Zorba - one of our Top 3?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Running a football club is definitely not a popularity contest. Parra have been run that way for years and look at their results. Tough decisions, and big changes, inevitably bring strong opposition and loud criticisms. Ultimately, the proof of the pudding is ...

If the results flow from this cleanout, then the current deafening opposition will fade away. Not disappear, but become less loud.

For me, the positive recruitment decisions have coincided with Bozo's (and Arko's) re-entry into the fray - starting with DCE's backflip. Until then we seemed to be going backwards at 100 miles per hour. If Peters had a hand in this decision to get them involved, then marks to him. It doesn't undo the farcical and classless way Toovey, and innumerable others, were publicly shafted without any positive recognition of their significant service. And it doesn't make this concerted PR effort to paint Zorba in a different light look any less desperate or pathetic. But it may be the single act which saves this club.

Running a football club is definitely not a popularity contest. Parra have been run that way for years and look at their results. Tough decisions, and big changes, inevitably bring strong opposition and loud criticisms. Ultimately, the proof of the pudding is ...

If the results flow from this cleanout, then the current deafening opposition will fade away. Not disappear, but become less loud.

For me, the positive recruitment decisions have coincided with Bozo's (and Arko's) re-entry into the fray - starting with DCE's backflip. Until then we seemed to be going backwards at 100 miles per hour. If Peters had a hand in this decision to get them involved, then marks to him. It doesn't undo the farcical and classless way Toovey, and innumerable others, were publicly shafted without any positive recognition of their significant service. And it doesn't make this concerted PR effort to paint Zorba in a different light look any less desperate or pathetic. But it may be the single act which saves this club.

@Rex I probably agree with the first part of your last post , as to ZtH being the catalyst for the other two being involved, no chance.

Player wise we needed a clean out, and for whatever reason ( cap I guess) we were stuck with a bunch of " also rans", so the changes there are good.

The way it was all done isn't , some very good people were just shafted, no reasons just told to not turn up the next day.

And now we have this propaganda war going on.

Some may think results in 2016 will see us forget all this, somehow I doubt it!!

You do know De$ was somewhat behind his original sacking ?? ( so I was told by Dave Perry)
Des was probably trying to get rid of ZtH for years and the door opened so Des threw him out of it and hid behind Perry. I wonder if we ever win a comp again will Zorba and his cronies be looking for premiership rings and photos of themselves with the team. I recall a propoganda piece that started the boardroom drama stories in 2011 that said the players hated the administrators for doing that. It started in the press right after "Good Sort Gate" and the media rot set in after that.

@Rex I probably agree with the first part of your last post , as to ZtH being the catalyst for the other two being involved, no chance.

Player wise we needed a clean out, and for whatever reason ( cap I guess) we were stuck with a bunch of " also rans", so the changes there are good.

The way it was all done isn't , some very good people were just shafted, no reasons just told to not turn up the next day.

And now we have this propaganda war going on.

Some may think results in 2016 will see us forget all this, somehow I doubt it!!
Yes and people tend to forget that a big reason why we have been able to recruit some big name forwards is because Fozzy Bear leaving has given us around a $1m of cap space to work with.

Why so certain that there's no possible chance that Zorba was party to bringing in Bozo (and Arko)?

Arko is Arko, has never really left the club, and Bozo & Penn are besties, remember Penn even had him involved in the proposed takeover of the Football Club Board ( the rival ticket 12 months ago).

ZtH would have no doubt been in discussions with the two of them but it certainly would not have been him that pulled that team together.

Further to that Fulton wasn't involved with the club at all during the joint ownership period but as soon as Penn got his hands on the till then in comes Bozo.

Don't worry Fulton & the Penns are as tight as !!

Arko is Arko, has never really left the club, and Bozo & Penn are besties, remember Penn even had him involved in the proposed takeover of the Football Club Board ( the rival ticket 12 months ago).

ZtH would have no doubt been in discussions with the two of them but it certainly would not have been him that pulled that team together.
My question was : "Why so certain that there's no possible chance that Zorba was party to bringing in Bozo (and Arko)?"

Penn stated that he bought into Manly because of Zorba.

