Xavier Coates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pittwater Legend

We brought back Geoff Toovey!
It would be great to have a guy like Xavier in our side. He would transform our side into a more dangerous attacking team. 5 games played so far this year and apparently we are yet to score a try off a kick.

Coates is a huge unit who is impossible to outleap. I felt sorry for Funa for having to mark him on his debut.

If you discount the two tries that Brisbane scored off the back of Coates' jumps last night, it's hard to see how Brisbane would have even come close to beating us despite them putting in a very brave effort

Last edited:
Could be that our kicks aren't that great either. Garrick and Tommy go alright in the air if we get the ball into the contest

Tommy is flawless in the air but most kicks in the air for tries go out to the wings where Tom is less likely to be involved. I also like Garrick in the air and love him all-round but against a genetic freak like Coates, he would also struggle

Could be that our kicks aren't that great either. Garrick and Tommy go alright in the air if we get the ball into the contest
Yeah, all forms of kick chase improve if the chasers know whats happening
Our high kicks are mid field and difficult to contest
When we are close enough i think we run on last too often as a result of such poor options
The no look/ push to the boot grubber is dangerous , but you have to be able to execute it . Time to put that **** away and concentrate on getting it right instead of getting it suave and swanky

Coates looked better because he actually contested the ball. If Parker had contested the ball instead of just trying to block we may have had a better result in that corner

Coates looked better because he actually contested the ball. If Parker had contested the ball instead of just trying to block we may have had a better result in that corner
I don’t know mate. I did sone homework on Coates before the match he’s basically like folau in how high he can get up. He will be a gun that kid and won’t lose his spot. Can’t be too tough on funa as Coates would have done the same to Jorge (possibly even more so) imo. Still early days for mine. Already hating the injuries tho. I’d like to see this schuster at sone point tho.

He's a gun, hope we get him. Sadly every team is thinking that so there's very little chance.

I don’t know mate. I did sone homework on Coates before the match he’s basically like folau in how high he can get up. He will be a gun that kid and won’t lose his spot. Can’t be too tough on funa as Coates would have done the same to Jorge (possibly even more so) imo. Still early days for mine. Already hating the injuries tho. I’d like to see this schuster at sone point tho.

Agree with all of this. Tom is the only guy in our side who could consistently stop Xavier in the air but as fullback he would almost never be in a position to defend that part of the field on a high kick.

After seeing poor Wolfman get bullied by a taller man in the 2013 grand final, I hate seeing us get done like that. In hindsight he should have tried holding up, legally obstructing or smashing Tupou instead of trying to outleap him for the ball

It would be great to have a guy like Xavier in our side. He would transform our side into a more dangerous attacking team. 5 games played so far this year and apparently we are yet to score a try off a kick.

Coates is a huge unit who is impossible to outleap. I felt sorry for Funa for having to mark him on his debut.

If you discount the two tries that Brisbane scored off the back of Coates' jumps last night, it's hard to see how Brisbane would have even come close to beating us despite them putting in a very brave effort
I mentioned last week we need a weapon under the high ball out wide

Yep, Parker had a great game but was pitiful in trying to be a blocker for Funa. He pretty much planted himself in front and thought that would be enough....and it wasn't.
How hard is it to halfheartedly jump as if you are going for the ball but not really?
He obviously had more faith in Funa than anyone else.

We need to do the cross field kick for tommy to knock it back like jamie lyon used to do. The foran banana kick back in the inside wouldn't go astray either
There is so many 5th tackle options which makes it even more strange that we seem to struggle in this area. If nothing else, kick accross to Garrick or Tom or grubber at the posts. Why we seem to pass to forwards on the last is beyond me

That 1st half was so poor, the Brisbane side rolled up field playing the ball at the speed of a touch footy game and to make it worse, there was zero pressure on Milford and Croft who had so long to land a perfect kick, looked like Andrew Johns kicking game....and agree 100% - Coates was their danger man with Haas and Staggs the only blokes looking likely to do anything...though there was a spell when even Boyd started looking dangerous, which was hard to watch...almost sickening.
There was far less time for the Brisbane kickers 2nd half and nowhere near the quality of field position due to the rise in tempo and energy from the Manly defence....otherwise would have been a repeat of that 1st half again and an ugly scoreline.

It is a weakness in our attack that we dont score enough tries from kicks when we have weapons who can take advantage of well placed bombs and grubbers and already this season we have conceded 6 tries from kicks and that is something we need to tidy up moving forward.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2