Wrote to NRL's boss

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I know it wont mean anything, but hey, whatever.

Dear Mr Smith,

I write to you to attempt to provide some insight from a fans perspective about the Long Serving Player Allowance ($200K) for eligible “players” who have played eight continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup, or in perspective, ($8K) per player (Gross of Tax) if every player on a team is in that position, albeit extremely unlikely. I’d like to highlight to you, under those rules, the benefit of such, with a team like my Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (as it presently stands):-

Current qualifying Players:

Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Matt Ballin, Jason King, Anthony Watmough & Glenn Stewart (Closely followed by Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans due to their tenure in previous junior grades, but not included in this exercise).

That equates to six players at present ($33K each on average), or NET of tax, assuming each player highlighted is on over ($180K), and the maximum taxation rate applicable is $54,547 plus 45 cents for each $1 over $180k = net income per player ($18.150k).

Given both internal & external risks to the game, including both cannibalisation of a team through code swapping, player transfers & players retiring, do you honestly believe that $18,150 NET per annum for each marquee, long serving, long standing Manly player would be enough for them to stave off potential suitors & improve their situation by going elsewhere?

According to your own www.nrl.com.au website, and in particular, your “Beyond the Tryline” article NRL Education and Welfare Manager , Paul Heptonstall was quoted as saying, “With current statistics showing that an average Rugby League player’s career spans over 43 games over three to four years only, it is becoming increasingly important that a player has a clear plan and access to develop a pathway after his football career has reached its full potential”.

Given this statement, how many players are affected by the Long Serving Player Allowance? There were 266 player movements spread across all NRL teams to begin the 2014 NRL season. Of those, approximately two percent would have received the benefit of the Long Serving Player Allowance. Therefore, the benefit of enhancing, and improving said rule would be exponential compared to that of the increased risks associated with allowing clubs the ability to spend more money. The risks are mitigated, and further supports the NRL’s advertised “vision, and game plan” through to 2017.

How is it, an extremely well developed & established player like Glenn Stewart is forced to leave a demographic, community & working environment after a decade of dedicated service, because the NRL allows him ($18k) in dispensation to the salary cap to remain with the club? Is this a “clear plan, and ability to develop a definitive pathway” as Paul Heptonstall was quoted as suggesting?

A large proportion of the NRL’s vision in being the “best game of all”, was four key elements: “Rugby League Family”, “Reach and Profile”, “community”, & “Pathways”. The Long Serving Player Allowance “per team” is not embracing these ethos. The NRL needs fans “plugged in”, to have an “affinity” with their team and players to remain loyal & to continue providing capital through passion. Proportionate to the average mean, The Long Serving Player Allowance Mr Smith needs to be per player, not per team.

In 2014, there have been 512,060 fans attend all games. This same time last season, 585,864 attended (73,804 more). This equates to 2306 less fans PER game played to date at each game (32 games over 4 weeks). If you consider 266 player movements occurred this off season, clearly engagement is down. In just 2013, your mission statement claimed it wanted to be the most entertaining, most engaging and most respected sport of all.

Maybe it’s just me, as a passionate Manly fan, but I am engaged by watching the men who have toiled away for a decade with my team being successful. By players like Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart and Glenn Stewart accepting less to remain with the club they love. By wonderful ambassadors of the game like Steve Menzies. Our community. What does NOT engage me, is players like Andrew Fifita and Brett Morris swapping clubs, when the NRL through the Long Serving Player Allowance has it in their power to reward loyalty, dedication, hard work and commitment.
The rule needs to change Mr Smith, otherwise we’ll end up with average crowds of 14,764 per game as per this round four, versus 22,388 last season for round four.

Ryan Winter

Well said and totally accurate Ryan , but Good Luck getting anything done that helps Manly, or is perceived to help Manly...particularly by this puppet Smith.

Greenburg is running the show and the Bulldogs don't keep players anywhere near long enough to benefit from dispensation loyalty clauses.

Manly are in a league of our own for loyalty.

Ryan said:
I know it wont mean anything, but hey, whatever.

Dear Mr Smith,

I write to you to attempt to provide some insight from a fans perspective about the Long Serving Player Allowance ($200K) for eligible “players” who have played eight continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup, or in perspective, ($8K) per player (Gross of Tax) if every player on a team is in that position, albeit extremely unlikely. I’d like to highlight to you, under those rules, the benefit of such, with a team like my Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (as it presently stands):-

Current qualifying Players:

Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Matt Ballin, Jason King, Anthony Watmough & Glenn Stewart (Closely followed by Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans due to their tenure in previous junior grades, but not included in this exercise).

That equates to six players at present ($33K each on average), or NET of tax, assuming each player highlighted is on over ($180K), and the maximum taxation rate applicable is $54,547 plus 45 cents for each $1 over $180k = net income per player ($18.150k).

