Wayne Bennett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
While I agree that Bennett has been very ungracious, he has a valid point when it comes to golden point.

The whole mentality of both sides changes. You can't tell me either of those teams was wondering how they would create a try scoring opportunity. It was all about field goal. As soon as Hunt dropped the kick off, it was pretty much over. Sometimes a single error can cost you a game. He copped a huge penalty for that error and even though I was laughing inside, if I'm honest I don't think it's a fair punishment.

If it were 10 minutes each way, at least there would have been time to make up for it.

What makes golden point even worse is the 7 tackle set. That is the DUMBEST rule ever and should be thrown out unless the kick comes from the player's own half deeming it a defensive and negative tactic.

I'd get rid of golden point altogether in the regular season. It's a draw. Move on.

It's a lottery cos you are determining a game on factors that overall are pretty random - such as field position, a dropped ball, and the ability of one kicker. As Simon said one mistake and you're screwed, and it's all over. You don't get to make up for it. Add in the farce of sides running up off side (Reynolds last year) and the 7 tackle rule for a missed field goal and you've got a farcical lottery.

I sat there for the entire day in 1978 & had to go home with no result. The crowd was silent and stunned, it was awful and should never happen again. There must be a result on the day otherwise it's a sham. Should be golden try 5 min each way then to golden point.

I think it is a distraction to keep the media from talking about how the Broncos made no effort to actually try to win it for the last 30 minutes.
Hunt seemed to be under instructions to keep the Cows coming off their line - seemed ridiculous after about the 4th time, but his Captain never pulled him up on it.:wondering:

I remember seeing the highlights a few years back in the AFL when it happened. The players, coaches, even some of the media were going 'um so what happens now? A replay? WTF?' You had players, fans etc changing holidays and plans because they had to come back and do it in a weeks time.

We all cry conspiracy a lot in recent years, but imagine the uproar if we had replays? There would be the conspiracy theory the NRL rigged it to get another 80 thousand at the ground, another days ratings etc etc.

I don't understand the argument that Golden Point is unfair...how is it a lottery?

Both teams have an equal opportunity to win it? The Broncos lost last night because the Cowboys put up a good kick off (+1 Cowboys), Ben Hunt dropped the ball (-1 Broncos), Tamou got a quick play-the-ball (+1 Cowboys), Granville threw a sharp direct pass (+1 Cowboys), and JT was cool under pressure and executed the play (+1 Cowboys).

The Cowboys executed rugby league skill, whilst the Broncos dropped the ball....it seems fair to me. The team that executed the best in the golden point period won...that's not a lottery, that's good football from the Cowboys and a mistake by the Broncos.
So you are happy for the game to be decided on a dropkickathon extra time the game is more than that.

I want my extra time to harness all the elements that make Rugby League great not short circuit it to speed up a result which is basically what golden point is saying "please hurry up we will make it easier for you all you have to do is kick it over the post so we are done"

Defenses running offside with the ref not wanting to give a penalty so as to allow the field goal ending to decide the game---- in most instances. The improvement in kicking techniques each year will lead to extra time not lasting as long compared to previous years, leaving a deflated "is that all the extra time was" feeling

For an extra 10mins we can keep all the tough elements of league we love, even if it is 5mins then reducing player numbers every 5mins is more tolerable.

The Cowboys finally getting ahead and having to defend that lead is what i wanted to see or scoring the field goal in the last second to win it(no that is not golden point that is sticking it out till the end and deserving)

Yes the Broncos did not help themselves i agree with you but i don't see the point in extra time when it lasts that long leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Last edited:
Worth remembering that Wayne was the only current coach (such is his stature, admittedly) who came out and vigorously supported Geoff Toovey during the season. None of the others did, with only a half-hearted gesture from Toovey's supposedly great mate Hasler, early in the season.

golden point is as someone above said, a tv thing.

was surprised there was no extra time before golden point.

Bennett was clearly shocked and their boring tactics backfired big time but it should be ten minutes each way extra time.. he shouldn't of made out that they didn't lose, that it was all about golden point though.

But he's right, it's a crap way to decide it. As far as regular rounds go if a game is drawn each team gets a point.. what's the problem with that?

I've just watched Bennett. He does seem bitter as would any coach/player/fan who lost a Grand Final to a Golden Point field goal. But he has to suck it up.
I was extremely happy with the result last night though. A way better fairy tale finish than the bunnies IMO.
I also enjoyed the show of sportsmanship by the two captains when they embraced at the end of the match. Never have been a fan of Hodges but that moment was a nice little piece of Nrl history I reckon.

Key people (in order) who decided the Grand Final result:
1. Bennett by trying to protect a 4 point lead rather than going for a killer blow.
2. Hunt. Implemented Bennett's ridiculous strategy. Dropped the ball gifting NQ the Tamou try. Up-ended a player to bring NQ to the opposite end of the field for the match-equalling try. Dropped the kick-off to lose the game. Why, WHY do players present their chest front-on when catching a kick? This invites a knock on. Way back in the 60's Bob Batty used to always catch the kicks side-on with momentum going backwards - so knocking on was virtually impossible. I don't recall him ever knocking on from a kick, and would be surprised if he did. Also, why do players have their elbows widely separated when catching a ball on the chest? Was taught to hug the ball into the chest with elbows together and concave chest when playing Aussie rules. Locks the ball in. So simple, so low error.
3. Morgan - fantastic last play

Last edited:
How would you be ?

Never trailing for the entire match, yet losing. I'd be spewing too.

Last edited:
True but Bennett's timing is off, he should have shut up and just congratulated the winners. Comes across as sour grapes as he knew the rule before the game started.
He should have left it to someone else to state the obvious, rather than try to diminish one of the great grand final finishes.

True but Bennett's timing is off, he should have shut up and just congratulated the winners. Comes across as sour grapes as he knew the rule before the game started.
He should have left it to someone else to state the obvious, rather than try to diminish one of the great grand final finishes.
Yep. And not just sour grapes, but a diversion of convenience. Worthy of a politician.

Bennett is lauded as the Messiah, yet the playing field is so ridiculously sloped in his favour that it makes his record totally meaningless in my eyes.

Not a betting man (well, not on anything that can talk:)) so can someone help me. Is there an issue with teams drawing and game betting? Thought this might be a reason.

I sat there for the entire day in 1978 & had to go home with no result. The crowd was silent and stunned, it was awful and should never happen again. There must be a result on the day otherwise it's a sham. Should be golden try 5 min each way then to golden point.
Was odd but wouldn't swap the euphoria of the Tuesday for a result in the initial GF for anything.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7