Who would win our 100 metre race

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Whare got run down by Sam Tagatese when we played the Titans, so I'm dubious about claims he is a speedster. Maybe he just missed a gear that night, but it's not something you want on your "I'm quick" resume'. 

Dan link said:
Lyon on his day would be one of the quickest but robbo probably has it. In the current squad Stewart and wolfman, though there used to be a lot about whares speed

Robbo is fast but he isnt what id class as a speed merchant
Not against the likes of Donald and Bani were

100m isn't the point.

It's Rugby League, not athletics. Speed is about appropriate speed in appropriate positions. You want a 20m jinker, a 40m line breaker & a 80m breakaway or two.

If you want to pose the question of who's the quickest in the club, you need to qualify it to their training. Not compare it to another sport.

We missed Wolf & Snake.

Shane - you are wrong. Speed testing is done over 40 m in footy and times are compared at various stages. Duff is right in that it isn't athletics. Even World Champion sprinters can only run at top speed for a short time and the name of their game is efficient speed the rest of the time. Acceleration is an important part of the game as well - Soward of ST G excels in this area.

Don't let angles fool you on the field. What sometimes looks as fast as someone taking a shorter angle. We missed Wolf and Snake big time this year.

Shane link said:
We're talking about speed which generally means fastest over 100 metres

Then take it to the general forum because that is nothing to do with Rugby Leage.
Well, none more than which player can skull a beer fastest.

mickqld link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=185339.msg294793#msg294793 date=1284464945]
Fastest in maroon and white ever would have to be

Scott Donald vs Micheal Bani vs Brett Stewart vs David Williams

Sorry mate you mustn't have been around when Ken Irvine and Russell Gartner was playing.
[/quote]

Or even 1 Johnny Bliss

Shane link said:
Just because you dont like it doesnt mean other people dont enjoy it

What don't I like? I dig it all.

Maybe we're talking different sh1t here.
I'm talking about a practical sense of who is the quickest in a game. If you're just talking about who's the closest to getting to the Olympics, that's different.

Shane link said:

Our speedsters in no particular order – Les Hanigan, John McDonald, Russel Gartner, Johnny Gibbs, Dale Shearer, Michael O’Connor. Only saw Irvine a couple of times and he was at the end of his career, but still exceptional speed. Fulton wasn’t a natural speedster yet seemed to get faster over time and there was a couple of years at the peak of his career when he just blew opponents away with speed.
Of the more recent teams, Snake & Donald are as fast as any of them I’d say.

mickqld link said:

Sorry mate you mustn't have been around when Ken Irvine and Russell Gartner was playing.
[/quote]

Don't forget Rowdy Shearer when he was around. And who could forget Barry Jack Elsegood.

mickqld link said:

[/quote]

Dale Shearer was pretty quick too.

Tom Mooney and Ray Branighan.Also,a younger Eadie had a bit of toe,I believe.Did anyone say Mick O'connor yet?I remember he scored at Leichhardt 1 day,chasing a kick through.He got there that quick,they were saying he must have been offside.Not offside,he was fast!!

Lyon would be the quickest over 60 - 80m but may not be able to hold out the full 100. Look how quick he can position himself when we do make breaks.

He just looks slower because its all under control

Put a keg of beer at the other end of the field,and a few of the MWTS would beat a lot of the current players to it...lol!!I could name names,but won't,and I'm probably one of them!

mickqld link said:

[/quote]
Irvine was obviously the quickest, even through when he came from Norths he was past his lightning best.
I'm old enough to remember the flying brothers Nick and Fred Yackich (sic) - but I can't remember how to spell their surname!
What about Les Hanagan (again, I'm uncertain of his spelling)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6