Williams v Robbo.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Does anyone know of the current negotiations around Williams and Robbo?  Why I ask is that I've just finished watching the total finals package and my view of those two is that Robbo clearly had a much better campaign.  Tries in all games and excellent in attack and defense.  Williams, while his attack is good, there's plenty of mistakes in him and he had to rely on Bell and Beaver to assist in defending.  I really can't see how he was picked for the Australian side ahead of Robbo.  Anyway, with Beaver and Bell gone, I hope his reading of the game improves.  A little concerning is the backline three, Williams, Williams/Bani and Matai. 

I've thought about this a bit. I prefer Robbo, I really do. In terms of consistency I can't think of a better player for Manly over the past three years than Robbo - I'd say he's really only had two or three games where I've gone "f*ck, ordinary game Robbo!". The one against Penny in the rain when he was fill-in fullback and was stepped by Preston and then Wesser to look very ordinary springs to mind. But 99% of the time he is the model player - no errors, great finisher, reads the play well and very good under the high ball. He's also not as old as many people think. Only 25. Unless he's asking for crazy money (remember, he is still "just" a winger) then I'd be stunned if we didn't retain him.

On the other hand Williams is going great guns and I love how hard he runs the ball - very effective on kick returns and a great boost for the forwards (although Robbo also runs the ball like a prop on kick returns). There are a few concerns over his ability to read in defence, but front on he is a good tackler - remember this was his first season in the top grade after a number of years where he did his knee/various other parts of his busted body. Look how much he improved this year as he had an injury free year. I can see similar improvement in him in attack and defence if he has another couple of good years with the body. I see Williams ending up in the centres eventually, whether it be at Manly or somewhere else. Also, and this may be harsh, but I can see him following the money a bit more than Robbo.

They're both excellent blokes and I hope they both stay, but in the end they are just wingers (at this stage) - if either of them prices themselves out of Manly's range, then cut them loose. We've got Bani on a healthy contract for another 2 years I think, so we probably do need to retain one of them. I'd be happy with either, but I think we'd get Robbo cheaper and we all know what we can expect from him every week.

I can't see why we can't keep both?

As per usual the Telecrap is spreading it's printed faeces stating how Wolfie is asking for 240K a season. Which of course is absolutely ludicrous. I doubt anyone for an instant could believe a player with less than thirty first grade games under his belt and a winger would demand that kind of money. Especially after winning a premiership in his first year at the club. Remember Monasgate?

I can't add anymore to what Will has said, but I have nothing but glowing admiration for Robbo. A consistent, quality performer who has been unlucky not to play rep footy.

I can't see either demanding the ego-inflated salary that certain outlet's are reporting, nor can I see Dessie wanting to go into 2009 without either of them.

Imo both players will be here in 2009.

I hope we give Wolfman a serious crack in the centres, could turn out to be a great power centre in the Matt King mould.

As many other posters have said before me, Bani was on fire at the start of the season, he really knows how to find the try line. Would hate to lose him either.

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. D.Williams
4. Matai
5. Bani

Probably the best backline along with the Broncs and Warriors.

I am predicting the backline to look pretty close to this-
1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. T-Rex
4. Matai
5. Williams
6. Lyon
7. Orford

I watched T-Rex pretty closely last year after we had signed him and i think he is best suited to the centres. I actually cant wait to see what this guy looks like after a pre season under Des Hasler.
The guy is such a handfull when he runs the ball.
He may be used as a utility in the Menzies mould, but i am predicting that he will be in the Centres.

Sorry guys but I cant see any centre qualities in David Williams, i think you will find more in Michael Bani. Bani is alot more versatile, definately a better defender and seems a better choice for mine.

Lyon may end up in the centres... but the way Des stuck by his decision to play Lyon in the 6 and the combination that he and Orford have struck up i can't see another playing ie. Bailey getting the 6 ahead of him.
I think Bailey will get the lock position with Glenn and Choc to partner each other in the back row.

I am predicting Hall will be the new Bryant for 2009
King, Cuthbo and Lestrange will fill the rest of bench
giving us the strongest team in the NRL on paper this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4