Whats up with the NSW Cup team??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Pre season the Manly side looked good on paper & still does. Predicted by all to be a genuine threat but are fighting for the spoon. Has there been major injuries, opposition outstandingly good or are the boys not digging in. Anyone know the truth behind the poor form??:huh:

A lot of them are young, stepping straight up from the 20's. Riccardi in particular is really young, he looks pretty good though.
They've lost a lot more to first grade than they probably thought they would as well.

Give them until late in the season, if they still don't look any good, it might be time to start worrying but I think we've all seen enough of these blokes over the past 2 -3 years to know that they do have the talent.

There's another game on at Brookie tonight (6:00pm) for those who can make it.

To be honest results matter very little to me in the reserves and lower grades. IMO all they should be doing is help players get ready for first grade and if that costs them wins then so be it. Look at clubs like the Eels and Panthers who just about always win or go close to winning all the junior and lower grade comps but they struggle to get their juniors kick on to the big time and they often don't shine unless they move to another club.

Out team was put together at the past minute due to the late decision to field a team.

They are playing against sides who have players that have been in the NSW cup for a few years now and are quite experienced compared to our team.

Lussick and Cunningham are finding it a challenge to play in the comp and need another year at leats in NSW cup to be genuine challengers for first grade.

Masked Eagle said:
To be honest results matter very little to me in the reserves and lower grades. IMO all they should be doing is help players get ready for first grade and if that costs them wins then so be it. Look at clubs like the Eels and Panthers who just about always win or go close to winning all the junior and lower grade comps but they struggle to get their juniors kick on to the big time and they often don't shine unless they move to another club.
A winning culture in reserve grade puts players in the top grade on notice & would expect that factor to keep the NRL players performing better knowing if they slacken off there is a replacement in the wings. A team constantly losing by 30-40 points may not have that effect.
In fairness the top grade is full of energy atm - always healthy to have competition though imo.

MK Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:
A winning culture in reserve grade puts players in the top grade on notice & would expect that factor to keep the NRL players performing better knowing if they slacken off there is a replacement in the wings. A team constantly losing by 30-40 points may not have that effect.

Sounds good in theory but I don't think it works that way and history would suggest winning in reserve grade doesn't mean a helluva lot when it comes to first grade. Put it this way, IMO there is no point playing a halfback for example in the reserve grade if he is never going to be your first grade no 7, you'd be much better playing someone who might be a first grader even if at that point in time the other player would help you win more games.

I'd much prefer it be tougher for our players in the lower grades because the step up isn't as hard then. A lot of players struggle because the gap is too big, but its a lot bigger when you're playing in a side whose doing it easy every week in the reggies only because they are playing against weak opposition. But if your players are used to toughing it out every week regardless of the scoreline then they will find it easier to adapt. Of course its not a sure fire method for success as different players respond differently in each circumstance, but my point being, wins in lower grades don't mean anything to me. What is the point of winning junior grade titles year after year and none of those players kick on to first grade? I think its much better to have the structure in place and having your players actually learn something and get better prepared to play first grade than simply picking up wins in lower grades.

:p
Masked Eagle said:
MK Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:

Sounds good in theory but I don't think it works that way and history would suggest winning in reserve grade doesn't mean a helluva lot when it comes to first grade. Put it this way, IMO there is no point playing a halfback for example in the reserve grade if he is never going to be your first grade no 7, you'd be much better playing someone who might be a first grader even if at that point in time the other player would help you win more games.

I'd much prefer it be tougher for our players in the lower grades because the step up isn't as hard then. A lot of players struggle because the gap is too big, but its a lot bigger when you're playing in a side whose doing it easy every week in the reggies only because they are playing against weak opposition. But if your players are used to toughing it out every week regardless of the scoreline then they will find it easier to adapt. Of course its not a sure fire method for success as different players respond differently in each circumstance, but my point being, wins in lower grades don't mean anything to me. What is the point of winning junior grade titles year after year and none of those players kick on to first grade? I think its much better to have the structure in place and having your players actually learn something and get better prepared to play first grade than simply picking up wins in lower grades.
I get where your going with this - i am still suprised at a team containing Cunningham, Riccardi, Robinson, Harrison, Lussick, Oldfield & now Whare not being more competitive. Another thing Masked Eagle - not buying this dont care about other grade stuff. If we bombed out in NRL (not likely in 2011) & made the GF in reserves & Toyota Cup i'm sure, like myself you would be cheering the boys on big time!!:D

