Why did we buy Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We've had injuries, the Hastings fiasco and the cap fiasco this year.

I think if it had been any two of those we could have still made the 8 this year. All 3 has just screwed us around too much. What really pisses me off is how unfit we are.

I'm sorry but I can't fathom why Dylan Walker, after a failed stint at 5/8 the year before last, is starting in that position when we have acquired Trent Hodgkinson.

What is the value of having Trent on the bench for 70 minutes and wasting Dylan at 5/8?

Is it that Trent is just such a cripple he can't play a lot of minutes?
Mate i recon Dylan is going great at 6 and has improved massively since 16 . Id keep him there and buy Bevan French for fullback and Tommy to the centres with kelly. Hodkinson was bought for a reason and went well against the storm but hasn't really set the world on fire since. We will probably keep him as i dont think anyone else will snap him up , but will be good regie backup.

We've had injuries, the Hastings fiasco and the cap fiasco this year.

I think if it had been any two of those we could have still made the 8 this year. All 3 has just screwed us around too much. What really pisses me off is how unfit we are.
Agreed. That's a lot of crap to deal with for the playing group and the coaching staff. People are saying that Trent needs to organise but Daly did really well in origin as an organiser. If we had one of no injuries, no Hastings controversy or no cap fiasco then I think he'd be doing significantly better. As it stands, any club would fold under the sort of pressure that we're under.
Mate i recon Dylan is going great at 6 and has improved massively since 16 . Id keep him there and buy Bevan French for fullback and Tommy to the centres with kelly. Hodkinson was bought for a reason and went well against the storm but hasn't really set the world on fire since. We will probably keep him as i dont think anyone else will snap him up , but will be good regie backup.
Agree with you. The team have been poor this year but Walker at 6 isn't the reason for it. We've played some of our best footy with him there.

Agreed. That's a lot of crap to deal with for the playing group and the coaching staff. People are saying that Trent needs to organise but Daly did really well in origin as an organiser. If we had one of no injuries, no Hastings controversy or no cap fiasco then I think he'd be doing significantly better. As it stands, any club would fold under the sort of pressure that we're under.

Agree with you. The team have been poor this year but Walker at 6 isn't the reason for it. We've played some of our best footy with him there.
It is not that simple with Trent Hodko i think we bought him as the closest and cheapest option to Green. However what has been hidden is that he is quite poor defensively which has made Trent Barrett gunshy after the woeful effort against Warriors from Hodko. It hasnt worked as well as hoped but as we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing. I am quite shocked myself as to how badly he falls off tackles. Please if trent was really going so well at sharks do you really think they would of let him go? Sometimes footy is about laying bet on the table and see what you get . For example Brenton Lawrence was never heard of before we signed him and the list of players goes on It is never black or white

Hodkinson can't run so he is useless in attack. He can pass and kick goals, but you need a 5/8 to put the opposition in two minds.
Everyone knows he's just going to pass the ball. Walker is a better option because he runs the ball. Give Tom Wright or Tevita Funa a crack at centre alongside Kelly and try Suli from the bench as an impact forward.

It is not that simple with Trent Hodko i think we bought him as the closest and cheapest option to Green. However what has been hidden is that he is quite poor defensively which has made Trent Barrett gunshy after the woeful effort against Warriors from Hodko. It hasnt worked as well as hoped but as we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing. I am quite shocked myself as to how badly he falls off tackles. Please if trent was really going so well at sharks do you really think they would of let him go? Sometimes footy is about laying bet on the table and see what you get . For example Brenton Lawrence was never heard of before we signed him and the list of players goes on It is never black or white
Exactly right. I don't think Baz has enough faith in Hodko to defend on the edges where they need to make one on one tackles. A lot of what we as fans say is in hindsight.

Didn't we get him from sharks? He actually performed well there in the couple of games he played this year.

I actually saw Barrett play for the Sharks at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide in 2009 when they came to town to play the Cowboys. Both sides at the time were running 15th (Cows) and 16th (Sharks) and this was only a few rounds into the season after the Sharks had finished 2008 as joint competition leaders with Melbourne and Manly.

Thurston and the under performing Cows (including Ben Farrar on the wing) tore Barrett and the even worse Sharks a new one that day, winning 34-10. Barrett from 5/8 captained the Sharks as Gallen was out injured. Another Sharks player that day was Matt Wright playing in the centres and he scored one of their two tries. It was only his second ever NRL game (and his first try) having made his debut a week earlier against Canberra.

A pic from that day.....Barrett and Matt Wright are on the opposite side of the field.
1929382_73668987746_5503205_n.jpg

Last edited:
With him we have
Backup halfback
Backup goal kicker
A decent backup player.

Without him we have nothing so more people can complain about our depth.
Too right, I mean what can we do when we have been caught out with the salary cap
We have players on the sideline that should be on the field earning there money
Trouble off the field with the very players that he is taken over from or should I say back up for.
He is no munster but he is probably all we can afford or all that we are permitted to buy, Who knows, but I do know one thing for sure is our players behaviour this year has not made things easy for our coach. Especially when they don't listen. This is what happens when our side (or any side) acts like a bunch of dumb f...s

Thanks for being honest @BOZO . You would think that his experience was the stabilising factor we needed, but DCE hasn't really benefited they way we thought. DCE is still trying to do it all and hasn't kicked on in form since Hodkinson arrived. Perhaps he isn't playing to his ability based on specific instructions/ game plan.. who knows for sure. Since we are being honest, I honestly thought that we could have managed to pick up Carney on a one year deal. Despite his past, he had enough ability to be worth the risk. Now we are stuck with crutches for another year. And no long term resolution to our 5/8 problem.
You've nailed it. It hasnt worked as it should because Trent wasn't given the team to run which you would think is why we bought him. Why TB didnt tell Cherry just to chill and play what's in front of him while Mr Cool runs the show I don't know. But with a bloody simple gameplan and a bit of game management from Hodko we'd actually be an adequate footy team. Frustrating to say the least.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8