Where to start with that one

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
Bones, its not pronounced Gold Coast any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gktl4f_hejE

I thought that was an outtake from Dusk Till Dawn.

susan said:
Looking at these games individually gets us nowhere.We are a tired team playing gallant but dumb footy getting more tired each week and the errors are a symptom of playing 15 v 17.Keep up the current bench tactics and a team like the raiders(after a Melbourne roadtrip) will teach us the lesson we need to snap us out of this ridiculous approach.

I would actually like to know why we don't use our full bench? Glenn Stewart could have used a rest last night.

susan said:
Looking at these games individually gets us nowhere.We are a tired team playing gallant but dumb footy getting more tired each week and the errors are a symptom of playing 15 v 17.Keep up the current bench tactics and a team like the raiders(after a Melbourne roadtrip) will teach us the lesson we need to snap us out of this ridiculous approach.

I know, you coach!!! :)

Kiwi Eagle said:
Well, what can we say after that ? Very disappointing final 15mins, I could handle the 1st 65 but that last 15 tipped me over the edge

Starting off with the big positive from tonight, Peta Hiku

I'd think he would have silenced any doubters tonight, I think we have a future star here, very impressive for a bloke playing his 2nd NRL match in a top of the table effort. Defensively he will get better when faced 1 on 1 like that, but he took the ball nicely and in attack was always where he should have been in the set moves running nice lines. Passing ability in that situation will come with experience and on the kick return I thought he looked good bringing it back

Defensively both sides showed why they are 1 and 2 on defence this season, very tough to crack and not 1 try given away through the hands for either side shows the commitment and scramble both sides have in them

Now onto the other stuff. We looked like we were coming good in attack early in the 2nd half but it fell to bits near the end.
As I mentioned last week, the aimless flicking out the back has to stop, too often it is costing us metres and putting a receiver under pressure, there are multiple players guilty of this.
When we were looking good, it was on the back of a player running a straight hard line, Foran led the way with that tonight and we needed to play his way more as Horo and Matai were dangerous around him. It is happening too often now, and Foran maybe needs to man up and demand the ball more on that side.
Glenn will probably cop plenty for the right side attack but I don't put it down to him (other than the grubber on the 2nd tackle), some of his play made us look a bit more dangerous tonight, 1 that springs to mind is when a nice ball put DCE into a massive gap.
Daly needs to change his game up, I have noticed it the past few weeks but tonight will be the 1st time I mention it. There is too much glory play stuff in his game at the moment. I have no issue with him looking for the big play from time to time, but it is happening too often for my liking.
Too often his passing game is putting his receiver under massive pressure, case in point tonight when close to the line he gave one to Stewart who was under massive pressure and spilt it. His passing game has also been lacking in execution far too often with the ball hitting the ground or too high for the player. He isn't playing crap, but he is capable of far better and I have no doubt we will see it within the next few weeks if he puts in the hard work and reins some of those plays in a bit.

Now is the part I will probably be slammed for. Ballin is a great defensive player, but in attack, extremely ordinary. No dummy half running game to speak of, but the bit of his play that gets me the most, is his option taking when we are within 10m of the line. 2-3 times a set he will throw a face ball to a forward on the burst, never any variation to it and usually very easily covered and it costs us prime opportunities in the attacking zone.
I have always been more of a fan of the 2008 model where we had Ballin for 50 and L'Estrange for 30 to add some attack and I would love that type of player in our set up again.
Outside of the silly offloads I feel our forwards are as good as any in the comp and are setting the platform week to week

I don't think it is all doom and gloom, can't win the comp situation as some people will carry on with, but there are a few things that need to be addressed

Player wise I already mentioned Hiku, very impressed

Matai, an all time Manly legend imo, commitment every week, into everything and hardly ever lets us down

Lyon is a bit down on his best at the moment, A lot of people are putting that down to Stewart but that is too simplistic, he isn't creating his own stuff like we have become accustomed to either

Foran, going from strength to strength, needs to see more ball

Kite and Lawrence are laying a nice platform week after week, and Choc is just Choc. Couple of penalties from lawrence at the end were disappointiing

Glenn Stewart, another big talking point at the moment. Mixed bag tonight, good in defence, in the 2nd half for me his attack looked to really be coming back nicely, but really let himself down with a horrible play kicking on the 2nd, will only get better though i think

Rose will be another talking point no doubt. Shoulder charge extremely disappointing. I read during the game some saying he had zero impact, can't agree at all, he is still a handful to bring down every time he has the ball, and showed a few times how good his footwork can make him close to the line. Solid game without being outstanding, but his carries tonight and his tackling last week for me show he is far from the spent force many people are saying he is.

