistency is frustrating but I don't think we need to burn the joint down because of it. Some people disguise this "burning" process as an unwillingness to accept mediocrity, but it is really just a lack of emotional intelligence. That's the only thing that could cause someone to be so high one week and so low the next.

I could see yesterday's loss coming a mile away. A desperate Souths team were never going to lose three in a row and Manly were coming off a huge win in 39 degree heat wave. We looked flat walking out to the kick off.

I've heard players say (particularly forwards) that the tempo and momentum of a game is set in the first 10-15 minutes. It only changes when one team take their foot of the gas. Yesterday, Souths did not take their foot off the gas and we started flat. That is the reason why we got flogged, not because we are an average team.

We got beaten to the punch early and could not wrestle back the momentum because we were flat and Souths were desperate. The coach and the players do not need to be sacked or dropped or what ever other hair brained idea pops up.

They just need to learn consistency. However, learning consistency is not as simple as "seek and you shall receive". We know we need it, they know we need it, but it's complicated. It takes time for these young players to mature and it takes time to develop the killer instinct. Sometimes 2-3 seasons. I consider last year to be season 1. The team in 2016 was completely different. Every year it will change slightly and losing Green is a big change. So we are probably 6 months into a 2-3 year learning curve.

But surely sacking the coach will make all the difference!!

Nice post by the way!

Guess what - Canberra are going to be more desperate, and are probably more talented on paper than the Rabbits.

Personally reckon Barrett is a good coach and will support that all day, but it is business and if your not winning, your under pressure.
However, at times there are bad efforts from players and against Souths they were flat and lost and the coaching staff have plenty to do with having teams UP for the game and with a variation of structures around a simple game plan to best work against the opposition on that day.
Thing is - Manly had a similar game plan to last weeks Eels slaughter and Souths obviously predicted it and met them early....but there was no plan B and the Manly team became unravelled taking the same road the entire game and lost interest when it didn't work.
If you watch a Storm/Cows team playing and the opposition are prepared, they ALWAYS have a backup plan and change their game plan on the run....yes this is where ppl call Smith out as THAT player who controls this but I have little doubt Bellamy has a plan B and plan C and numerous ways to counter a team who has the structures worked out.....need to not crumble when plan A fails, otherwise it will be a LOOOONG season...
Watch after next weeks win and the “Barrett walk on water” thread appears.

Last edited:
It’s amusing really, I get the needing to vent thing but FMD go back to what you ( not you personally mate, you as in the collective) all wrote last week.

Top 2
Best coach in the game
Let’s not have a Survivor
Hard to pick a MVP all deserve to win.

Blah blah blah

AND NOW

#sackbarrett

Blah blah blah

Remember this everyone

Some days are diamonds!

And some days are stone!

Agree 100% Mark. Last week he was a supercoach