Were they on-side tonight?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Would be good to hear from someone who was at the game. Were Saints on side tonight or are they just that good and very fit? Did refs keep a good 10 metres?

They weren't and that's what you get when you have Wayne Bennett as coach. The referees referee the games to please him because he is the almighty Wayne Bennett. That's what Newcastle are buying for next year - latitude and decisions to go their way. Before Bennett came to the dragons they were the most penalised team in the NRL , now they are one of the least penalised. They get every 50 50 call. Tonights first try was a knock on, foot into touch try last years GF, Dean youngs knock on into a roosters player try in last years GF, Spazniers bounce ball try against Manly last year. The Bulldogs disallowed try for an obstruction that wasnt an obstruction against the dragons at Kogarah last year. Darius Boyds Try against the titans this year when the titans fullback Will Zillman was given no chance to get to the ball when the referee got in his way, the list goes on and on since Bennett has been there. How many controversial decisions have gone against them? I can't think of any. There was controversy at the end of the tigers dragons GF qualifier last year. The tigers were ripped off. I'm not saying we lost tonight because of this it's been on my mind for a while. His (Bennett's) status in the game influences decisions on the field i have no doubt about that. Referees are loathe to be criticized by Bennett because they think everyone will take anything Bennett says as gospel because he is the messiah.

Was at this game and blatantly off side most of the match. Trust me they wont ever a Grand Final ever unless its against Parra (and no Melb scum)

I thought watching it on TV that they must have been about 5 mtrs off side all game.

Otherwise they can all run 100 mtrs in 3 seconds flat and win every gold medal in the olymoics and commonwealth games.

eagle-rock08 said:
I thought watching it on TV that they must have been about 5 mtrs off side all game.

Otherwise they can all run 100 mtrs in 3 seconds flat and win every gold medal in the olymoics and commonwealth games.

For what we could see at the game, their defense in their 10 metres is the best I have seen from any team, including the dragons themselves, all season. It reminded me a lot of the NSW defense in Origin 1. Difference was that Queensland found holes where the non-dragons players were. We couldn't find holes anywhere.

Jono said:
eagle-rock08 said:

For what we could see at the game, their defense in their 10 metres is the best I have seen from any team, including the dragons themselves, all season. It reminded me a lot of the NSW defense in Origin 1. Difference was that Queensland found holes where the non-dragons players were. We couldn't find holes anywhere.
Was their defence that good?? or was our attacking options that ****?? . i seen holes in their defence when we were attacking their line especially in that last 10minutes of the 1st half..we just didnt exploit them, always pushing the ball wide ,instead maybe once or twice turning the ball back inside instead..

I seen Jono & Wolfpack there lol.. cant believe how small the push it up flag is in real life compared to when its on TV .. :p

They probably weren't but they got away with it because they doing it unison. Refs ping the easy ones when one or two blokes are standing way out in front. When your a line you get away with it. When we defend at our best we do the same thing. Every team is aiming to do the same thing.

Speaking about our defence. I thought our kick chase was pretty ordinary last night. They made way too many metres on kick returns and Darius Boyd carved us up because we didn't have a straight line.

I can tell you for a fact that they were almost never onside. Soward was the worst offender, but since he defends wide he wasn't called on it. They were consistently offside by up to 4 meters, especially in the middle 40m zone, when they got into their own end they seemed to tighten up, as if to avoid giving away penalty's in attacking position.

Not that it mattered as it seems they couldn't be penalized anyway.

DSM5 said:
Well Rusty, it must be good coaching. Why don't we do it?

That's an easy one. The NRL don't like Des and we would be penalised straight away. Wayne Bennett coached teams have always (since super league) been able to do what they please.

The game was ref'd in a manner that suits St George. Short 10 metres and more time to lie on players in the ruck. Gave them the slow defensive game they love.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6