What was different ... observations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Paseka is uncoacheable. Not even an off season with new coaches can change his mindset or ability going in the right direction.

Tippytoes and Harper's defence remain terrible and Reuben got better as the game went on.

Scorpio still leading with the head which has a used by date. I hope he is having a big steak meal today to get that lost iron back with the the amount of claret he spilt last night.

Everyone else seemed to improve noticeably.
Brad looked like a Zombie after having a meal...lol.

In saying that I thought a few times that tuipolotu came in we got lucky that roosters didn't execute - not sure if it's him or our defensive structure that worries me on our edges
I like that style tho provided the cover is switched on. But yeah Tui seemed a bit unsure a couple of times and Harper got stood up badly one time.

In saying that I thought a few times that tuipolotu came in we got lucky that roosters didn't execute - not sure if it's him or our defensive structure that worries me on our edges

When a winger has to make a choice of which one of 3 unmarked men running at him, 10m from the try line to tackle ..... you can bet London to old undies .... it ain't his fault.

We got lucky a fair few times last night in defence. There's things to like, but 20 nil at half time didn't reflect where this team at either.

Just like some other on here, I too will be interested to watch if DCE can actually change his ways.

I think getting DCE to play that team game will be the new coaching teams biggest biggest test......

Over many years, many head and assistant coaches, many tweaks to game plans, teams needing different things, from an organising voice, to a steering half, to last year foz going over on the right and showing him he just needed to play more direct, or a few years back when DCE just 100% needed to always be our kicking option on the last.

Yet cherry when put in a Manly jersey at least, has just never seemed willing, interested or able to change what he does and how he does it.

Shoe wasn't out there that long, his kicking game hardly thrilled but in terms of balance of run and pass seemed to play his role and do it well.

I think the team for the first match is pretty settled, with the exception of lock and the reserves.
From what I've seen I'd lean towards Burbo to be the first choice lock. He understands the need to be a link between the forwards and the backs, and will continue to improve. He can also switch to the centres if injury strikes.
I think it's accepted that Jurbo will revert back to his rightful position as a prop and play long minutes. I'd have Keppie as the other starting prop. That leaves the reserves:
Two props: Tent and Sippers for me (I don't like the way Al is a grub and gives away dumb penalties. He should watch Jurbo and learn that you hurt players more with correct tackles than cheap shots).
Utility forward: Condom or Bully. Both can play prop as well as in the backrow.
Utility back: Weekes. He can cover every backline position.

1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Weekes
4. Koula
5. Garrick
6. Schu
7. DCE

Yet to see Weekes play a lot of centre, and the same can be said for Garrick. But as long Reuben is scoring hat tricks or winning points scoring completions on the wing. We can all just be happy he's getting paid a centres wage.

Shoe wasn't out there that long, his kicking game hardly thrilled but in terms of balance of run and pass seemed to play his role and do it well.
Did Schu even make a run? can't recall him playing the ball at all. Not saying he didn't play well, but I hoped he'd use his size and strength a couple of times himself. (may be I just missed it)

I saw a team of fit players enjoying their footy. Difference last year was there were more injuries than fit players towards the end. It was a trial game. I think we get a much better indication of where we are at next week at brooky against the dogs. The dogs have bought well but will need time to jell. If we're a genuine top eight team we will need to beat them well. Looking forward to the game.

1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Weekes
4. Koula
5. Garrick
6. Schu
7. DCE

Yet to see Weekes play a lot of centre, and the same can be said for Garrick. But as long Reuben is scoring hat tricks or winning points scoring completions on the wing. We can all just be happy he's getting paid a centres wage.
Garrick has a few years experience at NRL now, trained all pre-season at centre, as well as all his juniors... he will most likely spend a lot of time there this year, and moving forward
Weekes, on the other hand, has virtually no NRL experience even in his preferred position, has not been at centre this whole pre-season, and never played there ever in his juniors. No way he's playing centre at this stage

The defensive structures are incomparable as even in a trial the line speed and ruck control was an improvement and when the outside shot up to close down the attack it was not 1 man shooting up and all the players looked calm and worked as a unit....not lost individuals...
Attack in actual fact looked simple, with players simply running harder from depth and far more direct in numbers and not just forcing pushed passes which leads to sideways play and errors.
The dummy half service was FAR slicker with distribution bringing players over the advantage line with Gordon spearing through the middle creating panic.....I noted when he went off the attack went clunky and Fulton is NOT a good option at 9 imo.

I saw a team of fit players enjoying their footy. Difference last year was there were more injuries than fit players towards the end. It was a trial game. I think we get a much better indication of where we are at next week at brooky against the dogs. The dogs have bought well but will need time to jell. If we're a genuine top eight team we will need to beat them well. Looking forward to the game.
Dogs have a mighty pack, and a very sharp 9 and 6. Just like our players seem invigorated with a new coach, so too the Dogs players. They will be a tough team this year I reckon

I'm thinking the backline may end up looking this way.
1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Garrick
4. Koula
5. Weekes
6. Schu
7. DCE
Yeah I like that mate. Someone was talking about lack of depth before. If Harper, Parker, Tuipolotu, Vaega and Toby are our depth I reckon we are going g pretty ****ing good for once.

GCKT made a huge impact, giving us a point of attack from dummy and bringing the forwards onto the ball, and the edge forwards were outstanding, but I still reckon we're short of a dominant prop or two. That's the weakness in our pack that other teams will exploit.

I also worry that Croker is just not a natural dummy half, and that DCE is simply unable to play structured football, so throwing those two into the mix might actually end up being the two steps back to the one step forward we seem to have taken.

Really happy with the wins though. For all the talk about "just a trial" and trying combinations, it's really nice not losing. That (ie, winning a game of footy) was the major difference for me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6