Where is our club headed?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
Obviously quite a bit of chat around tonight in regards to coaching staff and players etc.

However as I sat there at the SCG as the full time siren rang out, I pondered about what the future holds for our club.

We’ve now lost 10 from our last 11 matches and we can all blame the current squad for these performances, the fact of the matter is since the start of the 2015 season, the club has been pretty awful in many aspects for around 90% of that time.

Across the whole joint, there seems to be a lack of passion, a lack of drive that has been accustomed to the Manly culture for many many years before.

I feel that the club is now at a crossroads where if something doesn’t drastically change, then it won’t be long before we’re down the path of no return.

Des is into his 3rd year and apart from the 2019 season, we’re back where we were like with Barrett in 2018.

It seems to me that the whole club is rudderless starting right at the top with Penn

Personally, I see no ambition from the club, no outlook to the future. We all know the club lost a lot of money in 2020, but where is the plan to bounce back? Where is the iniative that a good business would show?

They’ve bungled the memberships for this year, which in turn will give us our lowest tally in about 9 years, not to mention what is offered by other clubs in terms of entertainment, merchandise and the general experience of being a member.

Gone are the days where the MWSE can survive on being a footy club. We are now a business and to be honest, a ****e one at that!

I really do hope things change soon but I won’t be holding my breath.

2019 the squad played well, pre-covid we looked pretty good in 2020.

Post Covid we have underperformed significantly, attitude has been abysmal.

Not much looks to have changed since our horrific end to the 2020 season, it’s the definition of insanity repeating the same results without making changes.

We had a player clean out prior to this season and still performance was horrible today. Squad management is a major concern, no number was a major oversight and as Toovey says someone needs to be made accountable.

Something of significance needs to change urgently to get us off the bottom of the ladder, 46 points against in round one is an alarming sign that change is needed.

Obviously quite a bit of chat around tonight in regards to coaching staff and players etc.

However as I sat there at the SCG as the full time siren rang out, I pondered about what the future holds for our club.

We’ve now lost 10 from our last 11 matches and we can all blame the current squad for these performances, the fact of the matter is since the start of the 2015 season, the club has been pretty awful in many aspects for around 90% of that time.

Across the whole joint, there seems to be a lack of passion, a lack of drive that has been accustomed to the Manly culture for many many years before.

I feel that the club is now at a crossroads where if something doesn’t drastically change, then it won’t be long before we’re down the path of no return.

Des is into his 3rd year and apart from the 2019 season, we’re back where we were like with Barrett in 2018.

It seems to me that the whole club is rudderless starting right at the top with Penn

Personally, I see no ambition from the club, no outlook to the future. We all know the club lost a lot of money in 2020, but where is the plan to bounce back? Where is the iniative that a good business would show?

They’ve bungled the memberships for this year, which in turn will give us our lowest tally in about 9 years, not to mention what is offered by other clubs in terms of entertainment, merchandise and the general experience of being a member.

Gone are the days where the MWSE can survive on being a footy club. We are now a business and to be honest, a ****e one at that!

I really do hope things change soon but I won’t be holding my breath.
The club needs to stop being run like it survives on meat tray raffles and sausage sizzles.Hasler has got to stop living in the past,be more pro active in the promotion of team.Stop this “under the radar” approach and make the club more approachable to sponsors and those that are willing to help out.Look at last year,the Broncos finished last,played terribly and still received plenty of media attention,which sponsors love.Manly on the other hand,whilst they finished a few rungs higher on the ladder,played just as bad,if not worse than Brisbane,yet not a peep from the media about it because Des/the club,like to keep things behind closed doors.And on a personal note,I’m sick of Des’ “uming and arring” at press conferences,be more articulate and promote the club better.They have two of the most promotable players in the comp in Tom and Jake but you don’t see them

Last edited:
The club needs to stop being run like it survives on meat tray raffles and sausage sizzles.Hasler has got to stop living in the past,be more pro active in the promotion of team.Stop this “under the radar” approach and make the club more approachable to sponsors and those that are willing to help out.Look at last year,the Broncos finished last,played terribly and still received plenty of media attention,which sponsors love.Manly on the other hand,whilst they finished a few rungs higher on the ladder,played just as,if not worse than Brisbane,yet not a peep from the media about it because Des/the club,like to keep things behind closed doors.And on a personal note,I’m sick of Des’ “uming and arring” at press conferences,be more articulate and promote the club better.They have two of the most promotable players in the comp in Tom and Jake but you don’t see them
I too am sick of des umming and arrring.. he sounds like a fool! I want answers not mumbling bs

Great teams are built on a solid recruitment plan ,I would be serving Crusher and Fulton's heads on a platter first.
Agree, but unfortunately until the time where we have some RICH owners who want to change the direction and invest in improving everything to do with the club as a whole, the mighty in the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles has gone. Until then we are a bottom 6 club forever.

