Where are we heading as a club?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Meanwhile where has the return been for the $25mil that we've poured into the pockets of DCE, Tom and Jake. It's deadset been an utter disaster since 2013. No decent management to preside over sensible recruitment and retention decisions. I see no way out of this mess until we concentrate on recruiting forwards who have some ticker and can tackle 1st and having a balanced backline without an over paid halfback and a constantly garaged Ferrari fullback.

Meanwhile where has the return been for the $25mil that we've poured into the pockets of DCE, Tom and Jake. It's deadset been an utter disaster since 2013. No decent management to preside over sensible recruitment and retention decisions. I see no way out of this mess until we concentrate on recruiting forwards who have some ticker and can tackle 1st and having a balanced backline without an over paid halfback and a constantly garaged Ferrari fullback.
basically ever since Penn took full control.... until he sells the club to people that know wtf they are doing we will always be hasbeens

I don't think that is the right question. Every side has top paid players. From the top to the bottom of the comp.
Not sure how you can dig at DCE. He's been one of our best for years. Barrett was terrible for his game. Des got him back on track and this year he's been great.

It's the cattle around him that are the problem.

Hunt on a million a season hasn't helped out stgeorge much.

Honestly our forwards are largely ****.

Jake’s a toiler , and a passionate one , but on HUGE money.

Paseka is a tryer, starting to look the goods.

Ola , good player , but due to our set up is looking a bit average.

Croker , another tryer , but not a top class 9.

Bully , coming along ok , but probably wouldn’t get a run on start anywhere else.

The rest , average or below average.

Our backline isn’t the issue , with a fit Tommy ( not sure we’ll ever see it but here’s hoping ) and the players coming in next year we are more than ok.

But our forwards really are , mostly ineffective and almost always dominated.

Fix that issue and we’ll start winning games.

The title of this thread begs bigger questions than: have we got the right players this year or next, or even can we, will we, win the comp next year. Even if we did win it next year, in many ways that's just a band-aid over a bigger problem.

In both the NRL and AFL many of the respective Sydney-based and Melbourne-based teams have been struggling - teams that did not struggle in the past.

Why?

Lack of junior talent? Kind of.

Lack of benefactors with deep pockets? For some - maybe for most.

Increased competition from new teams - diluting the talent and the available sponsorship dollars? Yes.

Substandard pathways to first grade? Not enough junior development? Administrators not keeping up? Too much competition too close to 'home'? Too much competition from 'other' sports or other leisure activities? Current cost of living pressures for supporters?

Probably all of the above.

Throw in another, somewhat contentious one - the increasingly changing demographic of Sydney & Melbourne.

Do folk with no history of RL or the tribalism of Manly vs whoever give a tinker's cuss about the rise or fall of our beloved Maroon & White?

Sydney & Melbourne are the big immigration portals - and for most the final destination of - people who come to Australia. RL markets already overcrowded with teams, fighting for (for example) 'Sydney RL supporter market share', let alone 'Australian RL Supporter' market share.

Our biggest issue is potential (and actual) irrelevance in a sport that is in itself at risk of irrelevance in an increasingly global market for sports consumption.

It would be interesting research to find out whether traction is being gained or lost with immigrants in regards to RL, and do they feel affiliation to the team where they live.

Our whole side( every player) does not have consistency. We win 1 then loose 2 or win one loose 1. Too much money involved nowadays. Imagine the head space these guys are in. We can bag the players till the cows come home but will not change anything. We have the players to at lest make the finals but weather the players themselves realise that is another story. It’s a far cry from the average money days where the club was thriving. Too much in the game has changed and now more than ever we need the right mentality. I don’t think we have that. I dunno I’m at a loss. All we can do is keep egging them on. We will probably come good when least expecting. At the moment I’m lost.

Hey mate, I get what you're saying, but how about this:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. NEW WINGER
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Gordon Chan Kim Tong
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Josh Schuster

14. Lachlan Croker
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Ethan Bullemor

Depth: Christian Tuipulotu, Tommy Talau, Toff Sipley, Brad Parker, Karl Lawton, Ben Condon, Jamie Humphreys & others.

Actually looks stronger than this year mate.

Stick with it, we need hardcore fans like you buddy. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Who have you got at fullback after round 7?

Hey mate, I get what you're saying, but how about this:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. NEW WINGER
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Gordon Chan Kim Tong
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Josh Schuster

14. Lachlan Croker
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Ethan Bullemor

Depth: Christian Tuipulotu, Tommy Talau, Toff Sipley, Brad Parker, Karl Lawton, Ben Condon, Jamie Humphreys & others.

Actually looks stronger than this year mate.

Stick with it, we need hardcore fans like you buddy. I promise you won't be disappointed.
01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. Jaxson Paulo
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Gordon Chan Kim Tong
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Lachlan Croker

14. Karl Lawton
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Ethan Bullemor

Depth: Christian Tuipulotu, Tommy Talau, Toff Sipley, Brad Parker, Josh Schuster, Ben Condon, Jamie Humphreys & others.

The title of this thread begs bigger questions than: have we got the right players this year or next, or even can we, will we, win the comp next year. Even if we did win it next year, in many ways that's just a band-aid over a bigger problem.

In both the NRL and AFL many of the respective Sydney-based and Melbourne-based teams have been struggling - teams that did not struggle in the past.

Why?

Lack of junior talent? Kind of.

Lack of benefactors with deep pockets? For some - maybe for most.

