University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I remember reading one-eyed eel after we lapped them a few years ago at Brookvale. Some guy on there called for all islander players to leave the NRL. He said “They have Ruined a once good game”. Definitely someone who wants to return to the “good old days”.

The worst racism I saw at a game was in the 80s when a Pom on the hill hammered Hanley for being black. Everyone was uncomfortable and telling him to shut up, but the Pom kept going hard, telling everyone to fook off.

Typical fkn pom. They're all racists.

/sarcastic irony

Done, good luck with it.

I don’t know if the NRL and the clubs can do much more to nullify these individuals poor behaviour.
And the thing is ( IMO) it’s a small percentage that act like arseholes but we are of course all tarred with the same brush.

I grew up in a town with 1/3 aboriginal people , went to school with them , played footy and cricket with them , employed them and much like us most of them are ok too.

But just like us a small percentage are radical bastards and are equally racist against the white population.

There won’t be a fix to this in my lifetime and I doubt even my kids lifetime as it’s partially “ human nature “.

Racism is an individual's attitude. Not a societal one.

You're never going to stop isolated incidents. It's just life.

But thankfully, most of us are beyond that. Working out whether we like someone or not has little to do with their ethnic background.

I thought the survey was an exercise in confirmation bias. The survey just assumed everybody’s perception of what constitutes racial bias is the same. It seems the measure is how someone chooses to perceive it.

Ok ill put myself out there , i probably would be considered a racist , however i don't believe i am .
I live by the age old simple rule of treat others the way you would like to be treated , no matter colour , religion etc , but going by some things ive read and seen in todays age i would fall under the racist banner i think which is a shame for me .
But i just don't care where people are from , gay , trans etc , treat everyone the same as you would like to be treated and all should be good.
Well maybe not eels fans .......lol lol lol , just joking

Ok ill put myself out there , i probably would be considered a racist , however i don't believe i am .
I live by the age old simple rule of treat others the way you would like to be treated , no matter colour , religion etc , but going by some things ive read and seen in todays age i would fall under the racist banner i think which is a shame for me .
But i just don't care where people are from , gay , trans etc , treat everyone the same as you would like to be treated and all should be good.
Well maybe not eels fans .......lol lol lol , just joking
Most racists don't think they are ...LOL...

Same though because I don't treat anyone different I'm probably classed racist too by today's standard.
Simply because I believe all lives matter..

I feel the clever people who are driving all the nonsense today are missing some important facts and details. Firstly, we have been on the planet a long time, and for the most part of that time, we have hated and fought people who are different from ourselves, or had different beliefs to ourselves, and this isn't an excuse, it does not matter what rules are in place, people will still hate because we are human. Its how we have evolved, we cant change it, its fact.

Secondly, its all about context, theres a thing called humour, if there is no harm intended, lets not try to get too sensitive, if no harm was intended. I think we need to look at the context of the situation. No need to be cruel or intentionally going out to offend someone, but in reality, there will always be people who will go out of their way to be hurtful.

lastly, racism is such a big issue today, its merely a small part of discrimination full stop. For these goodies wanting a perfect world, lets attack the whole problem, not just race. I went to school with Aboriginals, Indians, Asians, and who copped it the most?, the poor tall and nerdy redhead, who's sticking up for him? The darker ones never copped it. I think all of us have copped a bad time over something, fat, ugly, dumb, poor, you stink, you name it. I'm English, do you think I copped it? Of course I did, and still do at times. I give it back too. Class discrimination is worse in my opinion, and in many ways overrides everything else, people from the wrong neck of the woods will get frowned at no matter what colour they are.
As Mark from Brisbane said, its partially human nature and its going to be a long road, but are we ever going to get perfection, certainly not. I would like to think I am nice to people who are nice to me, very simple, I doesn't need to be a rule for me to do this, and if it is, some people will ignore it anyway, its life, and I am also going to have my own opinions even if the do-gooders want us all to think the same.