Great teams are built on a solid recruitment plan ,I would be serving Crusher and Fulton's heads on a platter first.
Our recruitment and retention since 2015 has been a disaster.
Dce 8 year contract is a total failure.
Turbo brothers contracts a disaster.

We need a recruitment team that aren’t little fan boys and play hardball. And us as fans need to be ok with players leaving the club if there asking for way to much money. Case in point, everyone on here screaming for Shuster to be re-signed, I agree but only at a appropriate price. The days of us paying overs for players need to stop, now.

Who'd know where the club is heading. There's no fan engagement, management are mute, there's no business plan that has been pushed to the public, there's no talk from the place at all. We re-sign average reserve graders Croker, Parker, Suli, Garrick, Taufua, Gosiewski, Boyle, Sirronen. We persist with disruptions Walker and Fainu who should've been long gone. We sign a has been at 6 while keeping a future star out and we put all our $$$ into an over rated myth, an injury crock and his brother who has gone back to being a park footballer. Finally a coach who's living in the past ideas and who seems to think that constant 40 pt floggings are just bad luck and a few things to work on , all the while picking the same garbage sh*t players who have no f**king idea how to tackle. We're fu**ed boys and girls simple as that. Anyone could see after that trial game that nothing has changed from last year. 75 years and we'll celebrate it with our first wooden spoon. Well done you bunch of hopeless loser f**ks. Congratulations on being the worst Manly side ever.

37af2eb8eb47098c4ada4703f5dfa36b.gif

I don't think the club put together a succession plan after the success of our team between 2005-14.

If you see what happened halfway through that 2014 season and how it sowed the seeds of a serious slide that we have all witnessed.

In 2014 the club faced decisions over the cap, Do they retain Gift? Or do they do everything to keep Foran and DCE? Those decisions continue to haunt us to this day. We have DCE on an outrageous contract and in my opinion we have seen only limited return on investment. I do not blame DCE for our demise, I blame the people who manage the cap for this.

Mid 2015 we sack Toovey and that ripped the club apart. At the end of 2015 Fulton oversaw a clean out of the club and we let guys like Gutho walk without making much effort to retain him and we let the bulk of the 2015 Holden Cup grand final team and coach leave. These players and coach should have been part of the succession plan I mentioned earlier.

Hiring Barrett, did not work, rookie coach out of his depth. Bad game plans, ageing stars and a reluctance to change things.

Des comes back with a sullied reputation from his last years at the Filth dogs, has a honeymoon year in 19 when the team did a great job in making the finals. It covered the cracks of our shortcomings for 2020.

If you remember we lost Tommy Turbo for large slabs of the 2019 season and the team found ways to win without him, right now they fall apart when he doesn't play!

I believe something that Jack Gibson would say, "Winning starts at the front office" We have seen a revolving door or CEOS over the last 6 years or so and a lack of stability and leadership. Our owner lives abroad and is not very hands on at the club.

We have significant challenges facing us. Brookvale oval is going to need a total face lift and if that happens, where do we play for the 2 years that this is going to take to rebuild?

We are on a shoe string budget and the club needs serious investment so that we can match our rivals. Going to the SCG yesterday you can see why the Rorters are one of the top clubs. The game day experience for their fans is light years from what we get at Brooky!!

There is hope! Our current Matthews and SG Ball teams are very strong and we have some outstanding youngsters waiting for their chance.

Manly have prided themselves on their DNA to play hard, be skilful and have a toughness that is the envy of the league.

We are a bit lost at the moment and hopefully we will see some resilience build out of the current adversity we are in. It means brave decisions need to be made about our playing roster, coaching staff, administration and commitment from the senior management and people who own the club.

The club will bounce back!!

Another thing I might add to that frustrates me.

Back in 2015, Scott Penn sold the land of the Leagues Club for at least $20M and was quoted at the time that the money would go to the Brookie renovations.

6 years later and all the club has invested in the current works is a measly $500,000.

Where has the remaining money gone?

A nice sum of that money could had been invested in turning the club around, but no, ever since then the whole joint has been a dogs breakfast.

We look and play like the magpies when Tommy was coaching them. We have become a retirement home for players that were never any good yet they get extensions with us. We have a coach who run out of ideas years ago.

The owner should sell the club it is obvious he doesn't care. Nobody hates us anymore most people just laugh at us.

Our players lack discipline off the field if they are not facing police charges, gang signs on social media, getting pissed and racing a punter with a dodgy hammy.

No direction and very little hope for a quick turn around.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8