WARRIORS MAY HAVE A LOT TO PLAY FOR

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
People seem to have forgotten about the warriors,thinking they will have nothing to play for at brookie..if they beat knights in auckland this week and we lose to sharks as seems likely they will have EVERYTHING to play for against us next week particularly if the bulldogs and roosters stumble as seems likely.they have the bye in the last round so they would equal us on points if the raiders dish us.they would be fired up to the max with stacey also playing his last game and us maybe without the bks.i would not give a fig for our chances against their pack with those 2 out.

This week is very important for Manly. If we could do something we haven't done for 20 years we would be virtually over the line. Their form is awful.

To be more than merely passengers in the semis we need to finish 6th in my view as 7th and 8th will be pulverised by the top two!

6TH is virtually impossible with storm having the bye and great for and against and cowboys playing a reserve grade raiders at home this week and a better for and against.it will be suncorp,parra or the highway cw.

I have a $50- bet with a bulldog supporter that Manly will finish with more points at the end of the season.

Am I safe?

I'd rather they had something to play for. Whenever we come up against a side that has "nothing to play for" we get thrashed.

Wasnt it a couple of years ago we were playing for 8th spot against Penrith who had "nothing to play for" and they put 50 something points on us?

I was there that day - really, really ugly. Nothing any one says will ever convince me that Peter Sharp is a coach of any standing.

The good news is that maybe the Warriors will have had their celebrations for Stacey:

->www.nrl.com
All eyes on Stacey’s farewell
16 August 2005

The club’s last home match of the 2005 season against Newcastle doubles as a farewell to Jones before he takes up a two-year contract with French club UTC in the English Super League next year.

His looming departure after 11 seasons with the club will be marked at a sold-out testimonial lunch at the Ellerslie Convention Centre Wednesday. Organised by Peter Leitch (the Mad Butcher), the list of speakers includes New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, NRL CEO David Gallop, Vodafone Warriors CEO Mick Watson and Jones’ long-time friend and team-mate Awen Guttenbeil.

While Steve Price is back as captain, the 29-year-old Jones will lead the Vodafone Warriors onto the field for the last time of his career on Saturday night. After doing a lap of the ground to say goodbye to fans after his 237th match, he’ll continue the farewell theme at a party in the Super Top at Ericsson Stadium later on.

Head coach Tony Kemp said the coaching staff and players are striving to give Jones a huge send-off.

“There’ll be a lot of emotion surrounding Saturday night and so there should be,” said Kemp.

I'd rather they had something to play for. Whenever we come up against a side that has \"nothing to play for\" we get thrashed.

Wasnt it a couple of years ago we were playing for 8th spot against Penrith who had \"nothing to play for\" and they put 50 something points on us?

Please do not ever speak of that day again, it was tragic and in some ways worse than 1997.

Penrith were coming last from memory, if we won this game we would have been in the semi's, the rest is, as they say history and if ever I was to receive counselling that game brought me as close as I ever has been to the physciatrists couch.

Thanks for reminding me of that day...........not!

I was in a marriage course that day checking WAP on my phone to get updates. When the Panfers hit 50 the phone nearly made it through the wall and I very nearly had to return to that boring course a year later.

I was there. it wa my fault for having a go at the penrith fans who were yelling out Manly are ****.....and I turned around and said, but the panthers are being beaten by them....then the comeback started

I was there. it wa my fault for having a go at the penrith fans who were yelling out Manly are ****.....and I turned around and said, but the panthers are being beaten by them....then the comeback started

comeback? wrong game mate.

nah I am pretty sure it was that game, we only had to beat penrith and we would have been in the 8. Penrith were last. We were leading at about half time I think the score was something like 20-18 then we ended up getting thrashed. We then had to rely on St George to lose to make the 8, they won so we missed out.

Maybe it was a different year but i dont remember another year recently where penrith were in last, This was in the JV days I think in 2002

I'm pretty sure that Penrith were up by at least 30 at half time. Went on to win 68-28 or something like that.

Anyway, enough of the irrelevant issues, we got slaughtered. It was a terrible day, one of the worst. I think Sharpey went into the sheds and told the players to "**** off". What a coach.

it was 68 - 28

it was the northen eagles and not us so suck sh!t to them. I hate that JV and wished everygame was a flogging like that, then we would have had manly back earlier.

Northern Eagles vs Penrith Panthers
Round 26 - 09/8/2002 2:30:00 PM
Brookvale Oval

Complete self-destruction in the final match has cost the Eagles a spot in the Semi Finals. Needing a win to cement their spot the Eagles just didn’t aim up in defense. To make matters worse the Dragons played out of their skin against a depleted Knights side crushing any hope of the Eagles sneaking in.

It is a very disappointing day for the Eagles after what has been such a great season both on and off the park.

The Panthers took control of the match early racking up 16 unanswered points in the opening few minutes, and while Steve Menzies hit back with a great re-gather from a Jason Ferris banana kick it only inspired the Panthers to try harder.

Everything the Panthers did turned to gold. Down 44-6 at half time the Eagles were pretty much gone. When the Panthers scored first it was obvious that the Eagles weren’t going to make it back.

Midway through the second half the Eagles saved a bit of face with Dunley, Miles, Creary and Shipway all crossing but it was too little to late as the Eagles were nailed 5 tries to 12.

Hopefully the disappointment of missing the finals at the last hurdle will inspire the team to come back bigger and stronger. It will be a great day when the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles walk back out on to Brookvale Oval next season.

Penrith Panthers: 68 (Tries: Lewis3, Wesser 3, Girdler 2, Cross, Waterhouse, Hopkins, Gower. Goals: Girdler 9/11)
Northern Eagles: 28 (Tries: Menzies, Dunley, Miles, Creary, Shipway. Goals: Ferris 4/5)

Unforced Errors: Northern Eagles 14 - 5 Penrith Panthers
Penalties Conceded: Northern Eagles 7 - 6 Penrith Panthers

Aaron's Eagle Man of the Match: Jason Ferris

Sin Bins and Send Offs: -
Referee: Steven Clarke

Crowd: 13,755

it was 68 - 28

it was the northen eagles and not us so suck sh!t to them. I hate that JV and wished everygame was a flogging like that, then we would have had manly back earlier.

Technically it was the NE, but the decision had already been made to ditch playing games at NorthPower & that Manly were to return the following year. I was back at the club after the game and I rememeber a comment being made by Zorba along the lines of thank god that was the last time we will ever play a game as the NE. From memory it was a bit more colourful but I was drinking myself into a depressive state as a result of the tortue that had been just handed out to us at Brookie.

Those NE years were so difficult as a fan. In the beginning there was no chanting and then after a few matches the Manly chant returned, yet it seemed to lack the same passion as what I had known, I could justify the floggings as being the North Sydney influence, after all they were used to getting the crap beat out of them, I had followed them for so long that losing was not something to which I had been accustomed to, yet the pomises of riches and sucess offered by the JV seemed enough for me to keep on supporting them. How sadly I was mistaken, funnily enough that Penrith match really summed up the whole JV, the match started with promises and dreams of a semi final, it was considered a certainty, the Panthers were coming last, it was at Brookvale then in the space of just 80 minutes the whole thing collapsed into a pile of rubble.

To this day I swear that, that game has left with physcological issues that I may never ever recover from. I now know that we can lose the unloseable, I know that any lead we have is never enough, we can lose games in the last minute, we can nearly lose games in the last minute and we can be beaten by the team favoured for the wooden spoon. These are things that I never experienced as a supporter pre JV, or at least not on a regular basis.

I must have been thinking of a different match then for the comeback part, but I was right about the dragons part :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4