Who leaves in 2020?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Am not expecting much squad turnover, although some will be needed given the quality coming through the ranks.

I suspect we will lose (or let go) at the end of 2020:

1. Thomson: True warrior, but will be hard to justify $400k for him by 2021 given the development of our young backrowers.

2. Elliott: Good-value depth player who won't be needed by 2021 after young Hopoate stars this year.

3. Waddell. Will have a break-out year in 2020, meaning other clubs will pay much more. Sadly, we won't be able to match their offers.

4. Boyle: Too many good props in our system. One will have to make way for Keppie. Boyle the most likely.

5. Miski: Too good for reserve grade. He'll have to move to a weaker club (ie, the other 15) to find opportunity.

6. Funa/Anderson. It's now or never for them. Probably Anderson to go if he doesn't kick on.

That will free up 6 spots, mostly to be taken by our outstanding development squad.

Am not expecting much squad turnover, although some will be needed given the quality coming through the ranks.

I suspect we will lose (or let go) at the end of 2020:

1. Thomson: True warrior, but will be hard to justify $400k for him by 2021 given the development of our young backrowers.

2. Elliott: Good-value depth player who won't be needed by 2021 after young Hopoate stars this year.

3. Waddell. Will have a break-out year in 2020, meaning other clubs will pay much more. Sadly, we won't be able to match their offers.

4. Boyle: Too many good props in our system. One will have to make way for Keppie. Boyle the most likely.

5. Miski: Too good for reserve grade. He'll have to move to a weaker club (ie, the other 15) to find opportunity.

6. Funa/Anderson. It's now or never for them. Probably Anderson to go if he doesn't kick on.

That will free up 6 spots, mostly to be taken by our outstanding development squad.
If Siro kicks on, I imagine he too will attract big money offers which we won’t be able to match.

The changing of the guard - development and retirement the cycle of football careers. Gee I hope we kick arse this year.

I think all posts above are pretty accurate, though I think most cap pressure will be more from retaining 2-3 young guns who will be under the scope of many other NRL sides, offering some temptatious offers and promises for a youngster....I stick by the fact at least 2 youngsters will get a run and maybe even leapfrog into the 17...such is the ridiculous talent coming through at once.

How different to all the doom & gloom that was forecast in the forum at this time last year! Since then, the club's DES-tiny has been realigned.
What? All the ramblings that anything less than a sixth place finish is a fail? Yeah, couldn’t agree more... punting Barrett would have to be right up there with some of our best ever business I’d imagine. Trent seems like a very decent bloke, but boy, how out of his depth was he?

My favourite Barrett excuse was when he threw out the line that the boys were walking back to their cars from the showers to get changed. That was followed closely by the “my family have been forced to clean the gym” and the “I had to bring in furniture from home.”

And to think... he complained about not having a list manager, then tried to claim credit for Manly’s turnaround due to the strength of the list. I reckon he’ll probably make a decent, keep the boys happy with a yarn or two assistant at Penrith.

The King is dead... long live the Des!

Then there’s Brad Parker... didn’t he throw it back in some faces.

Last edited:
Boyle is signed till 2021 and I'm sure Thommo signed a 2 year extension too. So on face value they will still be here in 2021 - not that contracts mean anything these days

The great thing with Des is that our players actually want to be here, and we don't have to pay overs for dickheads like Nate Myles to furnish the squad. We will probably lose players like Miski because they're good enough for FG but too far behind in the pecking order for our backline, and I doubt Boyle will be with us for long if his form is like last year's, but overall I trust our squad as it is to perform at a very high level for the next few years, injuries permitting.

The only thing that could derail this season is our lack of depth at 9. Even if we get Levi, if he goes down with an injury we'll be playing somebody out of position to cover him. That is a big concern.

Good thread .... I think we will feel some pain .... it is where the dreaded front and rear end loading contracts becomes the only real option of "honest" teams to keep a squad together for that 2 year Premiership window .... and where ... I hate to say it .... bargain players like T-Rex become important .....

If, as several good judges predict ..... Keppie, Paseka, Sipley, Guacomole, Suli, et al all have good seasons we will have to call Dessie Merlin if he can keep them all .........

Every team needs a core of worker bees around the big money stars ...... The big question is ..... which players in our current squad other than T-Rex ... will be on a low contract next year ????

Elliott is an important at this stage for at least 2020 untill we see how hoppa progresses.
As much as I love having thommo, I hope 2020 is his final season in Maroon and White.
Waddell or one of the young guns to take his place which opens up a bench spot for another young gun.
Other than that froggy and t rex to drop out of the 30.

Good thread .... I think we will feel some pain .... it is where the dreaded front and rear end loading contracts becomes the only real option of "honest" teams to keep a squad together for that 2 year Premiership window .... and where ... I hate to say it .... bargain players like T-Rex become important .....

If, as several good judges predict ..... Keppie, Paseka, Sipley, Guacomole, Suli, et al all have good seasons we will have to call Dessie Merlin if he can keep them all .........

Every team needs a core of worker bees around the big money stars ...... The big question is ..... which players in our current squad other than T-Rex ... will be on a low contract next year ????
What's considered big money?
We all know about the obvious ones but some of those worker bees are probably on good $$ and on way more than what we are aware of. That's was my suggestion re performing and underperforming.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4