US election

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
For the sake of the entire globe I hope Obama gets over the line this week.

The alternative is terrifying.  A bumbling geriatric who doesn't know how to use the internet and a pro-gun, pentecostal loony just one heartbeat from the presidency. 

The Obama campaign has both style and substance.

The polls may suggest an easy Obama victory, but even our own Bob Carr (who probably knows more about US politics than NSW politics) raised the spectre of up to 10% of WASPs who "say" they will vote Obama but with pen in hand will vote for the village idiot and his witch maiden. 

Obama's lead is around 10% today.

I hope he wins too.  I am going to LA just after the election and if he loses it will probably be in round 2 of the LA riots. 

Oh that and he would be a million times better

I hope he wins but I am expecting he will be beaten.  So many redneck hicks in the US it would not surprise at all. 

Garts link said:
I hope he wins but I am expecting he will be beaten.  So many redneck hicks in the US it would not surprise at all. 
  It galls me how much sway those ignorant hillbillys are allowed to have over the affairs of the world.

Of much more importance is the NZ elections next weekend :D

Hopefully the Dog Clark will be on her way

byso link said:
I also hope Obama wins

You do realise he's not of the conservative ilk?

As for the NZ election, I hear a hung Parliament is possible.  Clark will definitely be on her way in that case.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=178866.msg202301#msg202301 date=1225547012]
I also hope Obama wins

As for the NZ election, I hear a hung Parliament is possible.  Clark will definitely be on her way in that case.
[/quote]

There will be a hung parliament no matter what in NZ because they have proportional representation. 

The nationals will probably get enough votes to form a coalition easily enough to get the majority.  Clark will need to rely on the greens. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=178866.msg202295#msg202295 date=1225520610]
  It galls me how much sway those ignorant hillbillys are allowed to have over the affairs of the world.
[/quote]

Yeah cause that 1 man 1 vote thing is so old now isn't it :)

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178866.msg202320#msg202320 date=1225604253]
I also hope Obama wins

[/quote]

There will be a hung parliament no matter what in NZ because they have proportional representation. 

The nationals will probably get enough votes to form a coalition easily enough to get the majority.  Clark will need to rely on the greens. 
[/quote]

True, the scary part of things is that if the Labour and Greens scrape enough support together to get in, the country if stuffed. Are enough loonies to listen to the Greenies view over here too

Hopefully Clark nailed her coffin shut last week. Party president flew over to Oz, to dig some dirt on John Key, and came back with 24kg of paperwork on him !!! They let the info out, and it backfired big time on them and turned some swing voters off them, with Clark denying any knowledge of the blokes trip to Oz, before later in the week it was put to her that he flew over on Labour party money and she has to sign the trip off before hand, so she was forced to change her story. Not a great thing when they are basing their entire campaign on "trust"

Weren't the exclusive brethren loonies heavily involved in the political scene in NZ ?? What a bunch of fruit loops that lot are........unfortunately the manage to get the ear of some of our stupidier conservative politicians over here as well.

As for the US, I initially didn't think that the good old boys would be ready for a black President, but as the campaign has progressed I wouldn't be surprised if Obama gets up. I think McCain will rue the day they decided on Palin as a VP running mate.

By the way, does anybody know if the war on terror in Iraq is still going on ?? Haven't heard much about it lately

The exclusive brethren are complete nutjobs and that is coming from a conservative Christian. They had a lot of influence in the Howard Govt and they also get involved in the US. Even though they don't vote, they seek to have a very controllilng influence.

Matabele link said:
I also hope Obama wins

[/quote]

Do you realise The USA is a hugely f-cked up nation, needing a deluxe shake up by some one that seems genuine.

Fro link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178866.msg202298#msg202298 date=1225525184]
[/quote]

[/quote]  1 man one vote is a nonsense.  Americans should have to take a test to qualify to vote.  Be asked simple things like what is the capital of the UK etc.  If they fail, they don't vote.

If you are even 1% serious with that crap, that is one of the most arrogant things I have ever heard.

You crap on about being disenfranchised and then you advocate democracy being nonsense.

Can't have it both ways.

I'm deadly serious, particularly when it comes to compulsory voting.  People should earn the right to vote by being politically aware - particularly when their vote impacts on the entire globe.

And democracy is a nonsense.  Western political process is about who has the most political donations to spend on manipulation.  Corrupt as all get out.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=178866.msg202328#msg202328 date=1225609307]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178866.msg202298#msg202298 date=1225525184]
[/quote]

[/quote]  1 man one vote is a nonsense.  Americans should have to take a test to qualify to vote.  Be asked simple things like what is the capital of the UK etc.  If they fail, they don't vote.
[/quote]

Actually I would say that in general the level of discussion here about politics is much more mature than that in Aus. But then again I have been living in berkeley, where an uneducated person is regarded as someone with only one degree. 

The Gronk link said:
But then again I have been living in berkeley, where an uneducated person is regarded as someone with only one degree. 

Exactly - and you'd find similar in Canberra.

I'm referring to the down home yokels in the rust belt who will cast their vote according to who lets them keep the most guns. 

One interesting difference here is that people applaud those with money and deride those with an education, whereas in Australia I feel it is the other way around. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6