Willy Mason

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sillybus said:
Snake said:
Please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith.....

Why? He seems like he'd be perfect for us for just a year. Show the young forwards how to run forward and give them the experience he brings with him. Its only a year and he will be cheap. I dont see any loss in him moving to brookvale.

Could just see him working with someone like Hasson.The young guys need to have the mongrel instilled in them. As long as he stays away from The Steyne Hotel he'll be good.

Snake said:
mickqld said:
Undecided here. It just smells of desperation and turning us into a transit lounge.

yep! This my issue. This is a Dragons/Sharks/Raiders type signing; we are Manly for christ sake. You would never see clubs like the Roosters or Bulldogs buy deadwood like this, and for good reason.

Yet, you want to enforce a contract to keep a player in the club, that doesn't want to be here.

wombatgc said:
Sillybus said:
Snake said:
Please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith.....

Why? He seems like he'd be perfect for us for just a year. Show the young forwards how to run forward and give them the experience he brings with him. Its only a year and he will be cheap. I dont see any loss in him moving to brookvale.

Could just see him working with someone like Hasson.The young guys need to have the mongrel instilled in them. As long as he stays away from The Steyne Hotel he'll be good.

Exactly. And also JT. if he is as good as everyone says he is then a little guidance from a big bloke could do the world of good and take him to an even higher level

eagle40 said:
Snake said:
mickqld said:
Undecided here. It just smells of desperation and turning us into a transit lounge.

yep! This my issue. This is a Dragons/Sharks/Raiders type signing; we are Manly for christ sake. You would never see clubs like the Roosters or Bulldogs buy deadwood like this, and for good reason.

Yet, you want to enforce a contract to keep a player in the club, that doesn't want to be here.

Choc's won two premierships with Manly; I love him! Mason was always a player I loathed at Canterbury and the Roosters. Ever since he came back from overseas i've been waiting for him to retire because he is useless. He comes out and takes two hit ups, starts puffing and spends the rest of the game on the bench.

Snake said:
eagle40 said:
Snake said:
mickqld said:

Choc's won two premierships with Manly; I love him! Mason was always a player I loathed at Canterbury and the Roosters. Ever since he came back from overseas i've been waiting for him to retire because he is useless. He comes out and takes two hit ups, starts puffing and spends the rest of the game on the bench.

but you have to admit they are effective hit ups, 1876m from 42 hitups is just unheard of, averaging 45m per hit up

I never thought I'd say this. But I think we need big willie. After.some.rumours 12 months ago surprised we didn't get Tim Grant. Perhaps we just can't match.the bunny dollars. Who else on the market has that elite level experience? Not sure if Frank Pritchard signed with dogs a few weeks back he was suppose.to be going to the UK, Toov's could have a crack at talking bull bailey out of retirement.he was going around again until.the coach got the cut.

I just hope we do things in 2's. Big will in combination with Epa could be some combo. I hope he's.still with us. With a Donny preseason we could have two awesome.fro's.

Being honest, I can't see much downside to signing Mason.

He's played 277 NRL games, 27 tests (including 3 for Tonga), and 13 Origins. We've already lost Gifty (186 NRL games, 5 tests and 5 Origins) and Kingdog (239 games, 2 Origins).....and there is a chance we'll lose Choc (286 games, 16 tests, 14 Origins). Willie would somewhat make up for that experience, and even though he's past his best he would give our pack some extra punch from a hard head who's been there and done that. Hell, he might even be a good influence on the younger guys coming through.

He may be 34, but other than getting some high priced Pommy forward Mason is probably the best front rower who's available right now.

Snake said:
eagle40 said:
Snake said:
mickqld said:

Agreed, but with Watmough , he would sit in reggies for his final year, on vacation for 950k, he does not want to be here. End of story

Mason needs to play on because he needs the money (just quietly). He'll keep playing as long as he can because of that reason so health permitting, he's probably got 2 years left.

At this point in time, Brenton Lawrence is our most experienced Prop.

That is Pathetic.

If you guys think guys like Jake Trebojevic and Ligi Sao and Tyson Andrews and gonna learn their trade from Lawrence and Starling you are off your heads. They are still learning it themselves.

Snake said:
mickqld said:

What, like Jason Ryles or Reni Maitua?

Cliffy said:
I never thought I'd say this. But I think we need big willie. After.some.rumours 12 months ago surprised we didn't get Tim Grant. Perhaps we just can't match.the bunny dollars. Who else on the market has that elite level experience? Not sure if Frank Pritchard signed with dogs a few weeks back he was suppose.to be going to the UK, Toov's could have a crack at talking bull bailey out of retirement.he was going around again until.the coach got the cut.

I just hope we do things in 2's. Big will in combination with Epa could be some combo. I hope he's.still with us. With a Donny preseason we could have two awesome.fro's.

Luke Bailey was already retiring after this season. He is permanently retired due to the risk of a neck injury ending in him in a wheelchair, for life. Couldn't even play the final rounds, it is so bad.

Stevo said:

That is Pathetic.

If you guys think guys like Jake Trebojevic and Ligi Sao and Tyson Andrews and gonna learn their trade from Lawrence and Starling you are off your heads. They are still learning it themselves.

Our most experienced front rower has 69 games of NRL experience. FMD!!!!

This after letting go of 1200+ games of NRL pack experiences over the last 2 seasons. Our recruitment/retention in our forwards must be the worst in the NRL over the past few years!

Considering big forward packs are dominating the NRL how have we gotten this so wrong?

Ralphie said:
Everyone said Joe G was an old washed up hack when we signed him. How did that work out?

Just as good as when we signed that other broken down old hack, Ben Kennedy ;)

Hetherington knows Mason very well. They're good mates. He tells me that it's a done deal. Mason will be at Manly. Hetherington actually tied his luck to get Mason to come to the Capra's.

Tough choice hey? The Capra's or Manly? Hmmm. :p

SwornEagle said:
Stevo said:

That is Pathetic.

This after letting go of 1200+ games of NRL pack experiences over the last 2 seasons. Our recruitment/retention in our forwards must be the worst in the NRL over the past few years!

Considering big forward packs are dominating the NRL how have we gotten this so wrong?
Not really. This just shows that we are NOT about to embark on a rebuilding phase. We are already half way through one! And all while continuing to compete at the highest level.
I think we have got it pretty right so far, 2015 will be another interesting season for sure.

Mason has size, power and experience. Exactly what we need at this point. Hopefully we sign another smokey to compliment the Mason appointment.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
SwornEagle said:
Stevo said:

That is Pathetic.

Not really. This just shows that we are NOT about to embark on a rebuilding phase. We are already half way through one! And all while continuing to compete at the highest level.
I think we have got it pretty right so far, 2015 will be another interesting season for sure.

Yeah i agree. But i wouldn't expect too much success in the next year or two without at least one 150-200 gamer in the front row. Especially if chock leaves. We don't really have anyone who will take the ugly runs.

I'd be happy with big Willy, if for one year and with no massive cost I think he'd add some starch to our forwards.

Granted he's no Burgii brother (as in young and the best to come), but he's a character and I reckon when the going gets tough he's the sort of guy that can come on and inspire the youngsters.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4