Two businessmen buy 22 per cent stake in Sea Eagles worth $5m

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A few years ago I did a quick google search and found there are a number of successful private/public partnerships models overseas for pro sport teams. The advantages in having the community fully engaged in their club are fairly obvious. The ownership we currently have at Sea Eagles may be well-meaning and hopefully will be successful but there is vast scope for greater community/fan involvement and we'd be stronger if that was to occur.

here's one overseas model
http://mic.com/articles/2952/green-...hip-of-organizations-is-economical#.ovS0jSzHd

To have more people with dosh putting up cash - in any capacity, whether by investing in Pennco or as sponsors - is a positive for the franchise. Just as it would be a negative if no corporates wanted to touch Manly, or if the Penns were to go bust.

The problem is the growing disconnect between fans and franchise under the private ownership model, in particular in its current incarnation.
I think you are greatly over rating the discontent. Almost everyone I have spoken to who is a Manly fan is 100% behind the club and cannot wait for the new season to start. I think you will find the vast majority of fans don't really care for the ownership structure or squabbling or whatever - all they care about is that there is a good team on the park and in that respect, the club has done their part in giving us that.

I think you are greatly over rating the discontent. Almost everyone I have spoken to who is a Manly fan is 100% behind the club and cannot wait for the new season to start. I think you will find the vast majority of fans don't really care for the ownership structure or squabbling or whatever - all they care about is that there is a good team on the park and in that respect, the club has done their part in giving us that.

You are right there, you only have to follow a few Facebook pages to see that.

Most have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, nor do they care, for them it's all about the on field performances.

Those of us on Silvertails are more exposed to a range of opinions, some you will agree with others you won't.

Success on the field is what will bring the next generation of fans to the fold. When you are under 10 and looking for a team to support nothing seals the deal more than a lap of honour in October. Kids want to support a team that wins.

On field success is essential in so many ways (membership, game day revenue, merchandise, sponsorship) but it has to be mindful of not just becoming a cold business "franchise". There is an intangible benefit tied into the tradition and history of the club which has to be nurtured and embraced. That's part of being a supporter, that buy in to the family

Success on the field is what will bring the next generation of fans to the fold. When you are under 10 and looking for a team to support nothing seals the deal more than a lap of honour in October. Kids want to support a team that wins.

On field success is essential in so many ways (membership, game day revenue, merchandise, sponsorship) but it has to be mindful of not just becoming a cold business "franchise". There is an intangible benefit tied into the tradition and history of the club which has to be nurtured and embraced. That's part of being a supporter, that buy in to the family

Trouble is they don't get rusted on.

I was gobsmacked in 2008 when attending that years GF, there would have been 60K Manly supporters v 20K Storm supporters, whereas the one the previous year seemed to be a much smaller turnout for the Eagles.

Most of the 2008 ones were wearing old (not current retro) supporters gear and so straight away I picked them for "fairweather" fans.

But the trouble is, where are those fans now??

You watch in 2016, we win the first 3 or 4 games and Brooky will be full again!!

That's exactly why we need a competitive side on the park. Success breeds success. The idea is to convert a %age of those fair weather fans to more regular and engaged members. Nothing wrong with a bandwagon rolling through the season, hopefully a few passengers will stay aboard for the "all stops" ride.

If you can't start the bandwagon in the first place then there is nothing to leverage off. I think the freshening up of the squad looks good on paper, however we still have to deliver results for it to be deemed a complete success.

Trouble is they don't get rusted on.

I was gobsmacked in 2008 when attending that years GF, there would have been 60K Manly supporters v 20K Storm supporters, whereas the one the previous year seemed to be a much smaller turnout for the Eagles.

Most of the 2008 ones were wearing old (not current retro) supporters gear and so straight away I picked them for "fairweather" fans.

But the trouble is, where are those fans now??

You watch in 2016, we win the first 3 or 4 games and Brooky will be full again!!
The lesson there is that the modern day child is generally a weak willed front runner. Blame the parents I say, of which I am one, although my kids have had Manly forced on them. Both have been members since birth. My youngest has no idea though and my eldest who is only 4 finds the bus trip from Narrabeen to Brookie to be infinitely more interesting than the game.

So, in conclusion, the Penns have pocketed 1.1million for the deal, but sold off 12% less than what they purchased in November 2014.

Don't let the spin fool you guys, none of that money actually went into Manly Sea Eagles' bank account.

And make sure you remember that next time you read about how Penn is willing to tip in some figure because he is a saint ... that had to payout a coach he inexplicably sacked.

While I love the sponsorship dollar of our jerseys, it is going to be the first time EVER that I wont be buying a jersey, jacket, training shirt or tshirts. The green is just way TOO BIG! :sick:
Totally agree.Its disgusting.I love Manly but i won't be buying any Merchindise.I will spend my money on my local club and buy there Merchindise.

The lesson there is that the modern day child is generally a weak willed front runner. Blame the parents I say, of which I am one, although my kids have had Manly forced on them. Both have been members since birth. My youngest has no idea though and my eldest who is only 4 finds the bus trip from Narrabeen to Brookie to be infinitely more interesting than the game.
That will change. I did the same and at the same age as yours my kids were the same. I now have three teenagers brainwashed. We go to each home game and the kids love it. I've even trained them to "love" Zorba as the "great" man walks past us on the way to shove some pies in his gob.

If we didn't have Penn you wouldn't have a team to follow. We lose big money every year. We have no leagues club, revenue losing ground with high rent and small amount of members. Be happy we have a team that will be top 4 and enjoy the ride.

If we didn't have Penn you wouldn't have a team to follow. We lose big money every year. We have no leagues club, revenue losing ground with high rent and small amount of members. Be happy we have a team that will be top 4 and enjoy the ride.

Fair point, and I have never disputed that, doesn't mean I have to like what they do to get to this point, but don't think I'm unaware of how lucky we are to still have an independently funded team.

We only have to go back a couple of years (if that) when DAvid Perry broke even with all the boardroom trouble and high Brookie rent.

It can be done.

I do appreciate having rich owners though. More $ and extra business can't be a bad thing. Too bad URM were knocked back when they wanted in a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder why the penns sold shares now and wouldn't let URM in. Obviously different sides and the new boys are on the "right side"!

That will change. I did the same and at the same age as yours my kids were the same. I now have three teenagers brainwashed. We go to each home game and the kids love it. I've even trained them to "love" Zorba as the "great" man walks past us on the way to shove some pies in his gob.
I don't know whether to label that a like, funny, optimistic or dislike. Well done!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4