An Inspiring Leader

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Following big Donnies election yesterday I was thinking about how badly Manly needs an inspirational leader such as we had with Ben Kennedy, who took a team of young hopefuls and a couple of good first graders from also rans to Premiership contenders in just a few years.

Now we all know BK was a once in a generation leader, but also let's not forget he came from Canberra then Newcastle before arriving at Manly.

SO, it's not absolutely necessary to be a Manly water boy to inspire a team!!!!

Given that we are obviously building to go to market in a massive way at the end of ( or during) 2017 for the 2018 season I'd like you to name one player we should be targeting and why.

Don't worry about if they are on contract or not ( doesn't seem to matter these days anyway).

Nate Myles should have been that player, but let's face it......he's shiiit, and possibly the worst signing we have ever made.

Other players like BK would be guys like Matt Scott, Paul Gallen & others, but why would they come to Manly?

Nate Myles should have been that player, but let's face it......he's shiiit, and possibly the worst signing we have ever made.

Other players like BK would be guys like Matt Scott, Paul Gallen & others, but why would they come to Manly?

But why did BK come to Manly, arguably we were worse then than now ( or maybe the same).

I agree , Myles isn't the answer but at some point Scott & Gallen would be moved on, so who knows maybe one inspirational year might do it?

But why did BK come to Manly, arguably we were worse then than now ( or maybe the same).

I agree , Myles isn't the answer but at some point Scott & Gallen would be moved on, so who knows maybe one inspirational year might do it?

The only way was up then. In my opinion, based on the roster we have now, we could be in for a world of hurt in the next few years.

That's why you'll see comments like that of Maloney when weighing up our roster.

I would stop supporting Manly if Gallen was ever associated with us!!! I'm sorry but I cannot stand him or Ennis. I was always hopeful Brett Stewart was going to be that person!

Cam Smith is just the best - composure, instil confidence. We won't ever sign him.

James Graham

He won't be the captain next year at the dogs (wow). As a forward he is a talker a must for a leader. He is one nasty piece of work. So perfect in the front row. Leads by example.

He isn't Cam Smith composed - it's his only downfall. He has made a few mistakes with how he has dealt with the refs at the dogs. But he has experience and made mistakes to learn from.

But a natural leader non the less.

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
Don't need one. Jake is the leader we have been hoping for. He is still young and might not have the experience of BK. But 2016 has been/is a huge year for him and i expect him of have a lot more Rep honours in 2017 which will add to his confidence playing and training with the games top players.

He plays with passion, pride and purpose and disappointment is written all over his face after a loss. He will lift the side when the pressure is on going forward.

I know BK is a special case and did a lot for us but i am keen as to see Jake T leading the forwards in 2017. Big burden for a young bloke but after a big 2016, 2017 will be huge for him and our forward pack

One day yes Jake may be a fine leader, but he is not ready right now. It's another fascade. It's like Bozo hiding behind Baz. We have Myles hiding behind Jake. Mark raises an interesting question because we were leaderless in 2016. We had a reserve grade prop in Vave beating his chest, trying to inspire players, he was the most talkative bloke on the field. When you have a top dog, a Vave dosent rule the roost.

yeah, I'd imagine when the likes of BK and Lyon give you a look, you know to pull your socks up. It may take time for Jake to get some more experience and with age have that same impact on the entire squad

BK was actually a Manly boy way before he played for Raiders and Knights. He grew up playing rugby union for Manly, if I recall. He also had some very fine 'raw material' to work with here - Watmough, G Stewart, Jason King, Brent Kite...he inspired them all, and they all became leaders in their own right. Yes, Nate Myles was supposed to be that player, and yes, he has been a bit disappointing (I am not one of those that consider him a complete waste of space - he controls the ruck, and there is more to the game than charging blindly up the middle every hit up). Jake T is the man for the job in about three years' time, when he has more run on the board... Geez, it is a tough one, Mark! We certainly have a leadership void on our hands here, don;t we!

Yes my real point is WHO is going to be that inspirational leader, I was thinking of 2018 and beyond but yes even for 2017.

At present no one jumps out!!

I think what we need to discuss is the real leadership we need in 2017 is not from the players but from upper management who are slowly dragging this once proud club into some very dark times.

We need clear direction as to where they see the future of this club and a more proactive approach to member engagement which I think our club at the moment would have to be the worst at.

Last edited:
Only one nominated so far is Cam Smith, be fabulous to get him for a swansong but doubt he'd ever leave the Drizzle.

I agree they probably bought Myles hoping for that but in reality he was never a true leader.

One I think they could have persued would have been Luke Lewis, multi Premiership winner, strong forward leader.

So who are some others like him that might be persuaded in 2018??

Matt Scott maybe?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8