What "The Man" does for "his people"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader

Council funds spent on MundineBy Sue Dunlevy
April 02, 2007 12:00am
AN ABORIGINAL land council responsible for protecting Aboriginal culture and housing its people has instead spent between $60,000 and $80,000 sponsoring millionaire boxer Anthony Mundine.

The Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council in Sydney's Redfern paid Mundine $20,000 sponsorship each time he took part in a world title fight in the last three years.

"I think the members approved $20,000 per fight for three to four fights," the council's chairman Rob Welsh said.

"The expenditure was approved by a majority vote of the council's members to promote the land rights movement.

"They were world title fights and our banner was behind him when he marched out.

"Land council members were also given tickets to attend the fights.

"Choc (Mundine) and his family are all members of the land council."

Mr Welsh said the sponsorship deal had ceased because they were trying to put money back into their members.

The council receives $115,000 funding each year from the state land council and was spending almost one fifth of that amount sponsoring Mundine.

The land council, which covers an area from Barrenjoey Head near Palm Beach north of Sydney to La Perouse in the south, raises some of its own money in addition to the public grant.

However, it has been telling members via its website that there is a long waiting list for the Aboriginal housing it provides.

The council's website states its job is to protect Aboriginal culture and heritage in its area and that it also has a function to provide housing.

It represents some of the most disadvantaged Aboriginal people in Sydney.

Mr Welsh said the council had got more than its money's worth out of sponsoring Mundine.

The boxer had rounded up footballers and staged fundraisers to help an Aboriginal child with leukaemia and travelled out to rural Australia to encourage Aboriginal children into sport.

He had also donated goods to Aboriginal fundraisers, Mr Welsh said.

Mundine had continued to promote the land council even after its funding had ceased, he said.

The council had not sponsored Mundine during his recent clash with Sam Soliman but the council's banner was still displayed at the venue, he said.

The council's financial management was investigated in 2003 and some members of the Aboriginal community said they did not believe the sponsorship was the best use of the council's limited resources.

hmmmmmmmmm! I'm sure someone like yourself can point out what he really stands for.

Is there such a thing as 100% honest intentions or deep down is everyone really just thinking about their hip pocket.

hmmmmmmmmm! I'm sure someone like yourself can point out what he really stands for.

How much would Coke have paid to have a similar banner behind him at his fights which have been the highest rating boxing matches in Australia in several decades?

I doubt Coke would pay a cent to have any association with that "man"

"How much would Coke have paid to have a similar banner behind him at his fights which have been the highest rating boxing matches in Australia in several decades?"

Probably a **** load more than $20K, so it begs the question why bother even charging the Land Council what in commercial terms is just a nominal amount. If he is serious about helping the cause and providing exposure for his people, why not do it for free and let them put the $20K to better use. Surely he is not that hard up that he needed the money when he was getting a 7 figure pay day for the last couple of fights, if he was I'm sure he'd be on the phone to Coke in a flash about that banner space.

It's on the nose and I'm sure a bit of digging would reveal something smelly.

I think it is on the nose but don't know about smelly C&C, but it sures puts up some questions. I agree 100% - why is a millionaire taking sponsorship from a group he professes to support?

How much did the banner cost to produce?

Did the group insist on him taking it because they were in their usual June dump (which ALL government departments do) and this was a great way to show value for the money?

Did he donate it back to the group to wash it clean of the ridiculous red tape that comes with government funding?

It is par for the course for our redneck bogan to think the worst, shoot first and not ask questions later.

What is more concerning is the chairman saying "I think it was something like ......."

So much for fiduciary duties.

I'd like the gig of producing banners for the Land Council than, if they are willing to part with $20K a throw. I'd also be very surprised if they were party to the "use it or lose it" mentality that affects govt departments, they operate on grants not budgets. Even so, if they need to get rid of money come June than you'd have to raise serious questions about their commitment to the cause if the best they can come up with is sponsoring a banner at a Mundine fight, I'm sure that they'd have no problem finding more worthwhile and tangible areas to spend it on.

I was just stirring the pot, but it does seem strange that he would accept money that could be put to so much better use on causes that he claims to be so passionate about. Why even put yourself in this sort of position. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about it, and whether he was aware of the details of the deal and whether he had any part in the negotiations. Let's hope if he did donate it back that it was done above the table.

C & C i'll give an A for effort in attempting to explain the obvious to Mata.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4