WTF just happened

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Very weird game and I still can't grasp whether we were poor or they were good or they were both poor. Thanks for the 2 points inspite of the lopsided refereeing just glad Manly got out of their intact. We look like we are waiting for the big games and are just doing enough at the moment to win and thats all.

It wasn't that bad guys, we did well considering the panthers had two extra men out there in the refs.

It was my first time out at CUA stadium and had a good time there having good laugh at some of the manly fans giving it to the supporters in the black hole supporters area.

We do what we need to do to secure the two points. We play the game as it unfolds before us. We played a team who decided to step up and be a lot more desperate in defence that ever before. We had a mountain of possession against us and we were not on the right side of the whistle.

But the boys played it as they saw it and never dropped their heads; never lost their commitment to defence; and they never lost in any heart despite momentum rarely going their way. To my liking, they are playing very mature and disciplined football; they have the game won in their minds from the outset. I'm liking what I see.

We would like glamour and more tries. We would like our team to be comfortably in front with no controversial decisions going against us... we and the team would love all of this. But it doesn't pan out this way. Yet to the players credit, they fight and fight and fight... and never give up. Yes, I'm liking what I'm seeing ;^)

There is no rule that says the penalty count has to be even at the end of the game. Last year i thought discipline was a massive problem, this year not so much.... but there are still things we are doing that is not going to win us any fans. Up ending tackles shouldnt be our game.
i would prefer the eagles to be hated for the right reasons, the fact that we are a better team, from the best part of the world,and have a successful history through the decades.

simon_eagle said:
CLIT COMMANDER said:
Gift, Matai had good games, how Foran got nines man of the match I wouldn't know.

I worry that DCE and Foran do have bad nights in the playmaking area. If that happens in the big games we will be in trouble.

Despite the penalty count, we had plenty of opportunity to put them away today and couldn't.

Penrith were ordinary too

It was just a very drab game of football. DCE did have a poor game (which is rare for him to be fair), but it was just a slow game today, with too many mistakes from both sides. The conditions did not help (we've had plenty of rain down Sydney way this week).
Defensively though we were outstanding and you do get these type games from time to time. I do agree though, we do have to step it up a gear or two if we are seriously going to compete with the likes of Melbourne and St George.

I thought it was a cracking game, lots of ball movement and we win! Yeah we weren't magnificent in attack but our defence was outstanding as usual and I thought it was Bretts best game this year. My old man even said Gift was our best player and I find it hard to disagree. I'll take a game like that every week.

Penrith at Penrith are a tough act so the 2 points will do me, that sort of defensive effort can only help later on in the year.

If the referees could just show some consistancy I could live with a few dodgy calls but that was terrible.

One of the best moments was Rabbits saying how Burns had the best goal kicking stats in the comp just prior to one of the worst conversion attempts of all time.

Put it this way. Last year we were whinging about the same bull**** refereeing decisions while watching us fall apart late in most games. This year we still see the bull**** ref calls but watch us rise above it and win games. This side has heaps of ticker this year more than i've seen in a long,long time including 2007/08. I dare say I haven't seen this determination in defence since 1996 or even 1978.

The Who said:
To those who thought DCE was off his game today bear in mind he made 29 tackles, scored a ' try' and kicked very cleverly.

Stats don't tell the story for him today. Was very solid in defense but was pretty woeful with the ball in his hands. Not sure how well you could see on TV but in the second half in particular there were quite a few plays where it really looked like something was on only for DCE to dump it off short to one of the props. Frustrating game from him but I have faith that he'll rebound & learn from it.

Very average game to watch IMO, both teams were playing quite well but the refs really stifled the contest - surely at least one of those numpties must be dropped, it was one of the most inept performances I have ever seen from two NRL refs.

We did enough to win which is all we wanted, got the two points & all is good. Didn't expect from this game & didn't come home surprised.

Just quietly, I got the impression that Mr.Burns thinks he still plays for Manly.

@CaptainSkin - Nice to meet you & have a face to put to the username, mate. Love the banner.

Pretty average game to be honest almost fell asleep. Intensity is lacking big time, go forward was poor, defence did all that was required and our attack is frustrating to watch.

I'm hoping it's a case of Dessie pushing hard at training(Usually happens around 6 weeks from the end of season for top 2-3 clubs) for a few weeks so that the tapering off period kicks in just before semi's to freshen us up.

Once again Matai offered the spark and intensity with hard straight line running at critical times to get us out of trouble---D.Williams also offers this penetration which we missed.

Noticing Foran inject himself occasionally in a more central area not often but it's good to see---i also liked how he replied to the question on the footy show about a roving roll and he seemed to hint it might be on offer in the future---or it could be that he is hinting to Des he wants more freedom.

I was worried about DCE having a bad game with the increased exposure he had on the last footy show---first year players should not do prime time media but i guess channel 9 wants young players to attract the female audience and Ballin was on last week.

We get our attack right and go forward we win this premiership fullstop. I dont really care about our defence as i'm confident in the teams ability to raise the level when required but not so in our attack.

With a second string squad last year in the Qtrs against the Dragons we never looked like scoring----with an almost full squad against the Dragons this year we never looked like scoring----our 20m to 20m matched the Dragons but red zone attack was too predictable.

Look i know we all love G.Stewart and he has great ball skills but it annoys the hell out of me the way he is cramping our outside backs.

The penalty count for most instances was deserved---when we lack go forward we start to give away silly penalties. The slowing down of the ruck is creeping back in again overly so and our go forward lacks straight penetration---Kite and his shuffle with too much ball playing is not helping our cause.

