Weekes - need's Blacktown ASAP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
After reading through the later part of this thread, one has to think a crazy thought, maybe Des just maybe knew something after all when he resisted the call, no sorry the avalanch of wisdom to play the youngsters.
Maybe just maybe he was right all along, they just not ready before he picked them.

I agree Weekes needs more time.
So keeping that in mind,will Seibold be cut a bit of slack for not giving the likes of GCKT a run?I agree,a lot of these young players aren’t ready

We are such a schizophrenic supporter group

This kids a superstar, needs to be in FG

Why isn’t he in FG

Why is he in FG?

He needs to be in lower grades

Take your medicine people
To be fair, these calls are mostly reactive to the sh*t standards that our first choice first graders have set over many, many seasons…

Thank goodness we have a “premiership-winning roster” eh?

Why isn’t he in FG

Why is he in FG?

I think its fair to say Weekes showed all the skills to "suggest" he would be a quality player when he got his NRL opportunities.
Still a youngster so don't want to burn him just yet, but has dissappointed now on a few occasions he has had the chance to shine.
In truth for now, Weekes needs a spell back in Blacktown, maybe a decent spell as needs to work on that defence and also his timing in attack is off, maybe confidence.
Personally made the call he could be a star player, based on what he had shown in lower grades and still has time to excel....but what he has shown in the games he played is way off the mark and hoping he does not turn out to be 1 of those gun youngsters who couldn't cut the next level.

Last edited:
I think its fair to say Weekes showed all the skills to "suggest" he would be a quality player when he got his NRL opportunities.
Still a youngster so don't want to burn him just yet, but has dissappointed now on a few occasions he had had the chance to shine.
In truth for now, Weekes needs a spell back in Blacktown, maybe a decent spell as needs to work on that defence and also his timing in attack is off, maybe confidence.
Personally made the call he could be a star player, based on what he had shown in lower grades and still has time to excel....but what he has shown in the games he played is way off the mark and hoping he does not turn out to be 1 of those gun youngsters who couldn't cut the next level.
I think the point you made about his timing in defence is pertinent. There was one sweeping block play we did about 20m out and he missed his cue entirely sweeping around behind the lead runner. Schuster went to pass it to him and he simply wasn't there. Schu had to hold the pass up and then float it across to make sure Weekes had enough time to run there. It was one small example of his timing being out. Further to that, in the second half when we started to make serious ground through the middle (big runs by Paseka, Keppie, Croker etc), he should have been punching through the middle on the back of those runs and a broken, retreating defensive line and making incisive metres and line breaks. Instead he was nowhere to be seen. That's the timing he still lacks - knowing where to be and when to be there.

Why isn’t he in FG

Why is he in FG?

Agree! When we win, we are ready to shake the Premiership and when we lose, we are ready for the spoon and most of our roster should be sacked. The reality is the opposition has a say in how we play, and chances are, if we win, some players are going to look pretty good and if we lose, some players probably looked bad. That goes for any side.

When you beat the good sides consistently, is when you are in the running for the premiership. We haven’t shown that in years. We lack consistency. The sooner some of us accept that, the sooner we can get off the merry go round that you point out!

I think the point you made about his timing in defence is pertinent. There was one sweeping block play we did about 20m out and he missed his cue entirely sweeping around behind the lead runner. Schuster went to pass it to him and he simply wasn't there. Schu had to hold the pass up and then float it across to make sure Weekes had enough time to run there. It was one small example of his timing being out. Further to that, in the second half when we started to make serious ground through the middle (big runs by Paseka, Keppie, Croker etc), he should have coming through the middle on the back of those runs and a broken, retreating defensive line and making incisive metres and line breaks. Instead he was nowhere to be seen. That's the timing he still lacks - knowing where to be and when to be there.
Surely they are simple things that are drilled into the kid at training if you are gonna play him in such an important position…
He looked beaten for high balls before he even contested them and he was absolutely gassed in the second half as shown by his inability to even put a hand on Young - it was a tired effort when he was in good field position to at least make Young earn it…
It sucks cause I still reckon the kid has a future but you cannot be picking him at FB on that effort

I think the point you made about his timing in defence is pertinent. There was one sweeping block play we did about 20m out and he missed his cue entirely sweeping around behind the lead runner. Schuster went to pass it to him and he simply wasn't there. Schu had to hold the pass up and then float it across to make sure Weekes had enough time to run there. It was one small example of his timing being out. Further to that, in the second half when we started to make serious ground through the middle (big runs by Paseka, Keppie, Croker etc), he should have been punching through the middle on the back of those runs and a broken, retreating defensive line and making incisive metres and line breaks. Instead he was nowhere to be seen. That's the timing he still lacks - knowing where to be and when to be there.
You my friend are spot on - right down to the exact moments of reference.

