whats ONE thing you would change in our great game?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Get rid of the qld teams out of our comp, let them have their own clubs up there, bring our extinct ones back.

bazeagle said:
go back to the one ref system

Absolutely agree. Having two refs is too confusing because they operate on differing interpretations.

I would change the role of the ref and linesmen and have two refs in the video box. I would suggest that the ref only deals with issues relating to the ball and those contesting the ball, such as in tackles etc. I would suggest the linesmen are in a perfect position to assess issues off the ball, such as behind the scenes behaviour, offside play ten metres back, matters that occur off the ball. That way the ref concentrates only on what is happening with the contest regarding the ball and the linesmen only deal with issues away from the ball. That way the interpretation in all areas becomes more consistent, and the ref doesnt have to be worrying about offside play away from the ball as well as on the ball.

I'd have two video refs because they are less likely to make bloopers if they have to justify a decision that is not agreed on by his partner. Decisions are then more conservative and more likely to be right.

My problem is with the authority of the video ref's. I believe the sole arbitrator should be the ref on the field that was given the job.

I detest the fact, that when a video ref clearly makes a clanger, the ref (who has seen the same replays) can't tell the video ref he is a numb-nut and over-rule him.

Alan said:
My problem is with the authority of the video ref's. I believe the sole arbitrator should be the ref on the field that was given the job.

I detest the fact, that when a video ref clearly makes a clanger, the ref (who has seen the same replays) can't tell the video ref he is a numb-nut and over-rule him.

We need to take on the NFL system of having a viewing screen on the sideline for the on field referee to look at the replay. That way he is looking only at the bit that he had any doubt on.

There should be only three officials just like it was 20 years ago. 1 Referee and 2 touchies.

A punch isn't necessarily time in the bin. Especially in Origin. To quote Jack Gibson (12th Man) 'A bit of blood on your hands never hurt anyone...makes it easier to hang onto the pill'

Ralphie said:
Alan said:

We need to take on the NFL system of having a viewing screen on the sideline for the on field referee to look at the replay. That way he is looking only at the bit that he had any doubt on.

There should be only three officials just like it was 20 years ago. 1 Referee and 2 touchies.

A good screen on the back of a golf cart. One at each end

Alan said:

Alan as has been mentioned before a ref on a field cannot hope to be as accurate with decisions as those watching it on video and for that matter, we the TV audience. To revert back to on field ref decisions would be suicidal to the game that is now under so much visual scrutiny, just as the problem in cricket is.

If we didnt see what we see on TV, your suggestion would have merit. But we do and leaving it to on field refs would lead to consistent suggestions of incompetence and bias of the umpiring system. Just as in cricket, we are stuck now with video evidence, and 90% of the time its accurate, which is far more than we can expect of on field refs.

I suspect on field ref decisions will increasingly seek video support and therefore its in that area we must seek to improve the accuracy. Leave the on field refs to deal with general on field policing. But border line decision making must now be left to competent video analysis lest our game become a travesty.

It my even come a time when many of these decisions are made by computer analysis just as in cricket we now have 'hot spots', 'snick registering', 'no ball decisions' etc. Its coming and we just have to accept technology gives us a more accurate assessment of on field incidents

Long term (8 yrs +) One Club players TOTALLY exempt from salary cap calculations for All purposes combined with the complete outlawing of so called 'back ended contracts' contracts to be formed with CPI Increases built in only.

Bring back the biff too.

Not cheap shots, but grubs like J Reynolds and Ennis deserve to be put in their place now and then.

Likewise when Slater for example, king hit Wolfie last week, they'd think twice if an Ian Roberts or Ronnie Gibbs gave em the reply they deserve.

You don't want open season out there, but likewise I don't want the AFL standard grab and dance melee-rule debacle, or these grubs to be the norm either.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2