Andrew Webster article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lsz said:
Darren said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

How is this different from a racial vilification case?

I must have missed when gay was declared a race :D

The only thing I object to is anyone ramming their views down others throats. I dislike the door knocking missionaries as much as I dislike the gay mardi gras and having that forced upon me. What people want to do with themselves privately is a matter completely for them.

I don't get the different between a civil union and marriage and why there is such a fuss about it. My wife and I had a civil ceremony, defactos have the same legal rights........whatever, just do what you want but please do it quietly.

Some of you need to be careful, you might get H.I.V posting in this thread.

You should have stayed at church this morning.

How is the mardi gras a bad thing. It's not my cup of tea but it injects money in to the Sydney's economy. My understanding it's a celebration of their lifestyle that helps foster tolerance and acceptance sadly reading some of the posts on here it hasn't failed to reach its message to some.

sheridanstand78 said:
I read Andrew Websters article with grreat interest. As a gay man which is whom I am, I believe that gay marriage will eventually come by a consensus of the wider population.

To suggest that I am a product of Satan as described by the drugcastle player well thats saying more about him and his bigotry than it is about any gay or lesbian person.

We do not choose to be this way, its something that is determined long before we know it.

To Darren and Panash, one thing I respect is your right to your opinion. Homophobic opinions are like water off a ducks back to me. You just need to understand that bigotry and ignorance will never get you far.

I grew up knowing who and it took me many years to accept it. I have dealt with the jibes and barbs about it and that is totally over shadowed by the good people in my life.

I have been going to Brooky for 40 years now and enjoy the games with my hetero mates lol. End of the day are we not just footy fans? and dont we just love our Maroon and White heroes?

Mate, I'm not ignorant !!!!

I just made a comment that everyone is entitled to their opinion...and believe it or not there would be millions around the world that would agree with him because of religious beliefs (people are still allowed to believe in a religion aren't they?)

It is obvious that this person should not have posted his comment on twitter.

It seems that these days that the phrase "freedom of speech" is only recognised if it doesn't offend a community or individual.

What you do is your business and I have no issue whatsoever with what you or anyone else chooses to do in life, that was not my point at all.

You mentioned ignorance...what do you call a group of people that take to the streets once a year for a parade and create mayhem in the busiest part of Sydney without thinking twice about what the non-gay community think of it?

I don't mean to offend you or others, but what is the point of that parade every year? To this day I don't know why the gay community need the special event. There are places available every weekend to party.

Or how about a group of people take it upon themselves to create a sporting event (gay olympics) when the whole of society are able to participate in the Olympic Games which have been around since 770 B.C and modern Olympics 1894. The Olympics DO NOT discriminate and welcome gay athletes to participate.

It just seems that the gay community expect special treatment. To my knowledge gays are not handicapped and I know many that are very successful in careers & financially (with more money then ill ever see). They go out, party, drink, holiday and most importantly are accepted in society, so what's the issue ??

A coin has two sides. Not once have I suggested any violence towards the gay community. I condemn violence on any individual.

It was just an opinion of an individual !!! once again

"freedom of speech" ...we do not live in a concentration camp !!!

You just dont seem to get it do you? the gay and lesbian mardi gras brings in millions of dollars to the NSW economy creating lots of jobs for the people of this city.

the mardi gras is the final act of a month of celebration, its open to all people not just the gay and lesbian community.

There is nothing wrong with freedom of speech as long as it is not used to vilify a group of people.

For the record, I dont go marching at the parade or particulary enjoy going to see the spectacle. But I respect those who choose to go and support the many many people who have fought hard to overcome discrimination and bigotry.

If you are worried about Oxford St closing for one night, no one is forcing you to go there during that night.

sheridanstand78 said:
You just dont seem to get it do you? the gay and lesbian mardi gras brings in millions of dollars to the NSW economy creating lots of jobs for the people of this city.

the mardi gras is the final act of a month of celebration, its open to all people not just the gay and lesbian community.

There is nothing wrong with freedom of speech as long as it is not used to vilify a group of people.

