Who will start at 5/8 - Schuster or Foran ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You cant deny what Foran can potentially offer at 5/8, the injuries are the problem. He knows how to move a team around a park and and 'deliver backline plays that will help the backs get more space rather than be given the ball and most always have to make something of it themselves.

Dont see why Schuster couldnt be switched as needed between lock and 5/8. A Cam Murray/Victor Radley type, but with an abundance more skill.

Still, I might be wrong and Schuster may blitz it at 5/8. After a good start in his debut, his kick happy 2nd half was a worry.

I reckon:

Foran at 6
Cust at 9
Schuster at 14

That's how I'd go.

Foran, injuries aside, is a proven commodity at #6 and still one of the best halves in the game when fit. Besides, I really can't see Des suddenly expecting him to be a dummy half or play second fiddle to a kid who's played less than one full game of first grade.

Cust is a former junior #9 and was training there with Croker before we signed Levi. I think Des mostly went with Croker because of his greater first grade experience. But this time around I think Cade will get first crack at the dummy half job.

Shoe is still just a kid. He's played what, less than 70 minutes in first grade? Sure he went well enough, but the opposition that night was no Penrith or Melbourne or the Chooks. It was the Tigpies who are hardly the poster child's for great defence. I'd ease him into it by playing him off the bench. He can cover the back row, lock and the halves.

Well in other news

FB_IMG_1604940884735.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is josh will play on edge at 12 and act as a second number 6. Cust will be 9.
Kieran not been brought here to play 9.

Whether you can believe Des or not, he did state in a press conference that Schuster will be 5/8 and Foran will be trained to play dummy half. If Foran played 5/8 that would give us Cust and Croker at hooker and we've seen that combination doesn't work. Unless Des buys another top hooker, we have none in the 30 as it is now.

Should have Foran playing a Scam Smith style where he really doesn’t do much heavy lifting in defence. Sadly he has been injury prone for some time so we need to use him sparingly otherwise he be out injured.

That’s the only way he could survive at 9 AND it’s the reason Scam is still running around at ( what is he now 38).

I'm pretty confident Foran was brought in for a year (no coincidence there) to cover for Fainu and as a dummy half sharing with Cust. Being injury prone, short stints on the field would suit him. A full game and he's a big risk of injury. Without a recognised hooker at this stage (Des may still buy one), Manly couldn't afford to lose Foran through injury and so brief stints is the way to go. Lose him and hooker then passes to Cust and Croker and we know how that would go. Cust will develop. Cant see the same happening with Croker.

Schuster would suit DCE enormously because his style demands attention from the opposition giving DCE more latitude and less responsibility as the sole play maker.
agree so much with that last sentence

schuster's confidence in 1st game was pretty impressive and you just know he will take the line on and not sit back

i wouldn't mind signing andrew mccullough on bottom dollar for backup, also a good mentor to cust (if hes 9 for a while) and fainu (god he needs one)

our outside backs are extremely lean with dylan gone - parker and taufua need to follow him out the door. to be fair funa is a pretty good centre so if dylan goes we will maybe be ok but i would obviously prefer someone as good as Naden

agree so much with that last sentence

schuster's confidence in 1st game was pretty impressive and you just know he will take the line on and not sit back

i wouldn't mind signing andrew mccullough on bottom dollar for backup, also a good mentor to cust (if hes 9 for a while) and fainu (god he needs one)

our outside backs are extremely lean with dylan gone - parker and taufua need to follow him out the door. to be fair funa is a pretty good centre so if dylan goes we will maybe be ok but i would obviously prefer someone as good as Naden
McCullough is coming off the worst hammy injury youll see. No way I want him at Manly at his age and after that injury

Cant see why they can't be interchanged as needed. I'd be starting Foz & see how he goes. When he starts to limp & wander round with his hands on his hips then whack on the shoester.

That’s the only way he could survive at 9 AND it’s the reason Scam is still running around at ( what is he now 38).

And that Mark is precisely why I think Foran will play 9. Heavy influence and involvement in the team plays but without the heavy running to the line where he has been proverbially smashed over the years and where most of his injuries have come from. A young Shuster on one side and a cherry the other side with 3 big boppers down the middle to choose from. He would thrive at 9. He could also very easily emulate the feats and the longevity of the great scam smith from there. I am not a big Des supporter atm but got to say really smart play from Des..... if the case.

And that Mark is precisely why I think Foran will play 9. Heavy influence and involvement in the team plays but without the heavy running to the line where he has been proverbially smashed over the years and where most of his injuries have come from. A young Shuster on one side and a cherry the other side with 3 big boppers down the middle to choose from. He would thrive at 9. He could also very easily emulate the feats and the longevity of the great scam smith from there. I am not a big Des supporter atm but got to say really smart play from Des..... if the case.

Its why I think he's back at Manly. Easy to forget he is not Foran '11. He's had five years struggling to get on the field through injury. He played well while on the field, but he wasn't the Foran we knew and loved. Part time work on the field would be ideal.

fair mate if its that bad, i didn't realise it was the worst hammy ever.

He was good for newcastle last year and would be on 200kish. If hes fit i'd take him for depth... as he'd be the only player in the top 30 who knows how to play hooker full time.
He tore it off the bone, he is as good as ****ed. There must be a young athletic hooker out there we can target. If we already have 27 then we add Saab and say Aloe Vera or however you spell it then only 1 spot left, surely that is a hooker

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2