Andrew Webster article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Andrew Websters article with grreat interest. As a gay man which is whom I am, I believe that gay marriage will eventually come by a consensus of the wider population.

To suggest that I am a product of Satan as described by the drugcastle player well thats saying more about him and his bigotry than it is about any gay or lesbian person.

We do not choose to be this way, its something that is determined long before we know it.

To Darren and Panash, one thing I respect is your right to your opinion. Homophobic opinions are like water off a ducks back to me. You just need to understand that bigotry and ignorance will never get you far.

I grew up knowing who and it took me many years to accept it. I have dealt with the jibes and barbs about it and that is totally over shadowed by the good people in my life.

I have been going to Brooky for 40 years now and enjoy the games with my hetero mates lol. End of the day are we not just footy fans? and dont we just love our Maroon and White heroes?

HH why are you making free speech the issue? The issue is that gays are still subject to discrimination (as well as random physical bashings), and those things wouldn't occur if they weren't still branded evil by pious types such as Stig.

And all you're concerned about is defending his right to keep doing it?

COMMANDER said:
FMD how is this relevant to Manly footy. Should be posted in a forum more suited to it's content, so I don't have to stumble across it here.

"Rugby League Forum. Discuss all things Rugby League in here..."
Er.. nothing I can see there to say we can only discuss on-field stuff ...?

Way too technical for me to get involved, i have my views but they could offend both sides of the fence no matter how technical and well thought out they are.

Can we get back to the subject of not recruiting any player with neck Tatts in the halves so i can deliver the relevant data to support such a case lol.

sheridanstand78 said:
I read Andrew Websters article with grreat interest. As a gay man which is whom I am, I believe that gay marriage will eventually come by a consensus of the wider population.

To suggest that I am a product of Satan as described by the drugcastle player well thats saying more about him and his bigotry than it is about any gay or lesbian person.

We do not choose to be this way, its something that is determined long before we know it.

To Darren and Panash, one thing I respect is your right to your opinion. Homophobic opinions are like water off a ducks back to me. You just need to understand that bigotry and ignorance will never get you far.

I grew up knowing who and it took me many years to accept it. I have dealt with the jibes and barbs about it and that is totally over shadowed by the good people in my life.

I have been going to Brooky for 40 years now and enjoy the games with my hetero mates lol. End of the day are we not just footy fans? and dont we just love our Maroon and White heroes?

And just so you know you're not alone, you have a good old lesbian supporter of 40 odd years screaming for our Mighty Sea Eagles right along side you.

Bottom line is that we all love our club, doesnt matter where you live, what colour skin you have, what your religion, what your gender or sexuality is. We all love the Manly Sea Eagles and the players who represent our club.

A special mention to Ian Roberts who overcame huge bigotry and discrimination to publish a book that inspired thousands of people.

sheridanstand78 said:
Bottom line is that we all love our club, doesnt matter where you live, what colour skin you have, what your religion, what your gender or sexuality is. We all love the Manly Sea Eagles and the players who represent our club.

A special mention to Ian Roberts who overcame huge bigotry and discrimination to publish a book that inspired thousands of people.
....and Peter Fitzsimmons who published Hitchhiking For Ugly People and inspired me to remove the paper bag I habitually donned while hitching.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
sheridanstand78 said:

And just so you know you're not alone, you have a good old lesbian supporter of 40 odd years screaming for our Mighty Sea Eagles right along side you.

I'm a lesbian myself. Just trapped In a males body. :D

Seriously I don't think people are defined by their sexuality. Gay, straight or fence sitters were all humans. I just a person by how they act not who they sleep with.

Its easy to blame Stig for an attitude that has prevailed in our community for thousands of years. When you are conditioned to believe something when you're a child and when its reinforced by those you associate with, its difficult to see outside of the boundaries of that attitude. I'm 62 and I recall when I was younger, that homosexuality was an 'evil'. Certainly it was reinforced by the community and churches of that time. Its only when you become exposed to other values and see the world through different eyes that you begin to question the very values you hold to be sacrosanct.

When I was younger I believed homosexuality was unnatural and against God's will. I had the same attitude to abortion, euthanasia, suicide, unionism, other religions, even Catholicism. Laugh if you like but that was the world I was raised in in the 1950s and 1960s. Indigenous Australians were still seen as lesser people; didnt even have the vote. Suspicion was held regarding the Italians and Greeks because they stuck together and took jobs (sound familiar).

