Who Is the Next Immortal?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Sideline Eye

Reserve Grader
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wait-until-2023/story-fni3g8pa-1227567975812
Interesting article in the DT regarding the next possible immortal and the rules which apply when consideration potential inductees. Whilst I believe Thurston will eventually become an immortal, I don't mind the idea of Meninga becoming the 10th inductee especially when you consider not just his playing career but the success he has had as a coach of the QLD side.

Your thoughts.

Thurston for sure. However, there should be an award given to Brett Stewart. He has been through so much in his career with success, injury, off field crap. He'll never be an immortal, but in my eyes he is a champion of the highest order. Imagine the heights he could have reached in the game without the injuries. Then there's the diabetes. He is a dead set champion!

Long live Snake!

Last edited:
Thurston for sure. However, there should be an award given to Brett Stewart. He has been through so much in his career with success, injury, off field crap. He'll never be an immortal, but in my eyes he is a champion of the highest order. Imagine the heights he could have reached in the game without the injuries. Then there's the diabetes. He is a dead set champion!

Long live Snake!
this is my favourite post of all time on Silvertails!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wait-until-2023/story-fni3g8pa-1227567975812
Interesting article in the DT regarding the next possible immortal and the rules which apply when consideration potential inductees. Whilst I believe Thurston will eventually become an immortal, I don't mind the idea of Meninga becoming the 10th inductee especially when you consider not just his playing career but the success he has had as a coach of the QLD side.

Your thoughts.
I'm of the opinion that people are throwing around this "Immortal" term far too much. Inglis, Smith, etc are not immortals. I can accept Thurston being one but I personally wouldn't vote for him to be, and especially not Meninga. Lockyer missed out when Johns was selected, if he wasn't good enough to be selected in 2012 he's not good enough to be selected in 2016.

Never saw him play, but the fact someone with the record of Norm Provan hasn't made it casts a bit of a shadow over the concept. It seems to have been overtaken with the Channel 9 fixation on declaring a new 'greatest player of all time' just about every year in a thinly disguised bid to bump viewing ratings.

Mal Meninga has to be made an Immortal before Thurston.

* 1981 and 1985 BRL Premiership player with Souths Magpies
* 1989, 1990 and 1994 NSWRL Premiership captain of the Canberra Raiders
* 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1994 Kangaroo Tourist, the only player in history to make four tours and the only player to captain the squad twice (1990 and 1994)
* 46 test matches for Australia, 23 as captain.
* Captained Australia to series wins over Great Britain (1990, 1992 and 1994), New Zealand (1991 and 1993), France (1990, 1994) and Papua New Guinea (1991)
* Captained Australia to win the 1992 World Cup Final
* 32 Origin games for Qld, 12 as captain
* 7 games for Qld under the old State of Residence rules
* 1990 Golden Boot winner as the best player in the world
* Qld Team of the Century 1908-2007
* ARL Team of the Century 1908-2007
* 2003 ARL Hall of Fame inductee
* Coached Qld to 9 Origin series wins in 10 years including 8 in a row from 2006-2013

For my money he should be an immortal already and if not for the NSW bias from the selection panel at the time he should have been made one either before or in place of Andrew Johns.

The whole Immortal concept is tosh atm, it's decided ad hoc to boost RLW sales

The NRL needs to take control, keep the current imortals than induct 1 per decade

Should be cream of the crop, Lockyer, Smith, Inglis should not be immortals

Then the NRL need to sort out the hall of fame, boost the numbers to 20 in one go the induct two players per year. Hall of fame should be for players like Menzies, Eadie, Stewart, Toovey, Lyons, Sterling, Kenny, Lamb, Stuart, Daley, Fittler, Lamb etc etc

Announce the players in GF week, immortals are obviously in bothAlso make a rule that you cant be an Immortal until 5 years after retirement, let the hype settle before you put Thurston ahead of Meniga, Proven etc

Beaver should be an immortal.

over 500 first grade games, try scoring record for a forward, 2 premierships in the modern day, heaps of work off the field and squeaky clean unlike Johns, Lockyer, Thurston, Meninga.

I dislike the fact that a magazine runs this, they may have started it but it should be awarded now by the NRL.

I would think Meninga should be next, and then Thurston 10 years later, but I also think it's a travesty that Norm Provan has been overlooked , and he may not have much more time left to be around if in fact they see the error of their ways.

Meninga certainly a Hall of Fame player, as is Provan, Coote, Locky, Inglis etc, but he's certainly no immortal, as a matter of fact his statements during the Super League War as the recently retired Australian captain at the time, should automatically disqualify him.
As for his coaching record, Queensland were blessed for ten years with the best players, simple.

Ron Coote, Steve Rogers this induction.

Meninga, Locky, Beaver, Laz & Webcke, JT, Cam Smith & Inglis in the future.

cheers

Beaver should be an immortal.

over 500 first grade games, try scoring record for a forward, 2 premierships in the modern day, heaps of work off the field and squeaky clean unlike Johns, Lockyer, Thurston, Meninga.

Beaver won't be an immortal. But he should be.
I don't begrudge Thurston. Say what you like, the guy is a rare talent.

Johns was put in too early. Meninga most definitely, his record, especially rep footy speaks for itself whether you like him or not. Think about Lockyer and Thurston later, and please, don't ever think about Fittler.

Provan is already immortalised in Rugby League by being on the Premiership trophy, and rightly so. He should also be an 'immortal'.

Mal Meninga...What did Rugby League ever do for me...Fark him....

No more immortals, hall of famers maybe...The last knob didn't deserve his status.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7