What a waste of time and money

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
BRITISH scientists say they have found the formula for a perfect bacon butty, after 1000 hours and 700 variations of the beloved sandwich.

The experts from Leeds University's Department of Food Science say the secret is in the crispiness of the bacon rashers, the BBC online reported.

Four researchers tried different types and cuts of bacon, cooking techniques, types of oil and a range of cooking times at different temperatures.

A shortlist was then tested with computers to measure the texture of the butties and 50 volunteers also judged each sarnie.

The scientists found that two or three back bacon rashers should be cooked under a preheated oven grill for seven minutes at about 240C.

The bacon should then be placed between two slices of farmhouse bread, 1cm to 2cm thick.

"We often think it's the taste and smell of bacon that consumers find most attractive but our research proves that texture and the crunching sound is just as, if not more, important, said lead researcher Graham Clayton.

The formula is: N = C + (fb (cm) . fb (tc))+ fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

The old chemistry department I used to work in was amalgamated for a while with the department of Food Science or "Catering School" as we called them. While they did do some worthwhile research on things like ways to make get more nutrition out of staple crops in third world countries, geez they did some ridiculous research.

I remember one project they had that ran for about 15 years on the tensile strength of corn flakes and other cereals. Who cares how easily your corn flakes snap!! And they hadn't even published any results after all those years of experiments. The topper though was that none of the cereal companies had expressed any interest in the research, yet they kept doing it!! So even if they found something useful, the companies didn't give a crap!!

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

What used to get up our noses was that there were projects in the uni on things like new chemotherapy drugs for cancer treatment, or solar power etc, basically very worthwile things, and they were underfunded whilst these oxygen thieves were funded for studying the breaking of corn flakes!! Oh well, they got the arse in the end so that made us all feel better.

The best thesis topic I have heard of is a study of whether or not Jesus was gay. About $70k of your tax payers dollars at work....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4