While no one was watching.......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
...we ended up 4 points away from 15th place. Melbourne this week. No matter how I look at it, I can't see how we are going to manufacture a win down there with half a first grade side in the stands.

I've only supported Manly since 1973 but I can't remember us ever being in this position before.
I can't worry about what certain players are doing next year while we face such a battle this year.

All I want are 17 players to give their guts for our jersey. So far all I've seen is a lot of going through the motions.

I have been supporting since 1980 and have never seen us in this position either. Even in 99 I can't remember us being last. 2003 was awful as well but we still won enough to avoid the spoon by ten points thanks to souths.

I've never known us to be in such a horrible position with such a bad injury toll. Its a terrible position to be in. I questioned to myself the amount of long term injuries we have been suffering over the past few years and can't figure out if it is due to bad luck, ageing roster, or perhaps poor injury/player management

Manly has always been a team where we need all the peaces of the puzzle to perform well. There is no way we can find any rhythm the amount of players we have on the side line. Its not a great start to the year as we have had rotten luck but the tide will turn when we're fit.
This same roster bar Choc came 2nd last year.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I can't believe how we've gone from last year to being hailed as the minor premiers (at about Round 20), and massive favourites to win the comp. To the current situation where it's almost now expected among the rugby league fraternity that we will get the spoon.

Manly has always been a team where we need all the peaces of the puzzle to perform well. There is no way we can find any rhythm the amount of players we have on the side line. Its not a great start to the year as we have had rotten luck but the tide will turn when we're fit.
This same roster bar Choc came 2nd last year.
And Jason King, I wonder if we are missing him off the field as well as on.

Last edited:
Some of you have forgotten the year that Bozo resigned to allow Peter Sharp to take over. We lost 7 of the first 8 if memory serves me correctly. That was 1999 I think. What followed after were the darkest years of ever, with the ill-fated merge and no Manly for four years. I stopped supporting so to get Manly back and then to re-emerge as a Super Power was unbelievably good.

Injuries have been ridiculous. Especially in game, I can't recall having so many guys get injured early and us having to change our systems to cover for it. In a few games its been telling on the scoreboard. Sure we would love for us to have regrouped and its still not an excuse to play poorly, but I think thats where the off field stuff has played its part. If things were a bit happier off the field then maybe the boys would have bonded more on it under these circumstances as opposed to fracturing as it appears.

I'm pretty much convinced that this isn't actually happening. I'm now waiting for Scottie to beam me up and out of this parallel universe where things are so out of whack that a team like Manly is coming stone motherless last and a number of players don't look like they even give a stuff about it! The so-called effort against the Dogs last Friday is a case in point. It just defies all logic and natural laws of the regular universe. I'm finding it difficult to function.

Manly actually lost their first 7 games in 1999 and were stone motherless last. That's when Bozo stepped down as coach and was replaced by Peter Sharp.

We can win this weekend. We've already got a win over Melbourne this year, we might be able to do it again.

The only thing that will turn this around is hard work. The team need to work harder as a unit. The injuries that we are getting and there has not been one round that we have been at full strength need to be covered with better depth. Our reggies have been rubbish for 4 years on the spin and we are now seeing the result of poor depth. The club has managed this on a streamline budget and more money needs to be invested at this level.

Trouble is we've got the wrong Greek, wonder if Socrates has ever played League, Nietzsche would'nt be bad signing, he's got a bit of mongrel..
And Confucius as ref leaves Checchin for dead

I've never known us to be in such a horrible position with such a bad injury toll. Its a terrible position to be in. I questioned to myself the amount of long term injuries we have been suffering over the past few years and can't figure out if it is due to bad luck, ageing roster, or perhaps poor injury/player management
It's not just the injuries and they are significant, it's the cancer in the playing group that has destroyed morale.

I love your optimisim.
But sadly this won't happen.
We are gonna have trouble getting points from the bye rounds.
When we ( players coach the whole fcking club) are optimistic anything is possible . In the end we get what we accept .
Lets all be optimistic I am not in the mood for any fcking negative lay down and die posts !!!

For 2 yrs we were coached by this guy called Alan Thompson. But NOT the famous 5/8. Another guy, ex forward. During these 2 yrs - someone can refresh my memory of when this was - our attack gradually fell apart, then our defense. It was not a good time. But this has been more of a sudden drop, - like Wiley E Coyote falling off a cliff that is no longer there.

The Players in a whole need to have a hard look at themselves . Cherry Evans and Foran have done nothing since they decided to leave and go elsewhere. I have supported this Great Club since 1978 and it is killing me to see what is going on and I am sure this is happening to others too. Surely we have other forwards than young Jake Trbojevic we could use at Prop because this Kid is just not up to it at present. And Truly I Love Willie Mason's Enthusiasm but realistically why do we waste good money on dead wood . We need some fire and sting in our attack and defence. Maybe Moving Matty Ballin back to Lock and give Jayden Hodges a go at Hooker some quick dummy half runs to get us on the front foot when our pigs are tired. The Club Management needs to be made accountable too for how we are going. They should never of allowed for this to happen . I just hope they use their brains with our recruitment for the next 4 years . Buy and Keep our Youth and not ole aged pensioners lol.

I think it's a combination of all those things @Dan , not one in isolation.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6