What is going on in Schusters head?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He thinks like most 19 year olds, full of arrogance care free. Yes there's things he needs to improve but most of us here would have loved to have such talent at 19..or 20 or whatever he is...

He get better put it in the kit bag, he simply needs to work on pushing through the line with footwork and offload. His defence is very good.
Young Hamole was not great yesterday lumbered into line not sure if he had some niggles, I assume he drops back to bench with siro back next week.

He was a kid when he was moved into the halves and young footballers do what is asked of them. Lots of development coaches were scratching their heads with the move because it was obvious to most that he was carrying the frame of an edge forward. Just because he likes the position, doesn’t mean it’s his best position. How many wingers want to play fullback?!
The best thing development coaches can do for their players is give them much needed guidance and experience in the position they are most likely to excel in later in their professional careers. It’s just my opinion, but I think Josh would have benefited from 4-5 years of development in the position he is currently playing for us. I don’t see him as a half.
No problemo,we all see it differently.I see him as a quality option in the backrow but has more skills that would be utilized more at 6 and would not be refined if he stayed in backrow.
Can always move into forwards later as loses a step of pace.Anyhow all views are valid.

I have no doubt Des will be able to iron those things out of his game. He's so young - only turned 20 a few days ago. I think it's just a maturity thing - some stuff that he could pull off in the junior grades he can't in first grade (just yet). With time he'll become more composed and stop doing dumb things

He was a kid when he was moved into the halves and young footballers do what is asked of them. Lots of development coaches were scratching their heads with the move because it was obvious to most that he was carrying the frame of an edge forward. Just because he likes the position, doesn’t mean it’s his best position. How many wingers want to play fullback?!
The best thing development coaches can do for their players is give them much needed guidance and experience in the position they are most likely to excel in later in their professional careers. It’s just my opinion, but I think Josh would have benefited from 4-5 years of development in the position he is currently playing for us. I don’t see him as a half.

Sorry Snake but I think he was put into the halves, because of his natural talent as a ball player. It happened around the U16s stage and at times he was still used in the forwards even in U18s in rep sides.

Forget the size, just think in terms of his skill set. Far too extensive to be wasted in grunt work where he will have far fewer opportunities to use his natural abilities which I would suggest may become comparable to Cliff Lyons with a touch of Wally Lewis. In the forwards, he saps his energy with defensive and yard making requirements, roles better suited to those not requiring so much clever ball playing.

He's got a lot to learn but I suspect he is already one of the cleverest forwards in the game. In a ball playing role he would be even more lethal but those opportunities are less likely to shine in the forwards.

I think there is a tendency to stereotype players because of size. The adaptation of wingers to not only be tall and fast but big has become increasingly the norm. Yet some of the best forwards are quite small and stocky, compared to some backs. Cleal and Meninga were lethal as centres and both were bigger than Schuster even despite being in an earlier age when players were on average lighter. And yes I know Cleal played in the forwards also, but his potency in the centres made him valuable in that position. Miski was 100 kgs as a winger. Size is important, but the skill range is just as important, and utilising those skills is more important than how big he is. I think Des knows this about Josh and that's why he keeps saying he's a natural 6.

Just as an aside Saab is 10 Kgs, Tom Trbojevic is 102 kgs while Schuster is listed as 106 kgs. Should Saab and Turbo be in the forwards?

Last edited:
sure that Schuster still played some back row in the junior grades and still excelled there . Still thought that he would be more suited in the back row even though he debuted as a 6 at the end of last season . With the doubt on Foz and Walker at season "s start , understandable that he should be considered in the 6 role but pleased that he has acquitted himself very well in the back row now despite some wrong options , he"ll progress out of those fairly soon . Plays the 80 , seems quite durable , tough enough, solid defence with that X factor , fortunate to have him and again very ideally a very long termer in Manly colours .

Josh has so much natural skill and confidence that he goes in for the kill every play

The moral of the story
Experience at NRL level will Enhance his Excellence

He’s a kid. First year with the big boys. Would have to be getting a bit tired with the workload he is carrying and definitely not shrinking every week.
Watch the excitement of the Panthers players chancing their hands every week and winning. A few years back they were doing the same thing, making mistakes, and learning.
He’s at an age where many a young man thinks they’re so invincible that they crash their cars into trees and never see 21.
I’m sure Des has his development well in hand.

He has potential to turn into a rocks or diamonds type of player (in the SJ or Benji mould), hopefully Des gets consistency out of him.

sure that Schuster still played some back row in the junior grades and still excelled there . Still thought that he would be more suited in the back row even though he debuted as a 6 at the end of last season . With the doubt on Foz and Walker at season "s start , understandable that he should be considered in the 6 role but pleased that he has acquitted himself very well in the back row now despite some wrong options , he"ll progress out of those fairly soon . Plays the 80 , seems quite durable , tough enough, solid defence with that X factor , fortunate to have him and again very ideally a very long termer in Manly colours .

Actually he wasnt as effective in the forwards. In one of the U18 rep games he was put in the forwards and barely sighted. He was replaced soon after half time. The NSW team lost that match

He has some mistakes in his game but most of the young players do. I think with experience he'll learn when to use the flashy stuff.
Schuster reminds me a little of Feleti Mateo. Both big bodies with playmaking ability who can play in the second row and in the halves.
Hopefully Josh has a better work ethic and fulfills his full potential to become the superstar he is capable of becoming.

I agree mate, but at the same time, he's young, and you don't want to put clamps on someone's who major benefit is X-Factor.

It's such a tough one. I completely agree, but thre last thing I want from him, is to play within himself.

What I will say, is he isn't losing us games atm, but his X-factor and star quality plays are certainly winning some.
THIS

You know Harry. I recall a radio announcer saying almost the same thing about Cliff Lyons when Manly were struggling and some of his plays were not coming off, especially with his passes in the early 90s, and that was when he was much older. He castigated Lyons and virtually suggested he was not good enough.

What Josh does is quite special and to try to change his style would be a serious mistake. He's one of those special X Factor players who make things happen. He just needs to refine it and other players need to be ready for it.. He's 19 and he's going to make mistakes, but like with Lyons, other players need to be prepared for his plays.

Despite the flaws at times with his flick passes, he is easily the best forward for setting up plays, and has set up several tries already. Not bad for a player who has to do all the grunt work, defence etc, stay on the field for an entire game and still set up some plays that others cant do.

This guy will end up being as important in his role as Turbo is with his role.
Well said. The guy is a natural talent - should be nurtured and encouraged.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4