Was Cleal's tackle worth 7 weeks???????

Normie

Bencher

Straight from ninemsn......

Cleal facing lengthy suspension
13:13 AEST Mon May 9 2005

Manly forward Kane Cleal faces up to seven weeks on the sideline after the NRL judiciary charged him with a reckless high tackle.

If the Sea Eagles decide to contest the grade one charge and lose, Cleal will miss seven matches for his high shot on Wests Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs at Brookvale Oval.

Cleal will be ousted for five games if he enters an early guilty plea.

South Sydney forward Scott Geddes and Newcastle's Matthew White have both been charged with grade one careless high tackles.

White will escape suspension with an early guilty plea while Geddes will miss the Rabbitohs' encounter with Melbourne on Saturday night at Aussie Stadium if he does the same.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

It didn't look THAT bad. A routine high shot for Morely.

You are cracking jokes. It wasn't a good one but 7 weeks is a joke. What is his previous record??????

due to this being a "pay back" from Jersey Flegg days i suppose you could argue that Kane went in with intent to hit his head.

7 weeks is a bit harsh, i expected 2 - 3.

i suppose that is about right, 3 for the early plea, plus 2 weeks for being manly = 5 weeks for early.

it looked like a sending off offense at the game, but not worth 7 weeks

To be honest........................ who cares.

Kite and Kingy will be back next week, and Bryant and Curtis were better than Cleal anyway.

Then we get Leuluai back. I know it is harsh but Cleal won't be a major loss.

More importantly bring on Matai, Taylor and Alberts.

to true - it doesnt hurt us much - although cleal went better than expected.

early plea will be taken more than likely

I reckon you are being harsh on Cruncher. He is being developed and props don't mature till they are older!

Anyone know what Patten and Utai got?

cleals is technically 5 weeks, only seven if he contests.

To be honest, i expected a send off, my heart just sank when i saw it.

Kane Cleal cares. It's his living.
What suprises me is that Steve Price punches someone in the head and proclaims that his eyes were shut so gets off. Danny Williams king hits a player & gets the same amount of time as Hoppa who accidentally made a poor, poor tackle. Luke Rickertson got very minimal weeks for a shot to the head so that he could play come "finals" time. No Manly players seem to contest, but guys at The Roosters consistently do. I question Manly's ability to fight to the best of its ability in this area.

Even Cummings said last year that he apologises, and should have fought harder for Hoppa.

To add to that, if you look at Kylie's high shot...I have watched the replay a few times, you would notice his arm was around 60 cm from the ground. He was crouched in the launch position, arms either side of his to wrap the attacker up. The attacking player slips, and contact is made at a very low level. I actually don't think Kylie COULD have been any lower.

Fair enough if he was tackling me. That would be a fair head high, but the dude he tackled was over 6 feet tall!

It aint Rocket science.

If I were a Manly player, I would have a real lack of confidence in the legal team at Manly defending me should something go array. We just seem to cop it hard in places we shouldn't!!LoL

As soon as I saw the hit I thought 6 weeks. It was high,swinging,had momentum and was a clean shot to the head,and not just the chin either

I agree re: Kylie, thought they would contest, although 60cm is a bit of an exageration.

Cruncher will take the early plea as his importance isnt that high.

Don't forget though, the base penalty is 300 points, which is only 3 weeeks, but he has three offences which are adding loading to that!

it was obviously intentional,he only just got back from suspension,has a shocking record and he should have been sent off in which case we probably would have been beaten.5 weeks is fair -we should count our lucky stars he wasnt sent off and work with him to improve his discipline.

I agree with Sue. At the ground I thought he was going to get sent - and the game was there to be won.

I rate Cleal as a good young prospect and I hope he comes on in the next few years.

The SMH claims it might have been deliberate as a get square on Gibbs who elbowed Cleal a few years ago.

If it contested it's possible that the judiciary might upgrade to "intentional". I doubt they will contest this one.

The story has just gone up on the AE home page.

It appears too be safer to drop a player on his head, ala Smith / Watmough and only get 2 weeks with a previous bad record. This Judicial system is a joke.

The SMH claims it might have been deliberate as a get square on Gibbs who elbowed Cleal a few years ago.

He had his jaw broken in that incident.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2