So entrenched were some of those attitudes that many were, and still are, bound in the legal system. I was a Probation and Parole officer for over 30 years and in those early years I actually had some clients on probation because they had been involved in homosexual activities.

Today I recognise homosexuality as just part of human behaviour; even animals participate in such acts. I'm heterosexual myself, but that's through choice, and I believe such choices should remain between consenting adults. I also now agree with abortion, euthanasia; I consider suicide not a crime but a personal expression of despair, sometimes even because of an inherent depressive condition. Its a medical/psychological issue. Indigenous Australians, Italians, Greeks, Catholics and people of other beliefs are no different from anyone else (though I'm still unsure about Queenslanders). And I was a former union official.

The answer so often comes from meeting people of different beliefs, cultures and values and getting to realise that fundamentally they are no different. Unfortunately though we always have a tendency to demonise others who we dont know well and dont understand and may even present an apparent threat to us. Look to the Jewish people as an example through history of that demonising.

Stig is caught obviously in a conditioned attitude that he has never questioned or truly examined. Educate him, dont crucify him

Bearfax said:
I'm heterosexual myself, but that's through choice, and I believe such choices should remain between consenting adults.

Lol. When was it that you decided to be heterosexual? Was it a tough decision? Did you weigh up the pros and cons of being gay before you chose to be straight?
I hope it was as easy a choice for you as choosing to be Caucasian was for me.

Bearfax said:
Its easy to blame Stig for an attitude that has prevailed in our community for thousands of years. When you are conditioned to believe something when you're a child and when its reinforced by those you associate with, its difficult to see outside of the boundaries of that attitude. I'm 62 and I recall when I was younger, that homosexuality was an 'evil'. Certainly it was reinforced by the community and churches of that time. Its only when you become exposed to other values and see the world through different eyes that you begin to question the very values you hold to be sacrosanct.

When I was younger I believed homosexuality was unnatural and against God's will. I had the same attitude to abortion, euthanasia, suicide, unionism, other religions, even Catholicism. Laugh if you like but that was the world I was raised in in the 1950s and 1960s. Indigenous Australians were still seen as lesser people; didnt even have the vote. Suspicion was held regarding the Italians and Greeks because they stuck together and took jobs (sound familiar).

So entrenched were some of those attitudes that many were, and still are, bound in the legal system. I was a Probation and Parole officer for over 30 years and in those early years I actually had some clients on probation because they had been involved in homosexual activities.

Today I recognise homosexuality as just part of human behaviour; even animals participate in such acts. I'm heterosexual myself, but that's through choice, and I believe such choices should remain between consenting adults. I also now agree with abortion, euthanasia; I consider suicide not a crime but a personal expression of despair, sometimes even because of an inherent depressive condition. Its a medical/psychological issue. Indigenous Australians, Italians, Greeks, Catholics and people of other beliefs are no different from anyone else (though I'm still unsure about Queenslanders). And I was a former union official.

The answer so often comes from meeting people of different beliefs, cultures and values and getting to realise that fundamentally they are no different. Unfortunately though we always have a tendency to demonise others who we dont know well and dont understand and may even present an apparent threat to us. Look to the Jewish people as an example through history of that demonising.

Stig is caught obviously in a conditioned attitude that he has never questioned or truly examined. Educate him, dont crucify him

"I'm heterosexual myself, but that's through choice," is sexuality defined by ones acts or thoughts as i doubt any person chooses being Gay or Straight.

It is way too complex a topic for mankind to judge people on, in the end it is not for me to judge but someone up above.

So basically if Gays and Lesbians want marriage equality they can have it and i wont stand in their way i just wont accept or define such relationships as being part of a marriage from a personal point of view.

Laws should treat people as equals regardless of what sex, sexuality or if you were born with any defective gene(which in my definition includes gay and lesbian sexual orientation)

Mal Cochrane said:
We have many gay people at our large workplace, whom generally fit in like everyone else.

One thing i do notice is that it's funny and overlooked when some use their 'humour' to be derogatory against another straight male and get's the laugh from the ladies because he had a go against a strong male.

However if that strong male made the same type of comments, he'd be looking at a warning quick smart. It's the benefit of being in the minority in this day and age.