I feel the clever people who are driving all the nonsense today are missing some important facts and details. Firstly, we have been on the planet a long time, and for the most part of that time, we have hated and fought people who are different from ourselves, or had different beliefs to ourselves, and this isn't an excuse, it does not matter what rules are in place, people will still hate because we are human. Its how we have evolved, we cant change it, its fact.

Secondly, its all about context, theres a thing called humour, if there is no harm intended, lets not try to get too sensitive, if no harm was intended. I think we need to look at the context of the situation. No need to be cruel or intentionally going out to offend someone, but in reality, there will always be people who will go out of their way to be hurtful.

lastly, racism is such a big issue today, its merely a small part of discrimination full stop. For these goodies wanting a perfect world, lets attack the whole problem, not just race. I went to school with Aboriginals, Indians, Asians, and who copped it the most?, the poor tall and nerdy redhead, who's sticking up for him? The darker ones never copped it. I think all of us have copped a bad time over something, fat, ugly, dumb, poor, you stink, you name it. I'm English, do you think I copped it? Of course I did, and still do at times. I give it back too. Class discrimination is worse in my opinion, and in many ways overrides everything else, people from the wrong neck of the woods will get frowned at no matter what colour they are.
As Mark from Brisbane said, its partially human nature and its going to be a long road, but are we ever going to get perfection, certainly not. I would like to think I am nice to people who are nice to me, very simple, I doesn't need to be a rule for me to do this, and if it is, some people will ignore it anyway, its life, and I am also going to have my own opinions even if the do-gooders want us all to think the same.
Very well said!!

It’s not a perfect world but the PC people on the world expect it to be.

Honestly at school I had Aboriginal mates , Greek mates , Italian mates , Pommie bastards ( sorry mates ) and we all gave it to each other non stop.

Did any of them have lasting issues as a result ??

Of course not.

This PC bull**** we have now where my grand daughters day care ( she actually in years 7 now ) couldn’t celebrate Easter or Christmas because there were two Muslim kids there is absolute and utter garbage ( and in fact even the Muslim kids parents didn’t complain ), but that did happen !!

Its bull**** and everyone other than the PC brigade knows it!!

Very well said!!

It’s not a perfect world but the PC people on the world expect it to be.

Honestly at school I had Aboriginal mates , Greek mates , Italian mates , Pommie bastards ( sorry mates ) and we all gave it to each other non stop.

Did any of them have lasting issues as a result ??

Of course not.

This PC bull**** we have now where my grand daughters day care ( she actually in years 7 now ) couldn’t celebrate Easter or Christmas because there were two Muslim kids there is absolute and utter garbage ( and in fact even the Muslim kids parents didn’t complain ), but that did happen !!

Its bull**** and everyone other than the PC brigade knows it!!
Having lived and worked in Muslim countries, western celebrations are not frowned upon like Xmas etc.

Respect is the key, understand the culture that you have put yourself in and respect it.

I would think most people when living in other cultures do this, as Mark highlighted the parents are fine with western celebrations as they put themselves there.

Most PC people need a dose of realism and real life experience.

Having lived and worked in Muslim countries, western celebrations are not frowned upon like Xmas etc.

Respect is the key, understand the culture that you have put yourself in and respect it.

I would think most people when living in other cultures do this, as Mark highlighted the parents are fine with western celebrations as they put themselves there.

Most PC people need a dose of realism and real life experience.
As a retired travel agent I’ve been to many many countries with very different beliefs than ours.

I ( and we when my wife was with me ) always respect their customs / beliefs and when I’m in their country and you take your shoes off and have to wear a veil , you just do it.

Most ( but not all ) Muslim families appreciate that Christmas is something we celebrate and are happy for us to do so.

I lived next to an Iranian couple in our townhouse complex for a number of years , we’d do common area get togethers to celebrate their special days , and ours.

It was never an issue.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10