Buhrer. I'm lost with him at the moment. He has ability, but I just can't see where he fits into the side anymore with the emergence of Horo and Symonds. Horo was outstanding hitting the holes tonight and Symonds is always dangerous. Buhrer works hard but isn't offering any impact. I think he could shine as a Horo type line runner and has shown that ability early in his career, if we use him i'd love to see him close to Foran. Maybe an impact hooker could be his best role currently ?

The send off. Classic high tackle send off for me, if that doesn't go, then nobody will for a high tacke. Swinging, Rose never lowered and he smashed him square in the head. Cracked me up how the commentator said "If he stayed down injured it's a definite send off", that shouldn't come into the equation, the contact should

All in all, we have a right to feel a bit downcast on that one tonight as fans. However I think we should also remember, that a good defence will always keep you in the game, and we are near the top of the heap in that area and it will win us many games. If the attack sorts out we are still up there with the contenders, it isn't all doom and gloom as the next week on here will probably portray. Souths are without a doubt a mile ahead of the rest at the moment
@kiwieagle
You can be a real smartass with those Ladyboi comments and I know we have had our differences in the past but I have to say you would be one of the most objective level posters on here mate. I enjoy reading your comments post game win or lose.

I have to say i was impressed with hiku last night he reminds me of a mini matai.

manlyfan76 said:
bob dylan said:

How good is that I stumbled across it yesterday how's the little bloke next to Healy he just pisses himself laughing

CamSmith said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Well, what can we say after that ? Very disappointing final 15mins, I could handle the 1st 65 but that last 15 tipped me over the edge

I'd think he would have silenced any doubters tonight, I think we have a future star here, very impressive for a bloke playing his 2nd NRL match in a top of the table effort. Defensively he will get better when faced 1 on 1 like that, but he took the ball nicely and in attack was always where he should have been in the set moves running nice lines. Passing ability in that situation will come with experience and on the kick return I thought he looked good bringing it back

Defensively both sides showed why they are 1 and 2 on defence this season, very tough to crack and not 1 try given away through the hands for either side shows the commitment and scramble both sides have in them

Now onto the other stuff. We looked like we were coming good in attack early in the 2nd half but it fell to bits near the end.
As I mentioned last week, the aimless flicking out the back has to stop, too often it is costing us metres and putting a receiver under pressure, there are multiple players guilty of this.
When we were looking good, it was on the back of a player running a straight hard line, Foran led the way with that tonight and we needed to play his way more as Horo and Matai were dangerous around him. It is happening too often now, and Foran maybe needs to man up and demand the ball more on that side.
Glenn will probably cop plenty for the right side attack but I don't put it down to him (other than the grubber on the 2nd tackle), some of his play made us look a bit more dangerous tonight, 1 that springs to mind is when a nice ball put DCE into a massive gap.
Daly needs to change his game up, I have noticed it the past few weeks but tonight will be the 1st time I mention it. There is too much glory play stuff in his game at the moment. I have no issue with him looking for the big play from time to time, but it is happening too often for my liking.
Too often his passing game is putting his receiver under massive pressure, case in point tonight when close to the line he gave one to Stewart who was under massive pressure and spilt it. His passing game has also been lacking in execution far too often with the ball hitting the ground or too high for the player. He isn't playing crap, but he is capable of far better and I have no doubt we will see it within the next few weeks if he puts in the hard work and reins some of those plays in a bit.