Increased competition from new teams - diluting the talent and the available sponsorship dollars? Yes.

Substandard pathways to first grade? Not enough junior development? Administrators not keeping up? Too much competition too close to 'home'? Too much competition from 'other' sports or other leisure activities? Current cost of living pressures for supporters?

Probably all of the above.

Throw in another, somewhat contentious one - the increasingly changing demographic of Sydney & Melbourne.

Do folk with no history of RL or the tribalism of Manly vs whoever give a tinker's cuss about the rise or fall of our beloved Maroon & White?

Sydney & Melbourne are the big immigration portals - and for most the final destination of - people who come to Australia. RL markets already overcrowded with teams, fighting for (for example) 'Sydney RL supporter market share', let alone 'Australian RL Supporter' market share.

Our biggest issue is potential (and actual) irrelevance in a sport that is in itself at risk of irrelevance in an increasingly global market for sports consumption.

It would be interesting research to find out whether traction is being gained or lost with immigrants in regards to RL, and do they feel affiliation to the team where they live.
It's my understanding Bob, that Albo has placed a South Sydney Membership form and the words to Glory Glory to South Sydney in every immigration package. Successful citizenship is contingent upon the completion of both. Looking at their membership numbers, it seems to be working. Given the real estate costs of the Northern Beaches, getting the average immigrant to join might be problematic. @:D

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. Jaxson Paulo
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Gordon Chan Kim Tong
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Lachlan Croker

14. Karl Lawton
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Ethan Bullemor

Depth: Christian Tuipulotu, Tommy Talau, Toff Sipley, Brad Parker, Josh Schuster, Ben Condon, Jamie Humphreys & others.
Sorry mate, what is this team meant to be - a team you'd like to see or think you'll see?

Sorry mate, what is this team meant to be - a team you'd like to see or think you'll see?
It's just a response to Ryan's team above @Seagles68 I believe we will need Croker's defence/workrate/mobility/fitness in the middle if we go with GCKT as dummy-half. I also feel that Schuster would provide limited (if any) consistent impact from the bench. Thus I have him as depth and outside of the seventeen until he proves he can handle the lock role at Blacktown. The rest is pretty similar to Ryans YART.

Last edited:
It's just a response to Ryan's team above @Seagles68 I believe we will need Croker's defence/workrate/mobility/fitness in the middle if we go with GCKT as dummy-half. I also feel that Schuster would provide limited (if any) impact from the bench. Thus I have him as depth and outside of the seventeen until he proves he can handle the lock role at Blacktown. The rest is pretty similar to Ryans YART.
Gotcha. I suspect you'll have to add Lodge to the mix now.

I would have him in for Aloia if he ends up in the thirty next season.
That's a lot of cap money in Reggies coz I can't see anyone wanting him at the price. What sort of trouble to do you think JA might cause if he sees he's on the outer? Having asked that, I can't see Seibs doing that. I still think Keppie has upside but I feel he's the one that would be let go.

We're headed to perth if things keeps going like this, but maybe that's what the owner wants 🤷‍♀️

Where are we heading as a club? Straight to hell in a handbasket. Our club's culture has been completely destroyed by Penn & Co.
We might surprise next season, but several things will need to go our way. I do like the Jaxson Paulo and Tommy Talau signings. They are two guys who have potential. The Brooks signing may turn out to be a masterstroke if Manly can get him playing with freedom and confidence. Matt Lodge should be coming into his prime as a prop, but the coaching staff need to get him playing consistently.

My biggest concern is that we are releasing decent players on modest contracts in Keppie, Samuela, and Latu, instead of underperforming forwards on bigger deals like Aloia etc. I fail to see what we gain by doing this. Woods should not be extended. We need a running nine to come on after Croker for 15 minutes either side of halftime. Can GCKT be that man? He will be in the top 30 next year.

Schuster needs to own an edge or become a ball playing lock, and Turbo needs to get through a season. Ben Turbo has improved a lot this year as well. There will be plenty of competition in our backline next year. We need another prop who is more mobile to compliment the big boppers.

Over to you Anthony.

We're headed to perth if things keeps going like this, but maybe that's what the owner wants 🤷‍♀️
The owner would probably get a very very big financial reward from doing that BUT

Remember there’s the MWDFC

The Footy Club has voting veto on , colours , where they play.

It’s why if you can’t be invested into the Franchise you just must join and pay your $35 a year to see the Football Club remain strong .

We might surprise next season, but several things will need to go our way. I do like the Jaxson Paulo and Tommy Talau signings. They are two guys who have potential. The Brooks signing may turn out to be a masterstroke if Manly can get him playing with freedom and confidence. Matt Lodge should be coming into his prime as a prop, but the coaching staff need to get him playing consistently.

My biggest concern is that we are releasing decent players on modest contracts in Keppie, Samuela, and Latu, instead of underperforming forwards on bigger deals like Aloia etc. I fail to see what we gain by doing this. Woods should not be extended. We need a running nine to come on after Croker for 15 minutes either side of halftime. Can GCKT be that man? He will be in the top 30 next year.

Schuster needs to own an edge or become a ball playing lock, and Turbo needs to get through a season. Ben Turbo has improved a lot this year as well. There will be plenty of competition in our backline next year. We need another prop who is more mobile to compliment the big boppers.

Over to you Anthony.
Our backs , or future backs , aren’t the issue.

The engine room is on life support.

About as intimidating as my 2 year old grandson ( who has a fair fend and yells NO if you want him to do something), nevertheless that’s about how good they are.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8