MK Eagle said:
:p
Masked Eagle said:
MK Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:

I get where your going with this - i am still suprised at a team containing Cunningham, Riccardi, Robinson, Harrison, Lussick, Oldfield & now Whare not being more competitive. Another thing Masked Eagle - not buying this dont care about other grade stuff. If we bombed out in NRL (not likely in 2011) & made the GF in reserves & Toyota Cup i'm sure, like myself you would be cheering the boys on big time!!:D

Thats not to say I think getting beaten is a good thing. Just that winning isn't a really good measuring stick to judge if your lower grades are doing a good job.

I cant believe they are playing this week while the NRL is having a bye and Robinson isnt playing for them. They dont want to risk him injury. how many minutes of any footy has he played in the last 2 months ? surely he should be playing for his own form and fitness benefit. his presence would also help the team.

Harrison is playing 5/8. what benefit is that for him ?

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
I cant believe they are playing this week while the NRL is having a bye and Robinson isnt playing for them. They dont want to risk him injury. how many minutes of any footy has he played in the last 2 months ? surely he should be playing for his own form and fitness benefit. his presence would also help the team.

i asked this before .. someone on here told me it`s due to matt cross dropping the ball every set...:dodgy:

jjai said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:

i asked this before .. someone on here told me it`s due to matt cross dropping the ball every set...:dodgy:

I'd say Robinson isn't playing because the NRL team is playing on the Friday night meaning a short turnaround incase he's needed because King doesn't pull up well from Origin.

the lower grades are going ****house, between them they have to games.

As an aside the Sunshine Coast are 0-8 with a Points differential of -270 after Manly left them.

CLIT COMMANDER said:
the lower grades are going ****house, between them they have to games.

As an aside the Sunshine Coast are 0-8 with a Points differential of -270 after Manly left them.

sad.. but i hope they have enought to atleast make 6TH..

1.Oldfield
2.Mcdonald
3.Whare
4.Davey
5.Porter
6.Foran
7.Riccardi
8.Cunningham
9.Seu Seu
10.Cross
11.Harrison
12.Majouli
13.Lussick

14.Paulo
15.Higgins
16. -
17. -

Still a good team, alot of chopping and changing with their combinations would have ruined alot of plans.

We managed to beat The Sharks last night, they played much better than the previous times I've seen them this year. But there is still work to be done.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:

Robinson has at least been playing more minutes than Mauro in the last couple of weeks.

Here are some Bulldogs NSW Cup players names, or players that didn't make their 1st team:-

Trent Cutler
Brad Morrin
Danny Galea (Raiders)
Michael Lett (Dragons)
Micky Paea (Roosters)
Chris Armit (Eels)
Michael Hodgson (Titans)
Ben Roberts (Magpies)
Gary Warburton
Grant Millington
Ryan Tandy was sacked (Storm)
Michael Ennis SOO (Broncos)

This was their first team
Ben Barba
Steve Turner (Storm)
Josh Morris (Dragons)
Jamal Idris
Bryson Goodwin (Raiders)
Kris Keating (Eels)
Trent Hodkinson (Eagles)
Aiden Tolman (Storm)
Josh Reynolds
Sam Kasiano
Frank Pritchard (Panthers)
Andrew Ryan (Eels)
David Stagg (Broncos)

Greg Eastwood (Broncos)
Jake Foster
Corey Payne (Dragons)
Dene Halatau (Tigers)

You can see why we are so different in the standings to them.

You'd say our big name players in Premier League are:-
Seu Seu
Matt Cross

aaaand that just about does it.

I am in the "dont care" about reserve grade results with all due respect.

You could coach a reserve grade team to play like St George just simple hit ups and do kick and chase like robots and probably nearly win the comp. But what would it achieve in player development.

Alternatively you could teach the team how to practice their skills & make a few errors in the hope of unearthing 2 or 3 good players but run 10th. I would much rather that.

Theres no sadder position as a supporter than cheering the team to a reserve grade title & punching the air on Grand Final day...... then remembering the first grade team is off on Mad Sunday in Bali. Leave that for Souths fans.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2