Now is the part I will probably be slammed for. Ballin is a great defensive player, but in attack, extremely ordinary. No dummy half running game to speak of, but the bit of his play that gets me the most, is his option taking when we are within 10m of the line. 2-3 times a set he will throw a face ball to a forward on the burst, never any variation to it and usually very easily covered and it costs us prime opportunities in the attacking zone.
I have always been more of a fan of the 2008 model where we had Ballin for 50 and L'Estrange for 30 to add some attack and I would love that type of player in our set up again.
Outside of the silly offloads I feel our forwards are as good as any in the comp and are setting the platform week to week

I don't think it is all doom and gloom, can't win the comp situation as some people will carry on with, but there are a few things that need to be addressed

Matai, an all time Manly legend imo, commitment every week, into everything and hardly ever lets us down

Lyon is a bit down on his best at the moment, A lot of people are putting that down to Stewart but that is too simplistic, he isn't creating his own stuff like we have become accustomed to either

Kite and Lawrence are laying a nice platform week after week, and Choc is just Choc. Couple of penalties from lawrence at the end were disappointiing

Glenn Stewart, another big talking point at the moment. Mixed bag tonight, good in defence, in the 2nd half for me his attack looked to really be coming back nicely, but really let himself down with a horrible play kicking on the 2nd, will only get better though i think

Rose will be another talking point no doubt. Shoulder charge extremely disappointing. I read during the game some saying he had zero impact, can't agree at all, he is still a handful to bring down every time he has the ball, and showed a few times how good his footwork can make him close to the line. Solid game without being outstanding, but his carries tonight and his tackling last week for me show he is far from the spent force many people are saying he is.

Buhrer. I'm lost with him at the moment. He has ability, but I just can't see where he fits into the side anymore with the emergence of Horo and Symonds. Horo was outstanding hitting the holes tonight and Symonds is always dangerous. Buhrer works hard but isn't offering any impact. I think he could shine as a Horo type line runner and has shown that ability early in his career, if we use him i'd love to see him close to Foran. Maybe an impact hooker could be his best role currently ?

The send off. Classic high tackle send off for me, if that doesn't go, then nobody will for a high tacke. Swinging, Rose never lowered and he smashed him square in the head. Cracked me up how the commentator said "If he stayed down injured it's a definite send off", that shouldn't come into the equation, the contact should

All in all, we have a right to feel a bit downcast on that one tonight as fans. However I think we should also remember, that a good defence will always keep you in the game, and we are near the top of the heap in that area and it will win us many games. If the attack sorts out we are still up there with the contenders, it isn't all doom and gloom as the next week on here will probably portray. Souths are without a doubt a mile ahead of the rest at the moment
@kiwieagle
You can be a real smartass with those Ladyboi comments and I know we have had our differences in the past but I have to say you would be one of the most objective level posters on here mate. I enjoy reading your comments post game win or lose.

I have to say i was impressed with hiku last night he reminds me of a mini matai.

manlyfan76 said:
bob dylan said:

How good is that I stumbled across it yesterday how's the little bloke next to Healy he just pisses himself laughing

That's Gold Can't!

Kiwi Eagle said:

Send a copy of this to Tooves.

eagle chick said:
Wonder if Toovey et al ever think to jump on here and have a read out of curiosity....

As I don't have a facebook nor twitter account, I assume they do to get all my nuggets of gold.

Strange I've yet to be contacted via email though.

What's happened to Lawton?, I think a zippy, creative super sub is exactly what our team needs at the moment.

Last night was a very ordinary showing by us. And conversely to some people's post, we have much to fix.

Crazy and panicked offloads, no patience at all. Forward passes, fundamental errors like not finding touch and balls going to ground. And an unbelievable amount of missed tackes.

It's all well and good to say the roosters scored two arsey try's, but our ONE wasn't exactly off a majestic back line move, or perfectly executed hole running and ball playing.

Our timing is so far out its not funny, we are telegraphing our back line plays and getting picked off easily. We look complacent and it's only our Awesome scrambling defence that is keeping us in contests, our attack is ordinary and we are giving up incredibly easy metres throughout large sections of the game.

I'm not terribly worried yet, but to say we only have a few minor issues is way off the mark in my opinion.

We need a more effective bench, a fitter Glenn and a team that is willing to put the hard yards in before trying some of he ridiculous options I saw last night.

I know they are pro footballers but this back to back to back Monday stuff is also not helping us.Every player says publically they hate the wait and many games are simply flat.They were two good sides out there last night and it was terrible.You cant tell me a Sunday arvo game wouldn't have produced a classic.

