We Were Badly Out of Form

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Six weeks ago I was the one starting threads about our form. Well I'm man enough to say I was wrong. Des seems to have timed our run perfectly. I believe we will knock off either the donkeys or the chokers without problem. We will then get Gift & Lussick back & my mail is that Kingy will be good to go for the GF.

Bring it on!!!!!

We were a little down from our best in a few games this year but Des knows how to get the boys up for the games that count, the perfect example was against the Storm and again tonight. The only big game we lost was the Dragons game when Foran and a few other blokes were playing injured.

Ralphie said:
Six weeks ago I was the one starting threads about our form. Well I'm man enough to say I was wrong. Des seems to have timed our run perfectly. I believe we will knock off either the donkeys or the chokers without problem. We will then get Gift & Lussick back & my mail is that Kingy will be good to go for the GF.

Bring it on!!!!!

I've heard the same about Kingy.
It would be interesting to see our pack

Based on that, Grand Final side???:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. William Hopoate
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Shane Rodney

Holy ****, Darcy may miss out !!

Massive risk on kingy I would sit Rodney out and have darcy just in case king dog blows out his boobie again

King has been out too long. You couldn't put him into a GF team. He will have zero match fitness.

The result was not a true reflection of our form lets not forget it was 18-8 at the 69th min. For Gus Gould to say it's been ages since Manly has played sideways just shows his age and is getting behind the times in his observations of performance and structures.(we all know it's been a common problem with our performances for years)

I still admire his views but he could no longer coach a team to an nrl premiership. Gus really showed he was behind the times when he was debating the merits of deeper backlines with Matty Johns against the Panthers on Friday night footy a few years ago. Deep backlines in the modern game offer more time for defences to read the play and can contribute to sideways running in some instances.

Our redzone attack is still not great---as i said before it will be good enough to beat most teams but lets hope we don't come across an in form Dragons defence as we will struggle big time.

As with the Bronco's game Manlys performance is always dictated by our straight go forward.(well that goes without saying for all teams but more so Manly) I have to admit i was and still am worried about our forward rotation depth but have been impressed with the effort in the second halves more than i thought with our current pack.

What i'm also liking is without G.Stewart on the right Lyon has more space,depth and options to his game---DCE either feeds early to Lyon getting him one on one more often or DCE can play shorter closer to the posts drawing in defenders before we go wide.

Often our right side spreads are too direct to G.Stewart and it becomes cramped actually reducing our outside options.(i'm not saying i don't want G.Stewart back but reducing the amount of times we go to him as the ball playing option and using him as a decoy or runner of the ball)

The more direct straight simple plays in the redzone is always a good starting base before trying to finesse and work around defences with elaborate decoy plays. Against the Storm the line run from Lyon off DCE in the first half where he drops the ball over the line put a smile on my face more than anything else we have done on that side for a while.

In yesterdays game(2nd half) the shorter passing around the post leading to a straight running outside in short play to Foran after some adlib play should be encouraged more---modern attacks tend to over-use the long passing spreads in the red zone---the longer the pass the easier it is to read and slide in defence or get numbers around the ball.

Oh and the Cowboys will never win a premiership with Thurston the main man(as i've stated before)---he needs someone else to flourish. Manly always have his measure we read this over-rated player well---one nice grubber and is talked about as having a decent game give me a break. He can't run the show fullstop, too many technical flaws and his passing game is nothing special---the quality of players around him in Origin makes him a decent player.

Only bothered with the 1st paragraph, was a good laugh though

Hmmmmm, a successful Premiership and Origin coach who knows the game inside out, or a keyboard coach who has never been there and never done that

Tough one to decide upon

TC is getting a little better, I didn't mind that assesment. I actually got right through it.

Bollocks TC. Our right side attack in the first half was rubbish because Rodney didn't know what to do with it. We have Glenn there and it's a different story on that side. Get over this anti Stewart obsession.

Ryan said:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. William Hopoate
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Shane Rodney

Holy s**t, Darcy may miss out !!

Could you leave him out after that game against Melbourne ?

TokyoEagle said:
Ryan said:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. William Hopoate
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Shane Rodney

Holy s**t, Darcy may miss out !!

Could you leave him out after that game against Melbourne ?

King can't just come back in, **** his captaincy we want Darcy and his brutality

And was it just me or was Rodney running a route?

Technical Coach said:
Gus really showed he was behind the times when he was debating the merits of deeper backlines with Matty Johns against the Panthers on Friday night footy a few years ago. Deep backlines in the modern game offer more time for defences to read the play and can contribute to sideways running in some instances.

I totally disagree. A back must be near full pace when receiving the ball to be most effective. Being flat-footed gives you no momentum to sidestep or break tackles. T Rex is a good example, even though no longer a back. When he is running on to the ball he is so much more damaging that when he receives the ball standing still.

Then again, I may be behind the times, like Gus.

ads said:
Bollocks TC. Our right side attack in the first half was rubbish because Rodney didn't know what to do with it. We have Glenn there and it's a different story on that side. Get over this anti Stewart obsession.

I'm talking in general when DCE has the ball or even Ballin and passing to Glen Stewart---sometimes going through an extra set of ballplaying hands slows down and cramps the outside backs and also overly focusses DCE and Ballin to deliver to Stewart instead of using him as a hole runner through the line or decoy.

Rodney tried to play through the line and made a few half openings even in our poor attacking display in the first half. Don't get me wrong Glen will always be a better option but needs to balance his ballplaying time.

Making a critical observation or having an alternative viewpoint does not mean your "anti Stewart" or "Dessie is crap" or "if you know better why don't you coach the team" or "see they won the GF so all your observations are wrong so eat shyte" its an observation that's all it is.

We could win 10 gf's in a row and i would find areas where to improve does not mean i am anti Dessie or that my views hold any less weight because we won.

Take for example the pet play that brings B.Stewart in----its execution barely works in the manner it should these days---we get the occasional try from it but the angle of his run is always heading towards the corner post limiting its options and not really committing defenders. Its not just the run but the early delivery to the decoy runners not doing their job to not enough short options before the play---it's not anti Brett its an observation on execution. How dare a Manly supporter say anything remotely critical or negative of the Stewarts and be labelled a Manly supporter.

I have to agree with TC about Gifty always going sideways and cramping lyon and Hoppas room to move. I wish he would just run forward a bit more sometimes so when he does go sideways its something different. This is what i like about Ferris, he straightens up our attack!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4