Under-rated manly sides - 1982

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fox League at 12.30pm today have 30 minutes highlights of 1982 semi final Manly 20 Eels 0.

A different John Gocher officiated the 5m rule in the grand final.

Manly played the Eels five times in 1982. Home & away, KB Cup, this semi and the grand final. Manly 1978 team has the club record for most games as they played Sharks six times that year - Craven Mild Cup, away, home, semi, grand final & grand final replay.

Also a version of 1982 semi is on Youtube.

Last edited:
A lot will probably disagree on this, but how about the 2002 Northern Eagles side - was probably one of the weakest teams ever fielded by the club, but nearly made the finals
So so true. I watched nearly all the games that season. We basically had a team of no names who should have won the spoon however we won so many games. We beat the roosters in round 3 with Brendon Reeves marking Freddy.

Players like Mitch Creary who had never played league were scoring tries for us and Luke Dorn had a blinder of a season in attack.

Dorn was like Phil Blake - could attack but defence was an issue

I hate to admit it but the Eels backline had it all over us..

Sterling and Kenny had 100 yards on Thommo and Blake and of the 3/4ers only Ribot would of made their side. Eadie vs Taylor was our only positive.

I hated the Eels after they beat us twice in GF's i thought we had the team to win but the fact is they were too good.

But it made my trip to Parra Stadium on 20 March 88 the second best day in my football supporting life. Those cocky Eels fans were mouthing off pre game and giving it to me in my Manly jersey and cap. Many of them were actually crying at half time when we led 34-12, one wanted to bet me $100 the Eels would still win. I told him to sit down he was embarrassing himself and his family. After 30 unanswered points in the second half and a "we want 70" chant going around the stadium there wasnt an Eels fan to be seen.

Plenty of the big names were getting trounced like Sterling, Ella, Grothe, Lindner and Wynn.

Last edited:
So so true. I watched nearly all the games that season. We basically had a team of no names who should have won the spoon however we won so many games. We beat the roosters in round 3 with Brendon Reeves marking Freddy.

Players like Mitch Creary who had never played league were scoring tries for us and Luke Dorn had a blinder of a season in attack.

I get dirty that the 2002 season is treated as Northern Eagles and not Manly. The merger with Norths was ended before the 2002 season started.

I hate to admit it but the Eels backline hasd it all over us..

Sterling and Kenny had 100 yards on Thommo and Blake and of the 3/4ers only Ribot would of made their side. Eadie vs Taylor was our only positive.

I hated the Eels after they beat us twice in GF's i thought we had the team to win but the fact is they were too good.

But it made my trip to Parra Stadium on 20 March 88 the second best day in my football supporting life. Those cocky Eels fans were mouthing off pre game and giving it to me in my Manly jersey and cap. Many of them were actually crying at half time when we led 34-12, one wanted to bet me $100 the Eels would still win. I told him to sit down he was embarrassing himself and his family. After 30 unanswered points in the second half and a "we want 70" chant going around the stadium there wasnt an Eels fan to be seen.

Plenty of the big names were getting trounced like Sterling, Ella, Grothe, Lindner and Wynn.
Eels were up 12-0 in that 1988 game. The 1986 premiers vs the 1987 premiers. No contest.

Probably a case of Manly having an off day and playing some quite ordinary footy and the Eels lifting quite a bit for that 82 G F . Manly on paper should have had a real advantage over the Eels in the forwards and Fatty Vautin conceded after the match that it was a sub par performance by the side in general , and certainly his game . Was unlucky to miss the kangaroo tour though the Eels 2 nd rower John Muggleton was a good all round player who seemed to take his place . Good Manly back line also but that Eels back line combo certainly fired that day and many times ongoing after that . Really did well but also over achieved a little bit with the 2002 Manly [ Northern Eagles ] outfit and probably would not have gone too far into the final 's series if they did get over the final hurdle [ last round that season ] to make it .

I hate to admit it but the Eels backline had it all over us..

I watched a the 1988 game on YouTube recently (the full game). In the early part of the game Eric Grothe went off with an injured ankle. The reason? A nice then legal tackle by Phil Daley. Today it would be a hip drop and Daley would be in a bit of trouble. It was exactly like the one that saw Jackson Hastings break his ankle last season.

Let's not forget the coach. Bringing all together.

Loved the 1982 game replay. The forwards had time to call out and bait each other. Some serious hard hits tackling going on.

This constant push from the NRL & others that the faster the game the better it is makes me cry.

Lemme guess...the generation before said:

• Everyone these days has to have one of these 'youtube' things
  • Ugh...set to stupid pop music. Music was heaps better in my day
  • didn't see him make one tackle. Typical all flash.
  • Probably did this video thing so his manager gets him 50k a year. 50k!!! Overpaid players today.

lulz

(thanks for posting)

Manly side for the '82 GF was

1. Graham EADIE
2. John RIBOT DE BRESAC
3. Chris CLOSE
4. Michael BLAKE
5. Phil CAREY
6. Alan THOMPSON (c)
7. Phil BLAKE
8. Paul McCABE
14. Les BOYD
10. Paul VAUTIN
11. Terry RANDALL
12. Ray BROWN
13. Geoff GERARD

9. Bruce WALKER
15. Max KRILICH
18. Ian THOMSON
On their day the Great 82 Manly team had beaten every team including the Eels

But that Grand final match was not our day

We were far off from our best version

Certainly was an excitement machine in attack and in his prime Surprising that over time and particularly at Manly , he had some issues with his defence and more so in the bigger matches . Can"t think of a more prolific and effective chip and chase player , it was certainly a brilliant individual trait . Noted that he had a a bit of time as a centre , so would have to have had at least some defensive responsibilities there and couldn 't have been that shappy but did not have that many Manly games televised in his era to take particular notice .Maybe not a totally stella type Manly career but surely one of the most naturally gifted local players to don Manly colors .

I attended both the 82 & 83 GF’s

As good as we were , the Eels backs were a class above us.

I had more hope in 83, but they were still too good.

BUT, as history has showed they’ve done **** all since.

That Eels backline was arguably the best ever and Brett Kenny was the ONLY bloke I recall who got the better of the Legendary Wally Lewis - Kenny was a freakish talent.....their forward pack simply had to aim up and "get the job done" and the backline would do the rest.
I think the Seaeagles team was actually amazing on paper, but the Manly /Eels games in 1982 - 1983 was a good example of a great team beating a great group of players.
Those 2 GF's killed off Phil blake who was a Wizz kid and a confidence player, still was a dangerous player afterwards, but I feel we win those 2 GF's and he is in conversations as 1 of Manly's best ever players.

Blake left Manly after the 1986 season. He played at Brookie again in games vs Manly when at Souths, Norths, Canberra & Auckland.

In 1996 in the last five minutes of what would be his final game at Brookie, Blake got one more solo try.

Last edited:
I attended both the 82 & 83 GF’s

As good as we were , the Eels backs were a class above us.

I had more hope in 83, but they were still too good.

BUT, as history has showed they’ve done **** all since.
Went to '82 and '83 GFs. If they didn't have Kenny they wouldn't have won '81 '82 or '83. Everything he touched turned gold in that period. He was untouchable. Makes me sick thinking back to those days

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2