Willy Mason

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NEW MASON DEAL IMMINENT
OCT. 9, 2014
Newcastle Knights Training Session NRL News
WILLIE Mason will sign a deal to continue his NRL career in 2015 with Manly, Penrith or St George Illawarra within the next 48 hours.

Currently in New Zealand promoting next year’s NRL Nines, Mason told Kiwi radio station LiveSport that he hopes to have a deal in place by Saturday.

“There are a few clubs in there and it should be settled by the weekend,” Mason says.

“It will be back home and I have been away from Sydney for a while.”

The Dragons, Sea Eagles and Panthers have all expressed some interest in the 34-year-old Mason after Newcastle announced recently they would not be re-signing the big front-rower.

- TONY ADAMS

Comments

He has done it all and we need his impact and experience and we would be getting it at the right price

Please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith.....

I'm really undecided on Willie. From all reports he has grown up a lot and is actually quite an asset within the team, however say 4 or 5 years ago he seemed quite divisive at the clubs he was at. I hope that if we get him that he has grown up, we don't need further divisions at the club.

Playing wise I think he would add something for sure.

I'm not sure about big willie. If he puts in then he could be worth a go. But if he comes into a fractured playing group he could be a divisive influence. We'd only offer him a year I would imagine so it's not the end of the world.

He's what we don't have, a big prop that can bend the line.

For a one year deal why not, and especially as he'd come cheap

Killer03 said:
I'm really undecided on Willie. From all reports he has grown up a lot and is actually quite an asset within the team, however say 4 or 5 years ago he seemed quite divisive at the clubs he was at. I hope that if we get him that he has grown up, we don't need further divisions at the club.

Playing wise I think he would add something for sure.

Grown up He's over the Hill .......LOL

I think signing him to a one year deal will benefit us and Willy immensely. Sure he's been a bit of a rogue in the past but he's a harmless boof head and his experience will definately be useful, as will his impact off the bench.

mickqld said:
Undecided here. It just smells of desperation and turning us into a transit lounge.

I see your point, but I think it's more a Ben Kennedy type scenario. A decent player at the end of his career who suits our needs. He can do his thing while supporting our younger props into the top grade.

I'm happy to have him at the right price.

mickqld said:
Undecided here. It just smells of desperation and turning us into a transit lounge.

yep! This my issue. This is a Dragons/Sharks/Raiders type signing; we are Manly for christ sake. You would never see clubs like the Roosters or Bulldogs buy deadwood like this, and for good reason.

Am I the only one that treats his reputation as an off field troublemaker less important or even inconsequential, in comparison to the impact that we need on field ?

If the bloke has chilled (somewhat) in the last few years imagine how good he might be in gods country and happily ensconced in our team environment and even more importantly....in his last contract and wanting to leave a legacy.

Our bench isnt that good we dont need an option.

Snake said:
mickqld said:

yep! This my issue. This is a Dragons/Sharks/Raiders type signing; we are Manly for christ sake. You would never see clubs like the Roosters or Bulldogs buy deadwood like this, and for good reason.
Roosters bought O'Donnell on a 1 year deal when everyone thought he was washed up, Souths got Tquiri

Snake said:
Please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith, please be Dragons or Penrith.....

Why? He seems like he'd be perfect for us for just a year. Show the young forwards how to run forward and give them the experience he brings with him. Its only a year and he will be cheap. I dont see any loss in him moving to brookvale.

Disco said:
Snake said:
mickqld said:

Roosters bought O'Donnell on a 1 year deal when everyone thought he was washed up, Souths got Tquiri

Good point.

He would be a good buy for the right price.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2