Who Is the Next Immortal?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Johns was put in too early. Meninga most definitely, his record, especially rep footy speaks for itself whether you like him or not. Think about Lockyer and Thurston later, and please, don't ever think about Fittler.

100% agree that Johns was put in too early. WAY too early but those at RLW had a thing for the guy all the way back to the 1995 World Cup. I fear they are the same way with Thurston.

Just as an aside for this topic, when Joey Johns was inducted it was made very very very clear that an immortal was made due to what they did on the field as a player. So again they made that clear for Meninga supporters regarding his record as Qld coach, and also of course because of Joeys.....issues (that seems a little understated).

I guess my question here is should off field issues be taken into account? Talking to people like my dad (and even years ago my granddad), they said that so much stuff went down with players (in a lot of sports) that would make a lot of so called living legends be brought back down to earth that it would make your head spin. Sure these days the scrutiny is 1000 fold what it was, everyone has a phone, and indiscretions are reported constantly,

To me an immortal signifies some deification. A person who not only was at the top of the game, but a person that a sport would be proud to hold up to other sports and to the general public as representing that sport. In Joeys case, he has certainly fallen flat on that front.

And for the record Joey is the best player I've ever seen. I didn't see enough of the Sterling, Kenny, Lewis crowd to really rate him there. But to me he stands well above the pack after that (ie Daley, Langer, Thurston, Lockyer, Fittler etc).

I dislike the fact that a magazine runs this, they may have started it but it should be awarded now by the NRL.

I agree. It astounds me that the nrl don't do their own. It's just so amateurishly ridiculous! There is no reason it can't be done, none, nada, zilch, zip,....... shenanigans.....malarkey.

As also said....have your top tier 'immortals' if you will but also have a hall of fame like every single other professionally run sporting code in the universe.

With regards to Meninga: We all know he once famously said rugby league has done nothing for him....I am happy to see that tradition continue, i.e A no vote from me!

I agree. It astounds me that the nrl don't do their own. It's just so amateurishly ridiculous! There is no reason it can't be done, none, nada, zilch, zip,....... shenanigans.....malarkey.

As also said....have your top tier 'immortals' if you will but also have a hall of fame like every single other professionally run sporting code in the universe.

With regards to Meninga: We all know he once famously said rugby league has done nothing for him....I am happy to see that tradition continue, i.e A no vote from me!

The Baseball HOF seems to get it right with the voting system they have.

The Baseball HOF seems to get it right with the voting system they have.

Yes and no. The members of the MLB HoF are elected by either the Baseball Writers Association of America (most of them are elected this was) or by the HoF Veterans Committee. The problem with this has been that there have been a number of players who more than deserved a spot in the HoF that aren't there because the player(s) didn't have a good relationship with the press. Put simply there are a number of worthy Hall of Famers who never got elected because those in the press didn't like them as a person. Nothing to do with their playing ability or what they achieved in baseball, but everything to do with how they got on with the press. There has been a lot of bias in the selection process.

One thing I do like in how they elect their members is that off-field behaviour is often taken into account. If a player was involved in a scandal (or more than one) or had a reputation for alcohol or drugs then its unlikely they'll be elected. Also players banned from the game for one reason or another (e.g. the 1919 Chicago 'Black Sox' who threw the World Series and Pete Rose who bet on games....though mostly on his own team to win) will never get elected. And that process cuts out two of the best ever. Rose is regarded as one of the best in history but will never be there and 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson who has the 3rd highest batting average in MLB history won't be either because he was a member of the Black Sox.

Last edited:
I agree a Hall of Fame scenario comprising of an independent committee which could include past players, referees, NRL officials and perhaps media and the public. Somewhat like a Players Association or Men of League type structure.

This committee should look at what the player has achieved in the game (representative stats, awards community service etc) as well as the accomplishments achieved off the field be it coaching, promoting the game and community work such as educating the youth or visiting the ill etc

Perhaps taking the best points from those adopted in overseas codes such as Baseball or the NFL.

The Bronco Mail up here is reporting Wally the Wanker wants Alfie Langer immortalised........Lol

The off field antics of Langer are well known in QLD.

I'm in favour of a Hall of Fame, but the title " Immortal" should only be awarded to a very very select few.

Talk right now is that Darren Lockyer is likely to be the next player immortalised.

The NRL (and the media) seem to be on a "Keep Queensland Happy" campaign lately......

I can see Lockyer getting the nod, though Thurston and perhaps Cam Smith of the present players could be considered in future. Never saw Provan so I cant comment. Daley, Fittler no way. Meninga, like Brad Clyde, in my opinion was over rated...Noel Cleal was just as devastating and both were one dimensional players, outstanding in one or two areas but not overall. To me Lockyer from the beginning had something special about him and was outstanding both as full back and 5/8. Like King Wally he dominated the games he was in. I could be parochial and name a few Manly players (like Cliffy) but it wont happen. Lockyer to me stands supreme over the rest.

I can see Lockyer getting the nod, though Thurston and perhaps Cam Smith of the present players could be considered in future. Never saw Provan so I cant comment. Daley, Fittler no way. Meninga, like Brad Clyde, in my opinion was over rated...Noel Cleal was just as devastating and both were one dimensional players, outstanding in one or two areas but not overall. To me Lockyer from the beginning had something special about him and was outstanding both as full back and 5/8. Like King Wally he dominated the games he was in. I could be parochial and name a few Manly players (like Cliffy) but it wont happen. Lockyer to me stands supreme over the rest.

Hey Bearfax, I always thought Lockyer was seriously overrated. Even though he was great with the ball in hand (behind at least a Qld State of Origin pack every game of his career, of course) his defence was poop. Didn't he have Tonie Carroll and others do all of his tackling for him?

You forgot to add....

2012-present - One of 3 Donkeys cheerleaders (along with Lewis and Tallis) masquerading as a Channel Nein commentator who's voice unfortunately sounds like he downed a bottle of vodka before every broadcast.

I know he can't help his voice being like it is so I'm not picking on him for that. Just saying what he's been doing since retirement.

Provan
Eadie
Turvey/sterlo
Meninga
Lazarus
Stuart
Langer
Fittler
Lockyer
Killer

Then maybe Thurston ...he was awful in the GF. That Churchill medal was engraved as soon as the Cowboys won the prelim final!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6