We are 12 months away people

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
I know we had a great backend of 2021 and snuck in to the 4 without really firing a shot at the other top 4 sides.

But I feel this year we have grown as a side and are building nicely for a serious premiership tilt in 2023. Last year a lot of it was Tommyball where as I this year the team has developed into a more complete unit. We are more physical in Defense, we have serious depth in the outside backs with emergence of Koula and Tuipulotu. Morgan Harper has rebounded from that sharks game and continued to improve not to mention Rubeturbo :) the bloke has been one of our best since tommy went down. Not to mention the form of our skipper who has been outstanding.

We still have some unfinished business this year, how far we go? I'm not sure first week of finals would be a pass mark.

Then lets look towards 2023,

A fit Tommy T at the back will be the icing on the cake now instead of being our sole source of x factor.
Rubes, Saab and Tuiputlotu fighting for 2 wing spots
Harper, Parker and Koula fighting for 2 centre spots

Then in the pack
Alolai, sippley, paseka and keppie upfront
Shamole, burbo and Tuilagi in the back row
Jake at lock
Faniu at hooker

Croker to fill the number 14 role

The only question mark and thing that i see that could hold us back is how Schuster goes at 6 next year, he's been disappointing this year if he fulfills that potential next year and can play the role Foz has this side will go very deep Next year

Hi Cameron, thanks for the thoughtful post .Depending on how we go on game days there maybe some on STs who disagree with one or two of your assessments , esp of the skipper!.
A lot of calls for mass sackings ,cleanouts ,rebuilds from the ball boys up etc etc you get my drift .
But for mine I pretty much agree with you .
The Schu needs an off season I think and a few less keys to re adjust his body and mind.
If possible a little more game time in 2022 would help unless there is something we don't know re his fitness .
Clearly a lot will depend on how we go on Thursday night re 2022 ,but we are still hanging in there ,while there is life there is hope.
Lets wish our Covid 3 a rapid return to be fit and firing on Thursday .
Go Manly

I think we have a lot of the tools there but we still need plenty of work.

As you mention Shu needs to mature and knuckle down. Needs to realize he is not there yet and commit to do the hard yards.

If Fainu get off and gets back to fitness I'd still start Croker until Fainu is undeniable. Crokers game suits taking the sting out of the first 30 begore Fainu run amok.

We need Paseka to take that next step. He hints at it but really needs become a dominant force.

Kelma, Lawton, Burbo....someone needs to lock down that edge.

We have a decent roster on paper, but you can never factor in injuries. It is almost undeniable that Manly isn't a top four side unless Turbo is playing to his potential. How many matches can we count on him playing in 2023?
Then I look at the results of our reserve grade and junior teams. This season they have been poor to say the least.
Contrast this with Penrith, and why could you possibly think that Manly could compete with the footballing talent of this huge growth area? They have, and will continue to have unless the NRL splits up their territory, ten good juniors to every one of ours.
We are a small, suburban club owned by a family with insufficient wealth to buy success. Sadly, until our club is purchased by a mega-rich person/corporation we will struggle.

I know we had a great backend of 2021 and snuck in to the 4 without really firing a shot at the other top 4 sides.

But I feel this year we have grown as a side and are building nicely for a serious premiership tilt in 2023. Last year a lot of it was Tommyball where as I this year the team has developed into a more complete unit. We are more physical in Defense, we have serious depth in the outside backs with emergence of Koula and Tuipulotu. Morgan Harper has rebounded from that sharks game and continued to improve not to mention Rubeturbo :) the bloke has been one of our best since tommy went down. Not to mention the form of our skipper who has been outstanding.

We still have some unfinished business this year, how far we go? I'm not sure first week of finals would be a pass mark.

A fit Tommy T at the back will be the icing on the cake now instead of being our sole source of x factor.

Then in the pack
Jake at lock
Faniu at hooker

The only question mark and thing that i see that could hold us back is how Schuster goes at 6 next year, he's been disappointing this year if he fulfills that potential next year and can play the role Foz has this side will go very deep Next year
Agree 100% if the injury gods are in our favour

Agree 100% if the injury gods are in our favour
Oh the other thing Tony Mestrov will need to do early on is extend Des' contract.
Don't want none of that 2011 rubbish if we are flying.

I know he has his doubters but I think he's done a great job since he returned.

the team needs to be smarter next year AND tom needs to be smarter. Have watched many of our matches from last year again and the one thing that stood out was Tom not for his brilliant season but just how much he stifled the rest of the team.
We all talk about the players not being able to win without Tom but when the MAN is getting on average 3 or 4 touches per set it really doesn't allow others to do anything.
Great when its working of course but as early 2022 showed when it doesn't work it makes us look really bad. We are playing better as a team with Tom out now. If he can drop back into the system and do his thing amongst a TEAM then we will be awsome.

i haven't given up on 2022 yet.

Sneak into 5th and think this is our last decent crack for a few years.

Our roster is not much better than Newcastle, Dragons or the Eels, we are off the pace with Souths, Roosters, Sharks, Cowboys and a long way from the Panthers.

Aging players like DCE and Marty, added to losing Davey, Walker and Foran leave next years side looking skinny on talent to me.

Our prospects rely 100% on Tom.

Then in the pack
Jake at lock
Faniu at hooker

Has Fainu won his court case?

I half agree. I just think there is two things missing. One is a half back. As good as DCE is he's not an organising control the tempo, control the team kind of player, he only knows one way, which go for broke every chance he gets. This team and DCE would be so much better with a dominant half in the side.

The second is some serious discussions between our coaching staff and players. If I look at the cows. Changing faces isn't always the answer. But something has to give with poor attitude and learning from mistakes. DES just seems to nice in his old age. This group too comfortable to just make up the numbers.

It's time for a new Captain for mine.

I’ll be very surprised if Fainu can recapture his form after 3 years of not playing and countless shoulder operations so I still think we will be short a hooker

Halves are our issue. Very difficult to win a premiership without at least one very good half. We have one who peaked years ago and is getting more inconsistent by the season and a rookie unproven in the role.

It's nice to dream but it's a 'yeah nah' from me. I can't see us winning another premiership until we get a new 7.

The issue with Schuster will not be whether he handles 5/8 competently next year. He will. The question will be whether he shows the skills he is born with and could be invaluable. Its a question as to whether he'll be B+ or an A+

Then in the pack
Jake at lock
Faniu at hooker

I would like to agree with you but before I do.. I will wait until about a week before the season opener, when the NRL will change the rules, that will change the dynamic of the game entirely again.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2