What is going on in Schusters head?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There is little doubt the guy is a solid player, and I think we can see that Des considers him to be a ball playing back rower. But he has thrown several stupid "no look" or even no thought passes the last few weeks, has taken some horrible options, and he doesn't seem to consider it a problem because he continues to do it.

There was a period in the second half after his third or fourth rubbish ball that he was wrapped up and went for another miracle offload - what is wrong with passing along the backline, or tucking the bloody thing under your wing and making some straight forward meters.

Not every play has to be scored from

There is little doubt the guy is a solid player, and I think we can see that Des considers him to be a ball playing back rower. But he has thrown several stupid "no look" or even no thought passes the last few weeks, has taken some horrible options, and he doesn't seem to consider it a problem because he continues to do it.

There was a period in the second half after his third or fourth rubbish ball that he was wrapped up and went for another miracle offload - what is wrong with passing along the backline, or tucking the bloody thing under your wing and making some straight forward meters.

I started a thread on this earlier in the season. Be prepared to get smashed on here by most for pointing that out :)

Yeah, his need to score from every play has been evident since his debut. I'm okay with some of them but he needs to be more patient/selective, if he ever wants the 6 under Des.

I agree mate, but at the same time, he's young, and you don't want to put clamps on someone's who major benefit is X-Factor.

It's such a tough one. I completely agree, but thre last thing I want from him, is to play within himself.

What I will say, is he isn't losing us games atm, but his X-factor and star quality plays are certainly winning some.

Games like today always happen with young guys. To me, he looks a bit tired, which is perhaps not surprising given he played only 65 mins last year and the 8 games on the trot this year have been in the second row and involving a roller-coaster of emotions. He has also had a much higher workload than he has ever been used to.

People are absolutely right to get stuck into him on the no look pass today, but this year is about development so let's see how he bounces back.

He's young and talented and sometimes takes the wrong option. But he'll keep learning and keep getting better and better. He calmed down enough at the back end of the game to have good involvement in a couple of the tries, once with a very nice run and then again with a great cut-out pass from dummy half. Joey Johns wasn't the world's best decision-maker either when he was starting out either (and then there were his questionable decisions off the field as well).

Ye no I agree in the fact he had a shocker today. He's provided that x-factor quality for us in other games, no doubt, but today he looked flat and his head was just not in it. He will definitely learn from this and I've heard from his interviews and stuff that he's his own harshest critic. So he will know he had a shocker today and he will turn it around.

I can tell you why...

It's the reason so many coaches have been critical of Manly's use of him in the lower grades. He is a back rower in FG every day of the week. Yet, because of his unbelievable skill and freakish talents, he has been unfairly pushed into the halves at the expense of his long-term progress. Right now we are seeing what many astute judges thought would happen. He is a backrower playing with the mindset of a half. Old habits die hard and he has spent the last 3-4 years throwing caution to the wind against boys...now he is playing against men and the tough stuff (which he is certainly capable of) is taking a backseat to the flash that has been his game in the junior ranks.

I feel a little for Josh because he is position due to some questionable development decisions that maybe have not been in his best interests.

I can tell you why...

It's the reason so many coaches have been critical of Manly's use of him in the lower grades. He is a back rower in FG every day of the week. Yet, because of his unbelievable skill and freakish talents, he has been unfairly pushed into the halves at the expense of his long-term progress. Right now we are seeing what many astute judges thought would happen. He is a backrower playing with the mindset of a half. Old habits die hard and he has spent the last 3-4 years throwing caution to the wind against boys...now he is playing against men and the tough stuff (which he is certainly capable of) is taking a backseat to the flash that has been his game in the junior ranks.

I feel a little for Josh because he is position due to some questionable development decisions that maybe have not been in his best interests.
Not sure where you get unfairly pushed into the halves...pretty sure he has said in the past that he wants to be in the halves and not the forwards.He is only in the second row due to injuries,he is a half and is playing as you would expect a half to play when moved into the forwards.
He has shown enough willingness to do the tough stuff and as you would expect from a young playmaker being asked to play closer in,he is probably trying to do a little too much,it is all part of the learning curve.

Firstly - Josh could easily star at 5/8....the truth to the matter is not always trying to kill the prey with the first spear....
As a youngster, does not comprehend how to break down the opposition patiently.
Schu has every skill - but lacks patience...he is a star back rower, but anyone who thinks he can't deliver as a 5/8 is short sighted IMO....the bloke is an instinctive footballer with every abilty number 1 - position 2nd....

I agree mate, but at the same time, he's young, and you don't want to put clamps on someone's who major benefit is X-Factor.

It's such a tough one. I completely agree, but thre last thing I want from him, is to play within himself.

What I will say, is he isn't losing us games atm, but his X-factor and star quality plays are certainly winning some.
That’s why he’s best suited to second row at the moment and maybe for the foreseeable future.No pressure to put on the play or control a whole set,can pop up any time.Not sure how well placed the team would be if he was playing 5/8 from the first round(not that they’re flying anyway)

Josh made a few blues today with the ball and he is learning so much each week about what to do? and What to avoid?

He was quiet in the scheme of things today as most of our attack was down our right side today.

Very much a work in progress. Has so much to learn and grow.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8