"Would you have made it" - WTF???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Firsly not a person who has a mindset refs are anti Manly, generally you get some poor calls for & against but just notice it more whoever you support - opposition fans - dif story but thats called jealousy.
Must confess to feeling a bit disturbed on Friday night though.
Late 1st half at a crucial moment the pups spilled the pill & matty B was off only 30ish metres out.
The ref pulled it up without any advantage & called MB back.
Ballin rightly questioned the call & copped the ref spraying "well do you think you would have got there??"
I was in shock thinking he would have gave gone darn close & if Snake or a support player loomed up it was 6 points.
Found this an odd call in a close game but as I stated -the ref can get it wrong like a player & make the odd mistake - just found it a pathetic copout how he justified the decision at the time......:huh:

It happened twice iirc. I mentioned in another post I think this is what Lyon was talking to the refs about going into the half time break. It seemed to work because it was better in the second half, but in the first half it seemed we only got penalties when we were about the make a break,

in fairness the lack of advantage went both ways- the penalty against skiv with 10m added had ennis attempting a quick tap & was unmarked only to be called back. later in the 1st half we had a penalty awarded for a marker pushing joe whilst playing the ball, i don't know who had the ball but i'm sure when the whistle was blown the player was close to scoring. no advantage again!

I didn't hear it as the ref justifying his decision. I heard him ask Matt if he thought he would have gotten there. He even had a laugh as he asked the question. It was just harmless banter. I think you read too much into this one.

we werent sighted as ballin took that ball. I think he may have juggled the ball and it touched a parra player making it a double knock on, and the ref was joking with ballin

bones said:
I didn't hear it as the ref justifying his decision. I heard him ask Matt if he thought he would have gotten there. He even had a laugh as he asked the question. It was just harmless banter. I think you read too much into this one.
Possably mate - I always wear the Maroon & White goggles without fail, still think the advantage play should always be played & feel the outcome of this particular moment would have been interesting....

Biscuits said:
we werent sighted as ballin took that ball. I think he may have juggled the ball and it touched a parra player making it a double knock on, and the ref was joking with ballin
What was the Parra player doing on the field? Definite grounds for a inquiry in my opinion.

I laughed when I heard the ref say it and hoped Ballin would have replied 'yes, so can you change your decision.'

MK Eagle said:
bones said:
Possably mate - I always wear the Maroon & White goggles without fail, still think the advantage play should always be played & feel the outcome of this particular moment would have been interesting....

Haha. I'm not saying the decision was right , I just don't think there was anything sinister in what was said.

How about stopping the play on the second tackle [I think] to award Manly a penalty with about 30 seconds to half time rather than play the advantage, this gave us no hope of o scoring a try as time ran out and we were compelled to kick for 2 points.

Both calls we're fine

The bulldogs player knocked on then touched it a second time, this technically makes the ball dead and out of play. When ballin picked if up the play was dead.

As for the one where it was played incorrectly that is an infringement that was caused by an infringement, no advantage because it was an infringement inside the advantage time.

Both calls we're 100% correct. The ballin one was a bit closer though

Peter C said:
How about stopping the play on the second tackle [I think] to award Manly a penalty with about 30 seconds to half time rather than play the advantage, this gave us no hope of o scoring a try as time ran out and we were compelled to kick for 2 points.
We won by that goal!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7