Unsung Hero(s) .. the true superstars

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
In response to a crack at Luke Williamson and goat photos in another thread ... I thought for a moment, and decided the topic deserved it's own discussion ... and because it upsets XV-1 whenever I start a thread ...

Didn't he have possession of the 'photos'? (Apparently 'goat' photos, if old Silvertails posts are credible.

Bob, that seems to be the go to comment from people that think a club can afford to have superstars and Australian rep players in every position ... and put grief upon players who fall short of those lofty ambitions ..

Realistically, a team can only afford one real mega-star, perhaps two super-stars, a couple of stars and maybe 6/7 really good players .. that however still leaves about 5 players in your 17 that are either emerging talent or shelf fillers ...

And here is the rub ... it is these shelf fillers that can and often make the difference ... to be successful every team needs these blokes to play ABOVE their pay grades ... and Manly have had some good ones ... but they are also the same players that unfairly and undeservedly get shiite put on them for not being as good as some people think they should be ...

For example .. Luke Williamson played 260 1st grade games .. 173 for Manly (and Nth Eagles) , scored 36 tries, 243 goals, and 3 FG's ,,, played lock, Centre, 5/8, 2nd row and hooker ... played in our 2007 grand final, and was ruled out of the 2008 Grand final with injury .. and that's a career many superstars would be proud of ... yet .. the crap persists ..

Today it is Crocker and Parker ... but it will be these very blokes playing above their pay grades that will contribute as much to our success as Tommy .. because we need players on their wages, to be able to pay someone like Tom's his wages

Who else has been underestimated by the sausage roll eaters ...

In response to a crack at Luke Williamson and goat photos in another thread ... I thought for a moment, and decided the topic deserved it's own discussion ... and because it upsets XV-1 whenever I start a thread ...

Bob, that seems to be the go to comment from people that think a club can afford to have superstars and Australian rep players in every position ... and put grief upon players who fall short of those lofty ambitions ..

Realistically, a team can only afford one real mega-star, perhaps two super-stars, a couple of stars and maybe 6/7 really good players .. that however still leaves about 5 players in your 17 that are either emerging talent or shelf fillers ...

And here is the rub ... it is these shelf fillers that can and often make the difference ... to be successful every team needs these blokes to play ABOVE their pay grades ... and Manly have had some good ones ... but they are also the same players that unfairly and undeservedly get shiite put on them for not being as good as some people think they should be ...

For example .. Luke Williamson played 260 1st grade games .. 173 for Manly (and Nth Eagles) , scored 36 tries, 243 goals, and 3 FG's ,,, played lock, Centre, 5/8, 2nd row and hooker ... played in our 2007 grand final, and was ruled out of the 2008 Grand final with injury .. and that's a career many superstars would be proud of ... yet .. the crap persists ..

Today it is Crocker and Parker ... but it will be these very blokes playing above their pay grades that will contribute as much to our success as Tommy .. because we need players on their wages, to be able to pay someone like Tom's his wages

I keep a particular eye on Parker in defence and I’d go as far as saying he’s in the top 5 defensive centres in the comp.He wouldn’t run out of sight in a dark alley but not much gets past him.I worry what the left side will look like if the rumour was true that Garrick was moving into the centres,it’s a tricky spot to defend

Owen Cunningham, Matt Dunford, John Jones, Craig Hancock, Daniel Gartner, Frank Stokes, Mal Cochrane - spring to mind.

None of the above seem to feature on any list of past stars - but in terms of effort, application and desire to win - they're all up there.

I keep a particular eye on Parker in defence and I’d go as far as saying he’s in the top 5 defensive centres in the comp.He wouldn’t run out of sight in a dark alley but not much gets past him.I worry what the left side will look like if the rumour was true that Garrick was moving into the centres,it’s a tricky spot to defend
And as much as I would like him to have more pace, he not only takes the hard runs out of trouble, he is a great line runner. Garrick will get more than a couple of tries with Parker getting the attention of the opposite winger running the decoy.

@Woodsie Parker was interviewed after yesterday's game by ABC Radio. When asked about his defensive efforts, he replied that for him, defence is the most important part of the game. When asked about Manly's backrowers, he said he liked them because they 'butter the bread on both sides', i.e. they are good in both attack & defence

Great thread @Woodsie. The unsung heroes, legends of their club and their supporters, no matter what the Sir Pullalots on the media might rant on about! So many happy memories already...

You can check the time stamp if you think I’m being a suck up (that doesn’t sound right…) anyway, when I was doing my MVP yesterday, being the deep thinker I am, I actually took time to think who were the blokes (unsung heroes) that tackled their asses off, so Tommy gets to do Tommy things. And it was easily Parker and Croker imo.

@Woodsie Parker was interviewed after yesterday's game by ABC Radio. When asked about his defensive efforts, he replied that for him, defence is the most important part of the game. When asked about Manly's backrowers, he said he liked them because they 'butter the bread on both sides', i.e. they are good in both attack & defence
I would’ve loved it if Parker said something like, " yeah, it was the first game in years where someone didn’t try and decapitate me. That was pretty special".

Owen Cunningham, Matt Dunford, John Jones, Craig Hancock, Daniel Gartner, Frank Stokes, Mal Cochrane - spring to mind.

None of the above seem to feature on any list of past stars - but in terms of effort, application and desire to win - they're all up there.
Woaah you've been in the wrong circles
All those mentioned were stars of my day.
Kosef, Gartner and Menzies were the ultimate backrow.
Oj was a machine
Jughead ran a pivitol role in our mid 90's sides all of those boys earned their stripes and were recognised for it

Woaah you've been in the wrong circles
All those mentioned were stars of my day.
Kosef, Gartner and Menzies were the ultimate backrow.
Oj was a machine
Jughead ran a pivitol role in our mid 90's sides all of those boys earned their stripes and were recognised for it
I'm probably thinking of outside Manly circles - general RL talk with other supporters.

I'm with you - all the above kept me entertained in many visits to our communal 'sacred site'.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4