Given both internal & external risks to the game, including both cannibalisation of a team through code swapping, player transfers & players retiring, do you honestly believe that $18,150 NET per annum for each marquee, long serving, long standing Manly player would be enough for them to stave off potential suitors & improve their situation by going elsewhere?

According to your own www.nrl.com.au website, and in particular, your “Beyond the Tryline” article NRL Education and Welfare Manager , Paul Heptonstall was quoted as saying, “With current statistics showing that an average Rugby League player’s career spans over 43 games over three to four years only, it is becoming increasingly important that a player has a clear plan and access to develop a pathway after his football career has reached its full potential”.

Given this statement, how many players are affected by the Long Serving Player Allowance? There were 266 player movements spread across all NRL teams to begin the 2014 NRL season. Of those, approximately two percent would have received the benefit of the Long Serving Player Allowance. Therefore, the benefit of enhancing, and improving said rule would be exponential compared to that of the increased risks associated with allowing clubs the ability to spend more money. The risks are mitigated, and further supports the NRL’s advertised “vision, and game plan” through to 2017.

How is it, an extremely well developed & established player like Glenn Stewart is forced to leave a demographic, community & working environment after a decade of dedicated service, because the NRL allows him ($18k) in dispensation to the salary cap to remain with the club? Is this a “clear plan, and ability to develop a definitive pathway” as Paul Heptonstall was quoted as suggesting?

A large proportion of the NRL’s vision in being the “best game of all”, was four key elements: “Rugby League Family”, “Reach and Profile”, “community”, & “Pathways”. The Long Serving Player Allowance “per team” is not embracing these ethos. The NRL needs fans “plugged in”, to have an “affinity” with their team and players to remain loyal & to continue providing capital through passion. Proportionate to the average mean, The Long Serving Player Allowance Mr Smith needs to be per player, not per team.

In 2014, there have been 512,060 fans attend all games. This same time last season, 585,864 attended (73,804 more). This equates to 2306 less fans PER game played to date at each game (32 games over 4 weeks). If you consider 266 player movements occurred this off season, clearly engagement is down. In just 2013, your mission statement claimed it wanted to be the most entertaining, most engaging and most respected sport of all.

Maybe it’s just me, as a passionate Manly fan, but I am engaged by watching the men who have toiled away for a decade with my team being successful. By players like Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart and Glenn Stewart accepting less to remain with the club they love. By wonderful ambassadors of the game like Steve Menzies. Our community. What does NOT engage me, is players like Andrew Fifita and Brett Morris swapping clubs, when the NRL through the Long Serving Player Allowance has it in their power to reward loyalty, dedication, hard work and commitment.
The rule needs to change Mr Smith, otherwise we’ll end up with average crowds of 14,764 per game as per this round four, versus 22,388 last season for round four.

Ryan Winter

Just excellent

Great work Ryan. While this is a particularly public issue at Manly right now, I think your thoughts reflect the views of the vast majority of fans in the game.

I like what you wrote but I think you'll either get no response or a form letter explaining why it can't be done at this time but in the future they will be looking at it. (What that means in translation is don't call us we'll call you and we'll definitely look at it if it affects either the Storm, Easts, Souths or Dogs.)

OK NRL it's over to you. Please prove me wrong. Respond affirmatively.

Great letter mate. It's logical. Although I have a feeling they may scrunch it up and shoot for the waste paper bin when they see you are a Manly fan. Hope he reads it

Ryan, really good letter man. Hopefully this gets picked up by the media and causes a storm (in manly's favour of course).

Unfortunately all your going to get from them is the standard corporate response stating why they can't.

Manly To Win! said:
That's an excellent letter, you should try and send it to one of the footy magazines, RLW especially seems willing to publish fan views.

Good idea. Expect a nothing response from the NRL. But if you sent it to Fairfax or Fox Sports you may turn a few heads. Fox's football shows love discussing productive things like this. As long as it's quality, and it is. Get their attention then the NRL might take notice. Of course if they did take notice, the bald knob Greenturd would use it and take all kudos for it probably

Not only have these players been at Manly for a long time, but they were not imported to Manly as stars from other NRL clubs in the first place. They are all developed by Manly from being rookies.

David Gallop wrote this about keeping local players. But the NRL says it wants to encourage loyalty but does nothing to help make it happen.

The great thing for us in western Sydney is that we don't operate a draft system so we are turning local kids into local heroes out there.

Michael Jennings grows up at Penrith and goes on to become a superstar in his district and plays representative football. That is the thing that AFL can't do.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/this-x2026-can-only-throw-out-of-whack-the-afls-draft-and-cap-system-20100601-wvd8.html

How may local stars have that 'western Sydney' club, Canterbury, developed recently into superstars?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7