What Crusher needs to tell Lyon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rexx

Reserve Grader
Lyon is cited as wanting to play again with players like Hindmarsh and Cayliss.
The feeling is NOT mutual.
Of course now knowing Parra is actively chasing him it would be a career limiting move for either of them to be too forthright now.

Maybe Lyon doesn't know what they said in the media about him. Here's extracts of a couple of articles indicating Hindmarsh's and Cayliss' feelings about the prospect of him returning.

If he speaks to them now he's likely to get b/sh*t responses giving the corporate line. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the very players he says he wants to play with don't really want to play with him, don't trust him and think they're better off without him.

CAYLISS
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/417227/625264

Lyon an Eel again?

Nov 7, 2005

Jamie Lyon has expressed his desire to return to Parramatta, but the NRL club is unlikely to roll out the red carpet for the former Kangaroo.

Lyon caused a sensation by walking out on the Eels after the first match of the 2004 season, citing a dislike for city life amid rumours he had fallen out with coach Brian Smith.

The 23-year-old's shock departure rocked the club and the Eels struggled in his absence, finishing the year in 12th place.

However Lyon, who was named English Super League's best player after guiding English club St Helens to the minor premiership, has expressed a desire to return to the Eels and make amends.

"If Parramatta will have me back, I'd love to play with them again," a homesick Lyon told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I must admit I miss playing with blokes like Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless."

But Cayless said there was little chance of the former Kangaroo again playing in the blue and gold following the acrimony over his departure.

"I think it's all just talk and I don't believe it really will happen," Cayless said on Monday.

"He made a decision and a lot of people were pretty upset with the way he did it.

"It was tough when Jamie left, he left us in the lurch and we struggled that season.

"That was the worst thing about it, he left at a time when we really needed him, we needed senior players.

"He never really said exactly why he did leave, I don't know what happened there.

"Obviously it was very disappointing but that's all in the past and there's no use holding any grudges.

"Whether he actually believes he'll come back to Parramatta, I'll believe it when it happens.

"If it happens, it happens, but if it doesn't I don't think we will be any worse off."

Despite the bitter split, Lyon, who scored 24 tries for the Saints last season, still holds a contract with Parramatta which expires at the end of next season.

The Eels, who offloaded exciting outside back Willie Tonga to the Bulldogs just prior to Lyon's departure, now have the centre position well covered following the addition of Australian three-quarter Timana Tahu to the squad last year, as well as the emergence of exciting rookie Ben Smith.

Asked today if there was any chance of Lyon rejoining the side, Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said: "I have no comment to make except to say I was pleased to hear Jamie's comments in regard to him not having any problems with Brian Smith."

Cayless, who hasn't spoken to Lyon since he left, said his exit wasn't the only reason the Eels performed badly in 2004.

"You can't just blame Jamie, it's not one player," he said.

"We had a lot of injuries and we didn't have the depth to cover the injuries we had.

"We don't really talk about it too much, it was very tough. We were copping it from everywhere in the media, our fans really gave it to us.

"It just made the players stronger.

"The thing is, we have a couple of good centres at the moment.

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. That's what happened and we really found out what everyone was about."

HINDMARSH
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18644871-5001023,00.html

Eels Test forward Nathan Hindmarsh was cautious about a possible Lyon comeback.

"To tell you the truth, I wasn't too happy with the way he handled it (in 2004)," Hindmarsh said.

"If he (walked out) again, I'd be really p..... off.

In Lyon's best interests, Crusher needs to tell him (if he hasn't already) what the Parra players he cited said about him in the media.

If Lyon still wants to go, & if Parra still want him, then Manly's better off without him & Lyon & Parra deserve what they get.

Th e greater the misery in the parra ranks the better most people feel about life in general, me included. You have made my Friday Rexx.

I'm pretty sure he'd know about them. The article in the papers says that Manly are still in with a shot. Put it this way - if he hasn't signed by June 30 with the Eels, I'd be VERY confident he'd be coming to us, unless the Dragons throw a truckload of money at him after Barrett and Gaz go.

On Fox Sports the Main Game last night Dean Ritchie and Steve Mascord saud the Parra players privately were not happy with him returning. Look at it this way if he does go back it could cause an internal rift which will stuff the Eels for at least a year or 2.

Could be a Win Win situation for us.

On Fox Sports the Main Game last night Dean Ritchie and Steve Mascord saud the Parra players privately were not happy with him returning. Look at it this way if he does go back it could cause an internal rift which will stuff the Eels for at least a year or 2.

Could be a Win Win situation for us.

Good point. An alternative is to say nothing and to sit back and enjoy the bloodspill.

Lyon has a lot of enemies in Parra & little trust from die-hard supporters. At the first sign of trouble or poor form, the knives would be out, finely sharpened. Hardly the best environment for producing your best, let alone enjoying yourself. Another return to Wee Waa?

Sterlo is typical of the feeling in Parra territory:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19017961-23214,00.html
4 May, 2006

Only last weekend, Eels great Peter Sterling claimed he had washed his hands of Lyon.

Speaking to The Sunday Telegraph, Sterling said: "I know he went back to Wee Waa, but if you were homesick I don't think you end up in the north of England and then ultimately back in the NRL competition.

"I think there's a principle involved and the principle that I have is that I would prefer not to see him in blue and gold colours after what he did to the club."

The story that did the rounds about Smith (or the club) making him play instead of going with his girl to get medical health and then subsequently having a miscarriage would make sense.

What he needs to know is the depth of hatred that fans carry towards him (without knowing the full story.) Smith moving on is one thing but there are other haters in the club!!

What crusher needsto tell lyon - He needs to tell lyon that if he wants to **** off to parramatta then **** off to parramatta... i for one don't give a **** either way!!

If he comes over then great we have a player in our team that probably ranks as one of the 10 best players in the game right now.. good stuff

If he doesn't who really gives a flying ****... i'd rather spend the money in the forwards and we are going A Ok without him... I'd rather the club have blokes in the team that are loyal and want to play for Manly rather then someone who at the drop of a hat could very well piss off back to the country and waste our hard earned cash!

Didn't his girfreind have a child whilst he was in the UK and he came home to be at the birth?

What I don't get is Lyon opening up a possible return to Parra while Smith was still there. Knew he was going? Trying to up his value by getting Parra to make a bid? Wanting to waste Parra's time out of spite? Wanting Parra fans to want him before he turns them down? Maybe just doing an Orford? Good press, enjoy the spotlight, maybe?

My best guess is he's just saying whatever his agent tells him to say to help in negotiating.

If our forwards are covered & Burns stays, would love to have him. Otherwise we move on.

The story that did the rounds about Smith (or the club) making him play instead of going with his girl to get medical health and then subsequently having a miscarriage would make sense.

What he needs to know is the depth of hatred that fans carry towards him (without knowing the full story.) Smith moving on is one thing but there are other haters in the club!!

Even if you take Manly (& 12 other clubs & Union & UK) out of the equation for a minute. St George needs him more than Parra, so would pay more. Looks like they'll be heavily cashed up with Barrett gone & Gasnier likely to go. Lyon & his manager would be idiots to miss the bidding frenzy if he delays.

Shouldn't be hard for Crusher to talk him out of waiting till 30/6.

The dragons are up against it this year. All their young earn nothings are looking like getting big bucks and they just wont fit them all under the salary cap. They wont be the same team next year and they wont have all that much money for lyon's ect. Maybe 1 but I can't see them replacing Gas, Barret ect with the same quality of player.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4