Warriors, Storm want Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle007

Reserve Grader
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/warriors-storm-want-foran-20120324-1vqy0.html

Adrian Proszenko and Aaron Lawton
March 25, 2012
Read later

Sought-after signature … Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran now has the Warriors and Melbourne after his services, as well as Canterbury. Photo: Getty Images
MANLY face an even greater task to retain Kieran Foran after the Warriors and Melbourne joined the Bulldogs in the race for his signature.

The Sea Eagles have locked up halfback Daly Cherry-Evans on an upgraded deal but the future of his halves partner Foran remains uncertain. The Kiwi pivot is effectively a free agent, as he has a get-out clause in his contract that was activated when Des Hasler defected to Canterbury. While the interest from the Bulldogs is well known, the emergence of the Storm and the Warriors as contenders will make it even harder for Manly to retain the playmaker.

The Warriors are on the lookout for a replacement pivot for Roosters-bound James Maloney next season. While they have signed Thomas Leuluai from Wigan for next year, it is understood officials would like to pair gun halfback Shaun Johnson with Foran, as Leuluai is also a capable hooker. The fact that Foran is a New Zealander - he has represented the Kiwis on seven occasions - could give last year's grand finalists a distinct advantage in negotiations.

Advertisement: Story continues below
However, Warriors boss Wayne Scurrah gave little away when contacted about the club's interest in the 21-year-old.

''We don't talk about our recruiting decisions until we've got something to say,'' Scurrah said.

''We have flagged with the new owners - Owen Glenn and Eric Watson - that we are committed to development. We are looking to do more in development and any signings we make outside the club will be high-level ones that will complement the team performance.''

Melbourne have also become contenders for Foran's services. The Storm could have money to spend - and a halves spot available - if they are unable to retain Cooper Cronk. The Queensland and Australian star is the other big name on the open market and has been headhunted by South Sydney and Gold Coast.

Despite the Titans' financial difficulties, there have been rumours the club is close to securing Cronk on a four-year deal reportedly worth $2.6 million. Should that transpire, Foran would be an obvious replacement, ensuring the Storm continue into the future with a ''big three'' in the spine of their attack. Souths also have room to raise their offer after Dave Taylor decided to head to the Titans next year.

Manly's salary cap is almost bursting at the seams from next year and some marquee names will have to move elsewhere. The premiers won't be able to keep all of their off-contract stars, with Foran, Brett Stewart, Steve Matai and Darcy Lussick among those on the free-agent list. Cherry-Evans's upgrade will only further complicate matters given several players are on heavily back-ended deals.

Given his tender age, representative status and marketability - Foran was given the honour of opening the NRL season alongside his halves partner - the Asquith Magpies junior could command up to $700,000 a season on the open market.

Earlier this month, the Herald revealed Foran's management team was seeking a pay rise of 14 per cent of Manly's overall cap - a total that translates to $600,000 a year. But the likely cap rise to $5 million next year would mean the Kiwis international would earn about $700,000 a season.

Manly chief David Perry was hopeful of landing Foran's signature. ''We understand Kieran's position and that he is much sought-after. We're not seeking to put any further pressure on him but it's no secret that he's an integral part of the club and we'd love to have him here long term. That's what we're working towards.'

And here it goes again lol you gotta laugh

Sounds like an article by Foran's manager listing every possible club that could be interested in him...

If the Storm have the cash to sign Kieren, wouldn't you think they would just keep Cronk??

Lol
Manly's salary cap is almost bursting at the seams

These dribblers seem to know all about Manlys financials

The Warriors are a huge threat.

The strong mail in Dorkland right now is that if the Warriors want him, they can have him:

- they were upwards of a million under the cap last year

- they have extra Maloney money

- he is a Kiwi

On the upside for us is that the Warriors won't spend huge on any player and they have guns in the lower grades so don't need him.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
WHEN it comes to footballing and leadership talent there are few who are more impressive than Kieran Foran, and once you learn about his breeding it explains why he handles himself so well on and off the field. Kieran's father, Greg, was the 2IC at Woolworths. He left that job to take on another role - the head of Walmart in China.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/

The warriors have a new billionaire owner, the days of them not filling there cap are gone.

wombatgc said:
LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
WHEN it comes to footballing and leadership talent there are few who are more impressive than Kieran Foran, and once you learn about his breeding it explains why he handles himself so well on and off the field. Kieran's father, Greg, was the 2IC at Woolworths. He left that job to take on another role - the head of Walmart in China.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/
With his fathers connections in China apparently a few clubs have put out feelers, anyway here's the short list..... Shanghai Foodogs Rugby League Club, Shanghai Touch-Football Club, Shanghai Ultimate Frisbee Players Association, Shanghai Saints and Sirens Gaelic Football Club, and Shanghai Tigers Aussie Rules Football Club.....the frisbee association are said to be cashed up with no worries staying under the cap.....

wizball1973 said:
The Warriors are a huge threat.

The strong mail in Dorkland right now is that if the Warriors want him, they can have him:

- they were upwards of a million under the cap last year

- they have extra Maloney money

- he is a Kiwi

On the upside for us is that the Warriors won't spend huge on any player and they have guns in the lower grades so don't need him.

As far as I am aware it is not possible to be a million under the cap any year. The NRL introduced a rule approx 5 years ago that ensured that all clubs spent the cap or withing a couple a hundred K within it . They did this to stop clubs parking cash for future raids and to protect the integrity of their product

Please correct me if I am wrong

Not saying the kiwis dont have cash to spend but in a year they paid overs for inu, mateo and berrigan i doubt they were that far under the cap

I don't think the Warriors are a threat to us at all with Foran tbh, especially after the way they treated Liam

I wasn't worried about the Storm either until a few minutes ago. 1 of my good mates has moved to Melbourne and was at the game yesterday, and saw Kieran there in a suit being given a tour of the ground

Kiwi Eagle said:
I don't think the Warriors are a threat to us at all with Foran tbh, especially after the way they treated Liam

I wasn't worried about the Storm either until a few minutes ago. 1 of my good mates has moved to Melbourne and was at the game yesterday, and saw Kieran there in a suit being given a tour of the ground

I'm hoping your friend might have been confused with DCE as he was there in a suit yesterday doing commentary for the toyota cup.

There is no way a player they are looking to sign would be given a tour of the facilities on game day.

It would have been DCE.

Na it wasn't DCE, he knows his stuff

At a guess I would say it was the only day free in our training schedule that he could get away. Maybe he wasn't getting a full tour of the facilities but he was definitely there in a suit according to my mate

Kiwi Eagle said:

Neither do I tbh. And it's not my Liam theory either.
The Warriors have a gun 5/8 playing 20s (he's played for them for a few years now).
Now coupled with the fact that big chunks of there 20 premiership winning teams are now playing NRL will make it easier for them (combos already existing).

I feel that Cronk will be at the Storm as long as Smith and Bellamy's there. Probably 2015 and they'll sign with Ipswich

Moondog said:
With his fathers connections in China apparently a few clubs have put out feelers, anyway here's the short list..... Shanghai Foodogs Rugby League Club, Shanghai Touch-Football Club, Shanghai Ultimate Frisbee Players Association, Shanghai Saints and Sirens Gaelic Football Club, and Shanghai Tigers Aussie Rules Football Club.....the frisbee association are said to be cashed up with no worries staying under the cap.....

I think I read an article by Rothfield about that. Although he doesn't speak Chinese and they don't speak English, apparently Kieren thinks he will be able to communicate much better with the Chinese than with Manly's dysfunctional Board so it is a real possibility that he will go.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8