Tries against Manly from kicks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Most of them were when Turbo was stuck in the defensive line and Titans went one way and switched back the other way. I dont think Titans did that by design, just straight out of options so switched the play back the other side and then oh may as well kick. Hard to defend if executed right and would catch most teams out.

Saab looks pretty vulnerable when the ball is on the ground. Tom admitted in an interview after the game that his positional play was not up to scratch. So it’s been noted.
Yes I thought when he tried to bend down to take one of their in goal kicks he looked very clumsy and uncomfortable, it reminded me of Turbo in a game against the dogs a few years ago when Reynolds put a low kick through and Turbo couldn't get down to it, I think Saab needs to work with Turbo on his technique, Tom seems to have overcome his inadequacy in this particular area and should be able to help him with this part of his game imo

Most of them were when Turbo was stuck in the defensive line and Titans went one way and switched back the other way. I dont think Titans did that by design, just straight out of options so switched the play back the other side and then oh may as well kick. Hard to defend if executed right and would catch most teams out.
100% they were by design. When the fullback is nowhere to be seen (i.e. stuck in the defensive line), you put the grubber through. red zone playbook 101 mate. Tom was well off in his positional play yesterday, there's no two ways about it. Having said that, with more awareness, other players in the team could have responded better, helping tom out - you could see a marked improvement in this in the second half (esp re garrick)

A blessing in disguise , Des noted it so another part of the game they can improve on , only be better for the next time a team thinks they can score from a kick

100% they were by design. When the fullback is nowhere to be seen (i.e. stuck in the defensive line), you put the grubber through. red zone playbook 101 mate. Tom was well off in his positional play yesterday, there's no two ways about it. Having said that, with more awareness, other players in the team could have responded better, helping tom out - you could see a marked improvement in this in the second half (esp re garrick)
Peachey running sideways and then turning and running back the other side because he has no options is by design? It worked but it wasn't by design!
Agree Tom was caught in the line way too much late in the tackle count but he can't be everywhere.

Peachey running sideways and then turning and running back the other side because he has no options is by design? It worked but it wasn't by design!
Agree Tom was caught in the line way too much late in the tackle count but he can't be everywhere.
Yes, maybe it was because of running out of options and Tom got caught out being in the line on the wrong side of the field but it is possible Peachey knew Tom was hanging in the line. It is a good tactic to draw the FB one side then switch quickly out the other. The FB should hang around the middle third near the DB line to be able to cover as much of the field as possible...not IN the line. Tom knows that.
3 kicks were just about undefendable without a FB.

Interesting thread we were talking with the boys after the game & all of us mentioned we’re terrible against opposition kicks on our line.I’m sure des will address this & fix it.

There is more to it than meets the eye with the tries from kicks. Manly’s goal line defence was very effective but sapped a lot of juice out of us. When you are fatigued, it is hard to get up quickly and put pressure on the kicker. Without kick pressure, you let the attacker get on the front foot, take it to the line with time and place the kick perfectly. Also, doing it early in the tackle count means the 1 is in the line (as Robbie stated).

The best example of this was when Peachy kicked for Fifita. He had so much time. Time he wouldn’t have gotten with better line speed. Line speed suffers with fatigue and you can’t see it on TV so you assume they are playing with a full tank but aren’t.

The Titans completion rate and our inability to play field position (take the Tom to Parker error which wasn’t the play at that stage of the game - we’d done so much defending we just need to kick long and early) put the Titans in position to do what they did.

The fatigue level in that first half in the last ten mins was pretty intense. We were gassed. Positionally Tom is very good. Tge Fafita try was near on impossible to defend off broken play and it landed pin perfect. Herbert was a deflection. Campbells first was another kick where he and the outside back were at the ball right at the same time. The wingers direct kick try was well out wide. Maybe sone slight position issues but apart from the ricochet, I just thought the Titans kicks were on point and near on impossible to defend. I wasn’t blowing up at any of our players on those tries really just frustrated they all seemed to come off for Titans. Another day none or maybe only one or two come off.

The fatigue level in that first half in the last ten mins was pretty intense. We were gassed. Positionally Tom is very good. Tge Fafita try was near on impossible to defend off broken play and it landed pin perfect. Herbert was a deflection. Campbells first was another kick where he and the outside back were at the ball right at the same time. The wingers direct kick try was well out wide. Maybe sone slight position issues but apart from the ricochet, I just thought the Titans kicks were on point and near on impossible to defend. I wasn’t blowing up at any of our players on those tries really just frustrated they all seemed to come off for Titans. Another day none or maybe only one or two come off.
As Tom himself put it, being the fullback, 5 kick tries is poor positional play, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, normally he is very good - but no one can deny that he was very poor in that area in Sunday's first half

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4