In saying that, i get along with most as if i would any other person, male or female. But i also don't get the special attention of having their own olympics and street marches. When do the dark brown haired men who play guitar get their own marches and olympics?

It is called hypocrisy and it is quite rampant in this day and age...

SeaEagleRock8 said:
HH why are you making free speech the issue? The issue is that gays are still subject to discrimination (as well as random physical bashings), and those things wouldn't occur if they weren't still branded evil by pious types such as Stig.

And all you're concerned about is defending his right to keep doing it?

You're on a tangent. The point was regarding opinions, and then I noted that people wishing to make their own unpopular one public, will then face those consequences.

People will bash others for any reason they find. I doubt somebody is as deep as to bash a gay because 'Stig and others say they are built by Satan'. Can't see Hillsong gangs roaming the Cross to roll gays, due to their own opinions. More likely just dickheads looking for any excuse to feel tough, targeting somebody 'different'.

Stig will wear the results of his opinion in due time, whether professionally or personally.

Technical Coach said:
Bearfax said:

"I'm heterosexual myself, but that's through choice," is sexuality defined by ones acts or thoughts as i doubt any person chooses being Gay or Straight.

It is way too complex a topic for mankind to judge people on, in the end it is not for me to judge but someone up above.

So basically if Gays and Lesbians want marriage equality they can have it and i wont stand in their way i just wont accept or define such relationships as being part of a marriage from a personal point of view.

Laws should treat people as equals regardless of what sex, sexuality or if you were born with any defective gene(which in my definition includes gay and lesbian sexual orientation)

Your point is well taken.

The use of the word 'choice' refers to preference not to a conscious decision so I should have been more careful with colloquial English.

Yes laws should treat people equally and hopefully we are as a society getting better at that though we have a long way to go. In my job I saw many 'crimes' that should not be considered such. One is the use of illicit drugs. I'm am not here condoning the use of said substances, merely pointing out that often drug use starts when a person is in their early teens and when the user is not yet aware enough of the dangers associated with such black market substances. The problem again is medical/psychological and the law should recognise the difference. To supply for profit though is a crime.

I already mentioned abortion and euthanasia. Both should be personal decisions. I certainly dont want to linger in infirmity if I know I'm dying. Would prefer to do it with a certain amount of control, and not be charged with a crime if I fail.

But society is struggling with values that are millennia in the making and fundamental to our religions and accepted societal norms. They often are establsihed through quite valid reasons in the past but so many are no longer relevant in our world. And again ignorance needs to be educated not heavily penalised. Penalising an attitude rarely changes it and in fact often causes it to be more entrenched. Education causes people to face and question the fundamentals of their beliefs. Of course some people are too conditioned to their beliefs even when all the evidence demonstrates otherwise.

Bearfax said:
Technical Coach said:
Bearfax said:

Your point is well taken.

The use of the word 'choice' refers to preference not to a conscious decision so I should have been more careful with colloquial English.

Yes laws should treat people equally and hopefully we are as a society getting better at that though we have a long way to go. In my job I saw many 'crimes' that should not be considered such. One is the use of illicit drugs. I'm am not here condoning the use of said substances, merely pointing out that often drug use starts when a person is in their early teens and when the user is not yet aware enough of the dangers associated with such black market substances. The problem again is medical/psychological and the law should recognise the difference. To supply for profit though is a crime.

I already mentioned abortion and euthanasia. Both should be personal decisions. I certainly dont want to linger in infirmity if I know I'm dying. Would prefer to do it with a certain amount of control, and not be charged with a crime if I fail.

But society is struggling with values that are millennia in the making and fundamental to our religions and accepted societal norms. They often are establsihed through quite valid reasons in the past but so many are no longer relevant in our world. And again ignorance needs to be educated not heavily penalised. Penalising an attitude rarely changes it and in fact often causes it to be more entrenched. Education causes people to face and question the fundamentals of their beliefs. Of course some people are too conditioned to their beliefs even when all the evidence demonstrates otherwise.

"Education causes people to face and question the fundamentals of their beliefs."---seems to imply that if your belief systems are Bible based they are of lesser value than a modern day educated belief base. In my case i feel education reinforces my beliefs and i question them less after seeing the results of mankind making their own decisions.( i do see your point if your comment is merely about questioning whether you are just being brainwashed and education can set you free)

Mankind more often than not takes the easiest route in every facet of life that is why the future is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8