For the record, I dont go marching at the parade or particulary enjoy going to see the spectacle. But I respect those who choose to go and support the many many people who have fought hard to overcome discrimination and bigotry.

If you are worried about Oxford St closing for one night, no one is forcing you to go there during that night.

so the answer to one of my questions is that it is making millions for the economy ?? Did you know that it was going to be a money making event before the first one ever happened ???

Will Usain Bolt be welcomed to participate in the 100m sprint in the next gay olympics ??? if the answer is NO would you call that a form of discrimination ???

panash said:
sheridanstand78 said:

so the answer to one of my questions is that it is making millions for the economy ?? Did you know that it was going to be a money making event before the first one ever happened ???

Will Usain Bolt be welcomed to participate in the 100m sprint in the next gay olympics ??? if the answer is NO would you call that a form of discrimination ???

If he wears a skirt and blouse he can enter the 100m drag race :D

CAMBO said:
panash said:
sheridanstand78 said:

be careful , those comments can start a riot

The Mardi Gras is now a commercial cash cow, I do agree and the NSW state government and Sydney City Council would be much poorer without it being held. The money generated is invested in charities to assist all people.

If Usain decided he wanted to run, he would be welcomed. You see the Gay and Lesbian games are open to everyone including you Panash. A fact is that over 10 percent of the participants at these games are indeed straight.

panash said:
Bit unfair. I don't think they allow him to compete in the para-olympics either. Maybe the poor guy could lodge a complaint.
I was really miffed when I couldn't enter my cat in the dog show:mad:

I'm not totally taking the p*ss but some peoples comments on here are very entertaining.

panash said:
CAMBO said:
panash said:
sheridanstand78 said:

Nah it won't mate I'm supportive of gay marriage rights and have several friends who happened to be gay. I make the odd cheeky joke but I wouldn't vilify anyone over their sexual preference

Having said that I'm a practising heterosexual I'm hoping that one day with all the practise I'll get it right ;)

sheridanstand78 said:
The Mardi Gras is now a commercial cash cow, I do agree and the NSW state government and Sydney City Council would be much poorer without it being held. The money generated is invested in charities to assist all people.

If Usain decided he wanted to run, he would be welcomed. You see the Gay and Lesbian games are open to everyone including you Panash. A fact is that over 10 percent of the participants at these games are indeed straight.

PERFECT !!!!

My point exactly , why do they need separate games ?? By these actions they are making a statement that they are different or want to be different or require special attention when the Olympic games are available to everyone...

At the end of the day , you have your thoughts and opinion and so do so many people.

"freedom of speech"

PS. The comment made on twitter , is very similar to verses made in the bible ( not as aggressive though ) .... so the next thing we should do is destroy the religion christianity that was formed hundreds of years ago with so many believers , because when verses that are taught get repeated , it doesnt offend individuals.

niccipops said:
panash said:
Bit unfair. I don't think they allow him to compete in the para-olympics either. Maybe the poor guy could lodge a complaint.
I was really miffed when I couldn't enter my cat in the dog show:mad:

I'm not totally taking the p*ss but some peoples comments on here are very entertaining.

so what are you suggesting pops , that the gay people are not normal and need their own event like the handicap people ???

i remember that there have been gay gold medal winners in the olympics that are open for everyone..

CAMBO said:
panash said:
CAMBO said:
panash said:
sheridanstand78 said:

Nah it won't mate I'm supportive of gay marriage rights and have several friends who happened to be gay. I make the odd cheeky joke but I wouldn't vilify anyone over their sexual preference

Having said that I'm a practising heterosexual I'm hoping that one day with all the practise I'll get it right ;)

good luck with that .....;)

The reason there is a Gay and Lesbian games is that these games are free from any sort of vilification and athletes are not threatened because of their sexuality.

If you look to the next games in Russia, the Russian leader Putin and his government are openly vilifying and discriminating against Gay and Lesbian competitors who will be competing at the games. Imposing horrible laws if Gay and Lesbian people dare to be themselves. The IOC has done NOTHING about it!

