Who was Manly's best in the past 50 years ... 5/8th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

who was Manly best 5/8 past 50 years

• Ian Martin

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Alan Thompson

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Martin Meredith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cliff Lyons

Votes: 61 87.1%
  • Bob Fulton

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Jamie Lyon

• Keiran Foran

• Total voters

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
TEAM SO FAR ..

Hooker ... Max Krilich
Prop ... Ian Roberts
Prop ... Mark Carroll
2nd Row .. Steve Menzies
2nd Row .. Terry Randall
Lock ... Malcolm Reilly
Halfback ... Geoff Toovey

Bench .. Anthony Watmough
Bench .. John O'Neill
Bench ... Kevin Ward

And now for 5/8th ... what a line up of great and magical players ..

PLEASE NOTE: That both Fulton and Lyon will also be named in the centre poll if not chosen at 5/8. .. choose wisely ..

I may have missed a couple of worthies, but I am fairly confident the winner will come from the blokes named ..

TEAM SO FAR ..

Hooker ... Max Krilich
Prop ... Ian Roberts
Prop ... Mark Carroll
2nd Row .. Steve Menzies
2nd Row .. Terry Randall
Lock ... Malcolm Reilly
Halfback ... Geoff Toovey

Bench .. Anthony Watmough
Bench .. John O'Neill
Bench ... Kevin Ward

And now for 5/8th ... what a line up of great and magical players ..

PLEASE NOTE: That both Fulton and Lyon will also be named in the centre poll if not chosen at 5/8. .. choose wisely ..

I may have missed a couple of worthies, but I am fairly confident the winner will come from the blokes named ..
I know Wally O’Connell was the considered a top notch 5/8 and may have even been the 5/8 in the very first best ever team I think was named for the 50th year

I know Wally O’Connell was the considered a top notch 5/8 and may have even been the 5/8 in the very first best ever team I think was named for the 50th year

Yeah agree , but the team is from the players 1970 - 2020 ... Wally last played 1952 I think ...

Will go against the grain here and plumb for Alan Thompson just shading Cliffy . Cliffy had mercurial attacking skills but defence or consistent defence was not a strong point despite again a glittering career . Alan Thompson was almost the complete 5 /8 package in attack and defence , played a leading role in titles for Manly in 76 and 78 . Australian and S O O rep , great competitor and career for Manly and excellent team man . Just a personal take , minority opinion naturally but can see enough reasons to warrant it .

I think so ... tomorrow will be centres ... and the number of champions NOT selected will be legendary ...
Jeez we’ve had some beauties at 3/4 over the years.

I’m thinking Bozo / Lyon but we’ve had some gooduns

Last edited:
This shouldn't be a question; rather, a statement of fact.

Cliffy is the best 5/8..well...ever. Nobody had his vision, nobody could set up a try like he could. He would have more try assists than any other half in history, and who could smoke a cigarette, drink a beer and set-up Beaver all at the same time? Cliffy alone could. Ahh and his long kicking game...ok maybe not that, but what a player.

I voted Cliffy but how he or Thompson weren't selected as the best 5/8 in the Manly's greatest teams in 1990 ( Thompson only possible) or 70th anniversary teams ( Lyons or Thompson) I don't know??!! I know Wally O'Connell came to us and stood down a year to captain coach but he only played 2 years and lost his test jumper while at club. I think he gets selected for contribution to club as captain coach then coach alone and making first GF in 51. Lyons and Thompson both played over a decade and made a lot of rep teams and won multiple GF's and lost a few of those too unfortunately but are way better candidates for a greatest ever team

We could use one of those blokes in our team this year

Lots of legends there and all deserve a place

No one is more worthy than the most decorated player of them all . The one and only Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton and I would have him in the centres with Jamie and Cliffy at 5/8

We could use one of those blokes in our team this year

Lots of legends there and all deserve a place

No one is more worthy than the most decorated player of them all . The one and only Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton and I would have him in the centres with Jamie and Cliffy at 5/8
Bozo I hate to break it to you, but you can only choose Bozo in one position.

Damn we have been strong in every position,,,,but this list Tops the lot I reckon.
Really could have Fulton being arguably the greatest player ever, but in my time it's Cliffy Lyons.
Could mesmerise any opposition defence without using todays predictable shift plays....by using the ball like a wand to freeze the defence before holding up the best passes - before - at - and through the line like no other player perhaps in history
Also dug Manly out of many games at the death
He was surprisingly quick and could rip an intercept try with anticipation, decent kicking game and was 2nd only to Terry Lamb as that inside support player after a line break....targeted on the edges in defence like most halves, but did have a handy 1 on 1 slingshot tackle, ala Alfie and Ray Price.....anyways- no more raving but it's pretty obvious this is a Maxta "Top 5" all time favourite- please consider

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10