You're a very hard marker TC.
Gift was terrific today and always looked dangerous with the ball. His defence was solid. So to Foran. His kick-chase was outstanding. Matai ran hard and straight, and was our most effective in attack. Kite and King were both good. In fact, I thought it was Kite's best match this season. Our unsung hero is Balin. He's not that far behind Cameron Smith, and always plays well. Buhrer, Jo and Mauro were very solid and Lyon did some impressive things.

Agree with almost most of that The Who, except that Ballin is not that far behind Cameron Smith. As much as I despise the turp and rate what Ballin does for us, Smith is far and away the best no 9 in the comp and by a fair margin. All the Storm props owe him 50% of their paycheques (actually think that was part of their salary cap scandal), because without Smith they would get slaughtered every week.

Kite has played better than today, thats not to downplay his performance but just think he's had better games.

at least the local genius restricted his analysis to less than 10 000 words this time.I can't believe a team that has lost 4 games all year has soooo many problems.

Masked Eagle said:
Agree with almost most of that The Who, except that Ballin is not that far behind Cameron Smith. As much as I despise the turp and rate what Ballin does for us, Smith is far and away the best no 9 in the comp and by a fair margin. All the Storm props owe him 50% of their paycheques (actually think that was part of their salary cap scandal), because without Smith they would get slaughtered every week.

Yeah. What I should have said is that Ballin is the second best hooker in the game, at least the equal to Ennis and Farrah. I'm not sure we appreciate his workload because he does it so professionally,

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah DCE didn't have one of his better games, but lets take a step back, his a kid in his first NRL season playing in a key position and his halves partner is also young. I reckon we're in pretty good shap.

Remember the article not long ago about who had made the most errors in the game this year- Benji Marshall and Thurston were leading the way. That's right, arguably the best playmakers in the game.Errors go hand in hand in that postition, if you expect a playmaker to be 100% every week your kidding yourself.

The only issue I have with DCE's game - He's an f'ing queenslander.

susan said:
at least the local genius restricted his analysis to less than 10 000 words this time.I can't believe a team that has lost 4 games all year has soooo many problems.

I've mainly directed my critical observations on where we should improve towards our attack and go forward this year so your "sooooo many problems" comment lacks any substance.

I'm happy most of the time with our defensive structures--- still not overly happy with size characteristics in our forwards more so last year than this year(i commented not in hindsight that our power to weight ratios and body make up was not balanced last year) and the training has changed to address this "all due to the local genius" lol.

Manly are a shoe in to win the GF this year if our attack has more options and less reliance on edge plays---i only fear the Dragons and an in form Broncos. The Storm have the class in the big 3 but i dont fear their pack one bit---even with the slowing down of the ruck there were big yardage gains and gaps popping up that Manly will take advantage of.

Funny how i keep spitting out the 100,000 word essays and you seem to get around to reading them even if its purely to address your lack of entertainment options.

Please let us all know when your next post has another "name drop" so that i can pvt message you "purely for networking reasons to help further my coaching career aspirations".

Pearso said:
Don't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah DCE didn't have one of his better games, but lets take a step back, his a kid in his first NRL season playing in a key position and his halves partner is also young. I reckon we're in pretty good shap.

Remember the article not long ago about who had made the most errors in the game this year- Benji Marshall and Thurston were leading the way. That's right, arguably the best playmakers in the game.Errors go hand in hand in that postition, if you expect a playmaker to be 100% every week your kidding yourself.

The only issue I have with DCE's game - He's an f'ing queenslander.

My reference to his media exposure was not in relation to the game form more just a general comment to first year NRL players. It did come across that he was getting a big head during the game and allowed "Mr all i can do is step back inside and step back inside again" to get under his skin.

He does lack a little speed though but love his all round skills. A bad game from DCE is still 2x's better than an average game from Hodkinson.

Technical Coach said:
I'm happy most of the time with our defensive structures--- still not overly happy with size characteristics in our forwards more so last year than this year(i commented not in hindsight that our power to weight ratios and body make up was not balanced last year) and the training has changed to address this "all due to the local genius" lol.

Taking credit ?

Jatz Crackers said:
Technical Coach said:

Taking credit ?
Yeah i am when i'm pumped full of meds hehehehe---as if i was serious.

Technical Coach said:
The penalty count for most instances was deserved... ...give away silly penalties. The slowing down of the ruck is creeping back in again overly so

I agree with TC that the laying on the tackled played for too long is an easy penalty given against us... and it happens far too often and the culprits re-offend each week.. i.e. Glen Gift, Ferris Buhrer, Matty Ballin & Choc are the main offenders but the other forwards are pinged as well.

What I do like, is their discipline after they have been penalised. They just run back, probably seething under their breath, turn around and await more defensive work. There's no 'magic word' being spat at the camera audience nor is there any back-chat to the ref... well, not anymore, anyway!

Technical Coach said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Technical Coach said:

Taking credit ?
Yeah i am when i'm pumped full of meds hehehehe---as if i was serious.

Watch those mood swings. Hope your not 27 years of age.

i dont have to read them to see the rubbish unfold down the page.

once again my friend ,heed the great axiom espoused by the greatest coach of all "simplicity is often genius while complication is the first resort of fools"-you my friend are a fool by definition.

I also notice from reading one of your shorter rants you now also support the melbourne wrestle and of course Manly cheats the cap utilizing our creative accountants.

the scum awaits you my friend.embrace them and leave some space on the forum for the rest of us.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4