Imagine our guys getting off the plane on a cold Sunday arvo this weekend to play the storm on their third Monday night in a row.Psychologically I reckon they are shot before they start.

I never fear a flogging with our side as they play so tough but I wouldn't be surprised to see our decimated crew get really put to the sword this weekend and to be honest Im not that worried.It is a game we never win anyway.

After that things become more normalised with a better draw and a pretty good origin run and we can concentrate 100% on holding down 4th which is our best result really given our injuries.After that anything can happen.

I may get shot down here but what Cam Smith said about the Storm after they got beaten the other night kind of rings true with us.

We may not be the Premiers but every team plays us like we are.

Us and the Storm have been the benchmark sides for the last 6-7 years now so that is how we are measured.
Penrith, Canberra, Gold Coast etc won't win the comp but they have a notch on their belts that they took down the best.
The Roosters and Souths are now running 1st & 2nd ( yes, it's May ) so at the moment they're no bums much to my disgust.

At the start of the year we were told we had no depth and an ageing roster.
Last night we were missing 5 of our first 17 - King, Joe, Richie, Symonds and Snake. Our win/loss without Snake is significant.
Glenn is feeling his way back when we're playing like he's got his old mojo.
We've lost 3 games by a combined total of 22 pts and we've competed till the final whistle in all of them.
Some of our guys are busted - Choc, needles every week - Matai, needle before the game - and they lead the way.
Jorge is still green, Snake isn't 100% either.
Symonds, Horo and Lawrence add the newbie entusiasm but don't really come from battle hardened clubs.

There's probably six teams that can win it from here and we're one of them.
Let's see how everyone's travelling after Origin, that's when the real comp starts.

susan said:
I know they are pro footballers but this back to back to back Monday stuff is also not helping us.Every player says publically they hate the wait and many games are simply flat.

Had to laugh in disbelief on Saturday night. Thaiday getting interviewed after the game and was questioned about their short turnaround before the Titans game!...Yeah, no customerary friday night game ( call a royal commision Sam!), and the Titans were still nearly 24 hrs away from kicking off against the Dragqueens.

It's not panic time yet. Nowhere near it. We will more than likely still be in 4th spot even if we lose to the Storm. We have a bye coming up. Origin is kind to us this year with byes before origins 1and 2 and as good as a bye before origin 3 playing NQ without JT, Back-brace girl and the two big boppers.

Gee Susan you are really down about our prospects right now. I agree last night both sides seemed a bit flat but I don't think our team is tired or running out of gas. I also see us facing a Storm side that is really labouring at present. I can see a win for us down there on Monday.

Only down on us because of injury/suspension,the fact those injuries are long term and the use of the bench which can only leave our guns as shot birds at the death.The top 4 or 5 sides are separated every year by one thing-the health of the roster.The Storm is a perfect example.They have never had injury problems and are the only side to continue to run top 4.

I still believe if Stewart does return in 3 weeks(which given our history I doubt),Glen returns to form as I expect,we play a far more conservative style and we field our usual top 13 at the back end with Symonds,Buhrer,Rose and Faoso on the bench we can win the thing.Richie is far more important to this side than people think.He can create momentum.

But one more serious injury then missing the 8 is a possibility as the coaching staff 1.has no confidence in the back up and 2.wont play them anyway.Not playing them is ridiculous.Just as ridiculous as 5 pigs playing virtually 80 minutes every week against sides with great benches.There is no way we will have enough petrol at the back end to do it and to put it simply more time on the field means greater chance of injury.I think everyone knows one more long term injury we are cooked.

As for the Storm game we will try hard but that joint is a graveyard and going on a long roadtrip to a 3rd Monday night game to that ****hole against a desperate side with an 8 day preparation at home is both physically and psychologically daunting.To be honest I give us zero chance but at the same time it doesn't worry me that much.We usually get towelled down there even at our best and I look forward to a better draw,a real nice run in origin and some luck with injury.

We are now being written off by the "'experts and punters"" and that places us,yes you guessed it,right where we want to be.....under the radar!

I enjoy reading Susan's posts, always gives a fair assessment imo. We have the team to win the whole thing this year we just need to get our troops back and work on our composure/patience. Also as you say, being written off by the experts puts us under the radar where we perform best.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6