We Are in a Form Slump

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
I have read most of the posts on this Forum about yesterdays game and on balance mostly people are happy with the way we played.

I for one have a deep concern that we are in a form slump. It started with the Parramatta game, a game we were dead set lucky to win. Then came the St George game where we were soundly beaten by a more energetic team and then came yesterday, after a bye, where we were supposed to be refreshed and ready to go. We can't continue to make excuses such as the refereeing decisions. Those decisions will continue to go against us.

Yesterday we played against a reserve grade forward pack and an average backline that lost their speed in Wesser to injury. We looked tired and lethargic in defence and their was little cohesion in attack with players standing too flat and passes not crisp. I know Glenn Stewart got MOM, but how many times did he run sideways so far that he had to pass inside to Jamie. The game turned yesterday when Jamie Buhrer went on to the field. He provided much needed energy in the forwards and that gave the momentum needed to enable Foran to do his thing.

Make no mistake about it, if we play like we have for the past month, Newcastle will knock us off.

Let the attacks begin!

As i said before the bye, we were on the backside of the curve. Now we're building up again and should hit our straps just before the finals.

Just relax aye!

Agree not in best form but if we are in a slump & have won 2 out of 3 its not terrible - i mean last year we would have got 0 from 3 in the same circumstances. The intensity the Seaeagles HAD shown was never going to be maintained for the season. NO team is in consistently great form in 2011 & i believe our best is a higher level than any including Illawarra who apart from poor execution & attacking options inside their 30 - Manly had covered during this so called slump. Some truth not at best but for me its great to know their are a few more gears up the sleeve come finals time.

Fonz said:
As i said before the bye, we were on the backside of the curve. Now we're building up again and should hit our straps just before the finals.

Just relax aye!

I am relaxed, but I am concerned. A form slump can sometimes be difficult to shake. I think we can shake it, but I don't think we can let it go too long. There are 8 games to play and then at least 3 games in the finals if we are to go on and win. I accept that it is difficult to be on top of your game for 11 games straight and I know we will have at least one or two more losses, but it is the appearance of fatigue that worries me. I hope the young guy's aren't starting to hit the fatigue wall that can happen to a young side.

still in 2nd so no real concerns from me. I keep thinking we have had a fairly easy run, but with 15 teams below you, you are essentially consistently playing weaker teams. Only teams we haven't beaten are Dragons, Storm and Tigers.

We may be on a bit of a slump but it's also the time of year where teams are fighting for survival and often play a tougher brand of footy.

We are also known for our physical style of football, and teams are throwing everything they have at us to try to match and counter that type of footy.

As for the last few games, i would rather lose to other possible grand finalists just before the finals than beat them, it often leads to a better performance when we meet them in the semi's

Very often you play as poorly as the team in front of you does. I'd suggest that was the problem with yesterdays effort. We're in second spot, a good place to be. I fell confident that Des has the plan and the troops to win the silverware this year. Onwards and upwards.

I do feel we have dropped a couple of notches but, as others have said, we're still winning games. At 16-4 I feel we just hit the cruise button, but the pleasing aspect was with the game in the balance, Foran grabbed it by the balls and went bang, bang, thank you umpire, thank you ball boys. This kid has the ability to lift and, more importantly, take the team with him when the need arises. Remember, in the only game we've lost during this 'slump' Foran was playing injured. If fully fit, he may have well stolen that game too.

mosto said:
I do feel we have dropped a couple of notches but, as others have said, we're still winning games. At 16-4 I feel we just hit the cruise button, but the pleasing aspect was with the game in the balance, Foran grabbed it by the balls and went bang, bang, thank you umpire, thank you ball boys. This kid has the ability to lift and, more importantly, take the team with him when the need arises. Remember, in the only game we've lost during this 'slump' Foran was playing injured. If fully fit, he may have well stolen that game too.

I would disagree that we hit the cruise button, we were hit with some poor penalties and that robbed us of any ball, therefore we had no momentum

Fonz said:

Just relax aye!

That's how I see it too.

if we peak now we will be fodder in the finals just like the Titans and Panthers of 2010. It's all about timing.

I agree that our defense has dropped a little. Newcastle may beat us next week. But think of the positives we have alot of improvement in us yet. We dont have any long term injuries. So come finals time we may have a full roster.

We are lucky there are only 2 other teams that can win this comp. The rest of the teams are below us.

wheres the maroon and white spirit mate, Manly know how to win comps. Hang in there brudda!

I agree that we are in a form slump.

BUT!!
It goes to show how good manly is that we can come back from anything and lift when we need to! We will be red hot come finals!

I agree with the original post. Form slumps like this are frustrating as you know what your team is capapble of. I keep waiting for our team to start beating up on our opposition in defence. It hasn't happened much during our last few matches.

The upside is we are still winning. Good sign.

Did noone here learn the lesson from 08 about how Des is the master at planning the individual players & team performances to peak at the right time.

Also, when was the last time any team in this competition really put the other to the sword? Floggings are very rare these days and if that is your yard stick then you are a hard marker!

I wouldnt say a slump more of a flat spot but yes we are cruising through periods of games at the moment but know when to go for the "whip" so to speak.

I think we are travelling along nicely - I love the way we always finish off games strongly. I was frustrated at times yesterday but when we stepped it up the last 20 minutes Souths couldnt touch us. To me thats the sign of a good time - play average but win by plenty at full time & lift when it counts.

The thing about 2008 was we hit the semi's fit and full of energy - thats all I care about between now and the end of the season. Keep some juice in the tank and more wins than losses until the real games start.

Our defence is good-but not as brutal as usual. We usually really bend ball runners before the ad line, which put's our opposition under extreme pressure. That has been missing the last few games.
Obviously some of the bull**** calls cost us momentum-I can't believe the try awarded from Merritt's bat back.
Hopefully Dessie gets the defence back on track and it's going to be happy days in Sept-Oct

quinny said:
Our defence is good-but not as brutal as usual. We usually really bend ball runners before the ad line, which put's our opposition under extreme pressure. That has been missing the last few games.
Obviously some of the bull**** calls cost us momentum-I can't believe the try awarded from Merritt's bat back.
Hopefully Dessie gets the defence back on track and it's going to be happy days in Sept-Oct

I said as much in post but, on reflection, it could be a thing which is intentionally turned on or off by the coach. I couldn't help thinking after watching some of the assaults we put on teams in previous games that surely they couldn't keep that type of defence up all season. It seems as if Des has them on cruise control at the moment and we may not see it again until we are closer to the finals.

If we play scrappy & still win its a good sign..
We have players who still have to come back into our top 17 like hoppa & trex..
As far as i can tell Souths needed it more than us we`re 2nd. They tried failed we then went up a notch,when class & determination were needed Foran kicked started it , just like he did against Easts earlier this year..
I agree Buhrer played great when he come on in that 2nd half, Mauro made some good hit ups also..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4