Why we need a SFS style stadium

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSM5 said:
Finding 40 mill is nothing. Just tax the rich and piss off middle class welfare and the funding of private schools. That's for starters. Halve the defense funding, stop the tax beaks for the big miners. There's plenty of money. And Peter C, don't tell me that running a deficit is pissing in the wind. We all do it when buying a house, car etc. Australia runs a very small structural deficit in comparison to the net worth of the country. And one must always remember that Howard 'pissed away' the benefits of the mining boom. Abbott can deliver on Brookvale, if he wants, it's just that he won't.

I thought this was a footy forum.

Peter C said:
Darren said:
I do believe that a redeveloped Brookie is number one for us. Abbott big noted himself last time so let's see how he comes through with the goodies.

What worries me is that if Abbott gets in, [and I hope he does]is that the Labor Government has been pi$$ing our money up against the wall for the past six years, that we'll be in such a severe deficit that funds for Brookie will be non existant.

Peter don't fall for Hadley and co telling you about deficit, study it yourself, we owe sfa.

What i find funny is when the conservatives talk about "paying off Labors Govt Debt" around 96 Billion in the Howard years, guess what just under half was accumulated by the Libs back in the Fraser years.

Now the Libs are going to piss money on the wall wasting money with their version of the NBN, they are giving an inferior product for short term financial gains with ongoing costs that will make it more expensive.(makes them look good to the uneducated masses of look we made it cheaper but in reality it will cost us more long term)

I never stated our crowds would initially go up they will actually go down but in time will surpass our flat trend.

If Souths, Bulldogs and the Roosters remained at their home grounds without any developments where would they be now.

I'm for upgrades to Brookie due to the potential of a good yield on the type of demographics that frequent the ground but you need to attract more first time attending fans to suck them in to the habit of supporting the club and a more central base will do that.

Manly fans will turn up in big numbers at the SFS "over time" as long as we are performing. Many big games and "hyped up games" like meaningful semis and well promoted big clashes will draw in the crowds.

Look at one of the first Monday night games in 97 i think between the Roosters and Manly around 40,000 attended, people will come when it feels like a big occasion.

Ask any footy fan from any club which ground they have either least visited or never visited in Sydney and i guarantee Brookie is on top of the list due to the lack of decent close public transport.

Better facilities will help generate more merchandise sales (easier to get to store fronts), more membership tailored packages and better corporate packages on top of drawing more people from away teams to home games so when there is a big occasion game you harness the interest from both clubs not just local Manly supporters.

Revenue wise in terms of crowds and ticket sales we have a guaranteed return that is not influenced by the weather so easier to plan our finances unlike today which relies on ticket sales and numbers through the gate.

I think if they drop the ticket price, the stadium will fill up.
especially if they charge no more than what we are forking out to sit on the hill.

Let me say I love Brooky more than any other ground.

Keep it.

Cheerish it.

Update it.

Edit: replace my word mordant for more - blames ipad but... seriously.

****loads of assumptions there TC, and a hell of a lot of risk involved in all of them.

Those big game semis like when we got 13K - 30K in 2011, one would assume they are twice a normal crowd so we are talking regular games of 6K - 15K. Can we as a club afford to carry a 10K crowd average? As a sponsor you would pay less as well since there are stuff all crowds, double wammy.

After a few years of that the club would be dead long before any adjustment was able to be made.

Further to that, I am not for trying to give away our home ground advantage, most of the argument for moving is to get more opposition fans to turn up. So then why not just play all home games at opposition grounds except for 2 nostalgic games at Brookie a year? Thats essentially what you are saying.

"****load of assumptions" hmm that is overstating it a little. More a case of following a trend with three other clubs as proof it has a good chance of working---that is a 100% hit rate of success at the moment.

Yes there are risks and being such an isolated up market demographic with higher than average disposable incomes will in some cases work against us but we need to attract a more rounded fan base.

The highest take up of pay tv nationally, long work hours, higher management type roles that have less time during the week and weekends on top of smaller family sizes means we need to broaden the appeal to more "aspirational" type of people from all corners of Sydney.

Add to the above a higher proportion of attractive people with more rounded lives and avenues for "entertainment" lol will also reduce the amount of people who will attend.

Remember Souths in the 90's at the SFS drawing pathetically low crowds, it had nothing to do with the SFS but purely on lacking a competitive team and struggling finances.

If we want to restrict our average crowd attendances to a Max of 15000-16500 we can continue on the path we are currently on.

I know we can hit over 20,000 at home given a good performing squad against a quality opponent on a clear day but with the advent of night football ,crap time slots and throw in bad weather we are at the mercy of too many variables and elements that need to be in our favour.

Fluffy i support Brookie from a selfish standpoint, from a state govt view NSW has way too many stadiums and Manly is not a growing population base so i am just being realistic.

Me personally i would attend more games at the SFS than at Brookie.

I'm all for a SFS type stadium as long as we can also have a totally derelect patch of dirt next to it that we can call a car park, charge people $30 to park in and make them wait 3 hours to get out of it after a game.

bob dylan said:
Peter C said:
Darren said:
I do believe that a redeveloped Brookie is number one for us. Abbott big noted himself last time so let's see how he comes through with the goodies.

What worries me is that if Abbott gets in, [and I hope he does]is that the Labor Government has been pi$$ing our money up against the wall for the past six years, that we'll be in such a severe deficit that funds for Brookie will be non existant.

Peter don't fall for Hadley and co telling you about deficit, study it yourself, we owe sfa.
Its not a swinging electorate. Abbot will do nothing.

Peter C said:
Darren said:

Wouldn't be holding your breath on that.
How much money did Brookie get when the Liberals were last in power?

DSM5 said:
Finding 40 mill is nothing. Just tax the rich and piss off middle class welfare and the funding of private schools. That's for starters. Halve the defense funding, stop the tax beaks for the big miners. There's plenty of money. And Peter C, don't tell me that running a deficit is pissing in the wind. We all do it when buying a house, car etc. Australia runs a very small structural deficit in comparison to the net worth of the country. And one must always remember that Howard 'pissed away' the benefits of the mining boom. Abbott can deliver on Brookvale, if he wants, it's just that he won't.

I think your confusing going into debt with living within or beyond your means. It's OK to go into debt to buy houses, cars etc.. so long as you can service that debt. I understand running a deficit to actually mean expenditure is larger than revenue for the financial year. For example if your household has income of $100k per year and that same household spends $120k (including debt servicing) then your household budget for the year is in deficit. Of course if that same household only spends $80k in the year (again including debt servicing) then that household is running a surplus, in spite of the fact that they have loans on their homes and cars.

I agree that Abbot could, if he wishes, deliver on Brookvale. However I am also certain he won't.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7