When young Mathew Mitcham claimed the gold medal in the 2008 Beijing games for the diving, he smashed many barriers doing that.

There is no place in sport or any other place for homophobia and discrimination full stop.

The bible is the bible and each to their own, I know many christians who are fair and I respect their opinions be it for or against. The bible however is not the law that everyone abides by. It is merely an opinion.

CAMBO said:
How is the mardi gras a bad thing. It's not my cup of tea but it injects money in to the Sydney's economy. My understanding it's a celebration of their lifestyle that helps foster tolerance and acceptance sadly reading some of the posts on here it hasn't failed to reach its message to some.

If the Mardi Gras is classified and started out as a business event then by all means justify it's presence by the supporting argument that it injects money into Sydney's economy.

But to justify the event based on how much money it makes or injects considering it's foundations were not a business venture undermines the point of having it somewhat.

Basically what you are saying is as long as the event makes money the event can continue and it's "supposed" message of acceptance is secondary.

Peoples sexuality be it gay or straight should not be celebrated on a public road and the Gay Olympics serve no purpose when the Olympics themselves has equal acceptance to all.

sheridanstand78 said:
The reason there is a Gay and Lesbian games is that these games are free from any sort of vilification and athletes are not threatened because of their sexuality.

If you look to the next games in Russia, the Russian leader Putin and his government are openly vilifying and discriminating against Gay and Lesbian competitors who will be competing at the games. Imposing horrible laws if Gay and Lesbian people dare to be themselves. The IOC has done NOTHING about it!

When young Mathew Mitcham claimed the gold medal in the 2008 Beijing games for the diving, he smashed many barriers doing that.

There is no place in sport or any other place for homophobia and discrimination full stop.

The bible is the bible and each to their own, I know many christians who are fair and I respect their opinions be it for or against. The bible however is not the law that everyone abides by. It is merely an opinion.

Thats not nice or right , im surprised its allowed.

The bible or religion is not law , but their are followers who believe and follow the teachings , so if a comment is made its just words no violent intent towards the gay community so why the up roar if there is any truth to it we will know when we die no need to worry about it now.

panash said:
so what are you suggesting pops , that the gay people are not normal and need their own event like the handicap people ???

i remember that there have been gay gold medal winners in the olympics that are open for everyone..
Nah, nothing like that. Just having a laugh. Not having a shot at you either Panash. You nailed it actually. Gay people are perfectly normal so it wasn't really a good comparison by me. But if any group of people want to have their own Olympics, why not? Can't wait for the Rangalympics. Watch for my daughter.

Technical Coach said:
CAMBO said:

If the Mardi Gras is classified and started out as a business event then by all means justify it's presence by the supporting argument that it injects money into Sydney's economy.

But to justify the event based on how much money it makes or injects considering it's foundations were not a business venture undermines the point of having it somewhat.

Basically what you are saying is as long as the event makes money the event can continue and it's "supposed" message of acceptance is secondary.

Peoples sexuality be it gay or straight should not be celebrated on a public road and the Gay Olympics serve no purpose when the Olympics themselves has equal acceptance to all.

thank you !!!! someone that agrees a simple fact

Many athletes of all sexualities are threatening to boycott these games because of the Russian governments stance. So sad that its come to this. Is this what we want to show future generations that you cant be allowed to be yourself regardless of your sexuality , colour, religion or race?

The Russian goverments attitude is mirroring the discrimination and bigotry that a certain German leader employed at the 1936 games against a religion.

This has to be resisted and most decent people will despise what the Russians are doing.

sheridanstand78 said:

Can you elaborate on this " Imposing horrible laws if Gay and Lesbian people dare to be themselves" such as....

My limited understanding of the law in Russia is that it is basically about non traditional sexual propaganda towards minors but i honestly have not looked into it that much so i might be wrong.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/10/28/russia-abuses-tarnish-100-day-countdown-winter-olympics

This will give you an understanding of what I have been talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7