Surely they are simple things that are drilled into the kid at training if you are gonna play him in such an important position…
He looked beaten for high balls before he even contested them and he was absolutely gassed in the second half as shown by his inability to even put a hand on Young - it was a tired effort when he was in good field position to at least make Young earn it…
It sucks cause I still reckon the kid has a future but you cannot be picking him at FB on that effort
He needs more time to develop I guess. He's had good moments but yeah, he's not a FG fullback at the moment.

Nothing to see here ,Silvertails standard overhyped up junior potential superstar.
Ive never seen anything from Weekes that makes me think he gets a crack at FB over Garrick.
Bad man management (as per usual).
yep, the romance is well and truly over with Weeks, all's that's left is a painful divorce..

He was good coming off the bench as #14 & should have continued doing that.

I think the confidence knock when he started at 5/8th plus the lack of game time has affected his fitness, so yesterday won’t have done his confidence much good.

I agree a few weeks at BWSE to rebuild confidence & match fitness is the go.

yeah, no sweeping attacking plays whatsoever, Weeks looked gassed and was struggling to keep up with what Schuster was doing. In truth, we never really earned the right to make those plays anyway with no lead hit ups, against a well set defence line.

I understand that. Don’t get me wrong I am a huge Saab fan but he missed several one on one tackles yesterday. I agree there were significant problems on the inside however the arm grab on ponga that led to a try was very weak. The body language from Saab after that was from someone that has ****ed up.
Exactly. Even when he scored the intercept, they still went for the lofted pass, as Saab, is well known for jamming in. The fox was doing it a lot last year and getting caught out even with his speed. He still jams sometimes, but it is not a given anymore. Thats why he got his Blues spot back imo.
Saab needs to be more trusting in Koula. Otherwise, it'll be on every teams tip sheet. Run at Koula, drag Saab in. In saying that Koula needs to get up in the face of the opposition, so Saab can have the confidence in him.(except when its Ponga. You're not allowed to tackle him above the waist.:punch:)
See, clear as mud.

Why isn’t he in FG

Why is he in FG?

Exactly right. Both him and Koula remind me so much of Brett Stewart and Stevie Matai when they started out. Not saying they will ever reach that level but have potential.

Anyone can see the only thing they need is time on park in the NRL.

Weekes has had less than a dozens games and Koula around 30.

By this time next season we will see real benefits of them having played 40-50 matches.

I feel these 2 along with Schuster, Haumole, Paseka, Fainu, Saab, Garrick, and our big name players could lead us back to the glory days.

Go Manly

Weekes needs some consistent football. I agree he needs to spend some time at Blacktown to play himself back into form and regain some confidence.

I've only just seen the game and I'm going to be, what seems to be, the odd person out here. I just don't think he played as poorly as some are suggesting. I absolutely agree that he's not playing at the level we thought/wanted him to be playing at but he didn't do a lot wrong yesterday. He was pretty safe under the high ball except for the one where Best out jumped him. But even then, he did well to still grab hold of him and stop him from scoring. And I think it's a bit unfair to hold the last try against him. We've seen Saab do the same thing to FBs when he has a mile of room to run. The bloke is an athlete and was at full pace with a mile of room, so expecting Weekes to tackle him seems harsh.

Yes, his impact in the back line was minimal and there was that one run where he just didn't get the timing right with Shu. But rather than send him back to the Blackhole, I'd be keeping him in FG so that he might get more time working with Shu and the rest of the backline.

We're going to be without key players for a while, so give the kid the chance to get things going with the blokes that are there now. Apart from dropping Johns for Arthur, I just don't see any value at this point, in continuing to chop and change the team.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2