So if Penn bought into Manly because of Zorba's advice, why would it be impossible for Penn to have appointed Bozo because of (or at least partly because of) Zorba's advice?

My question was : "Why so certain that there's no possible chance that Zorba was party to bringing in Bozo (and Arko)?"

Penn stated that he bought into Manly because of Zorba.

So if Penn bought into Manly because of Zorba's advice, why would it be impossible for Penn to have appointed Bozo because of (or at least partly because of) Zorba's advice?

Rex, the Penns haven't made gazillions getting advice from a 70 year old former forward that thinks he's gods gift to the media world!!

Look I don't doubt ZtH has passion for the club, but if you rate him up there with Arko then more fool you!!

Rex, the Penns haven't made gazillions getting advice from a 70 year old former forward that thinks he's gods gift to the media world!!

Look I don't doubt ZtH has passion for the club, but if you rate him up there with Arko then more fool you!!
Mark, you seem to have made a huge jump in logic there. I can't see how anything I've said suggests, in any way, shape or form, that I rate Zorba up there with Arko. Can you? If so, what is it that I've said that you interpret in that way?

Do I think it is possible that Zorba may have influenced Penn to get Bozo in? Yes, I think that is entirely possible. Why? Firstly, because Penn rates Zorba very highly according to everything Penn has said and according to everything that Penn has done. Secondly, because Zorba and Bozo go back as mates over more than four decades, and Zorba clearly thinks very highly of Bozo.

I don't hold to the view that everything a person does is either unambiguously positive or unambiguously negative. IMO we're far more complex than that.

If our argument is about wether ZtH may have whispered in Bozo or Arko's ears before they came on board who really knows, you may be right he may be the sole reason they are on board, I have a different opinion.

The DT story blowing smoke up his backside is more about "payback" for the leaks and making him "look good" to the poor people who don't know any better.

There's no doubt that in some peoples eyes, even some on here, that he's like the messiah, I'm not in any way suggesting you are one of those but there are a few.

I've had a bit to do with him over the years and in the early days I had a good deal of respect for him, but after what's transpired in the last 3-5 years I happen to think he's the greatest blight we have in our club, and not that its going to happen but we'd be a whole lot better off if we went and lived in Santorini.

Only the Matty Ballin release stands out in my mind as being communicated by the club with due respect to the person involved. I'm hoping, given that this was the last release, that this suggests a change in processes - specifically to make them more respectful to people affected. Maybe I'm deluded in hoping for this, but I'll hold onto that hope for now.

When, say, Barrett talks about players moved on, he makes clear he has gone in a different direction, but he also talks respectfully about the players no longer in the squad. This is the standard I'd expect the club to meet. To have Toovey (in particular) moved on without a single positive word, much less thanks, from the club is extremely poor PR IMO. And not just poor PR, but a destructive influence on the club's unity. If Zorba (because of his ego?) can't do this in his media role, then someone else should step in and make up for this glaring shortcoming.

Only the Matty Ballin release stands out in my mind as being communicated by the club with due respect to the person involved. I'm hoping, given that this was the last release, that this suggests a change in processes - specifically to make them more respectful to people affected. Maybe I'm deluded in hoping for this, but I'll hold onto that hope for now.

When, say, Barrett talks about players moved on, he makes clear he has gone in a different direction, but he also talks respectfully about the players no longer in the squad. This is the standard I'd expect the club to meet. To have Toovey (in particular) moved on without a single positive word, much less thanks, from the club is extremely poor PR IMO. And not just poor PR, but a destructive influence on the club's unity. If Zorba (because of his ego?) can't do this in his media role, then someone else should step in and make up for this glaring shortcoming.

Why does a 70 year old, former board member, well past (and I mean WELL past) his prime even need a role in "media and sales"???

He's got his way, everyone he wanted sacked have been punted, his family now control the purse strings, why does he even need a role!

The Ballin departure was well handled BUT, they'd be looking at Facebook / Twitter and would know the feelings of the fans, besides I know Scott comes on here for a look on a fairly regular basis (Hi Scott) so I am unsurprised at Matty's fond farewell.

Its the little legend 2V we are all angry about and that sham of a press conference.

Thank goodness the Football Club are doing a proper farewell for Geoff, just sorry I can't make it down.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6